Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: 1911 Aluminum Buffers

1911 Aluminum Buffers

Hello,

I've wanted to try these for a few years now and kept forgetting to order them. Just wasn't a priority.

It looks good installed:

And it seems to work:

I like buffers in my 1911s for a couple reasons. First, it "feels good" to pad the recoil. Second, I like to lessen the stroke a bit so that the slide can lock back after the last round before it speeds up too much. I've had to reshape notches in 1911 slides and find it irritating.

Regards,
    Josh

Personally, I have never heard of these aluminum shock buffers before. I use the poly-type, be they red, blue, or black, in all my 1911s and am very sold on them. Since they are "squishy" in a hard sort of way, I have to wonder what the benefit of aluminum buffs would be. After installing a new poly buff and shooting a box of cartridges I can see the outline of the rear of the recoil spring guide imprinted in the buff. But, aluminum being hard and less yielding I have to wonder if the recoil is being buffered and any benefit being derived. I'll be happy to hear more about their benefit from those more informed than I. (of which I'm sure there are many! )

Hello,

The idea is that behind brass punches vs steel, or an aluminum or brass hammer.

The aluminum will deform enough to protect the steel.

My concern with the fiber and polymer buffers is their susceptibility to oil. They do still tear and can render the pistol inoperable.

The aluminum buffer should be much better in these aspects. However, this still needs to be proven out.

Regards,
    Josh

If your using the example of a brass or alum drift/punch to these buffers then they don't really"buffer" at all in absorbing the impact force it simply transfers the impact energy without maring or deforming the steel on steel contact points .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    One thing you have to watch, is after a number of impacts, they expand outward and will eventually press up against the bottom of the barrel causing stoppages. You must keep an eye on this, and trim the shock buff back as needed. Of course the amount and rate of deformation will depend on the load you are using. I have experienced this issue. I don't think they work any better than the poly shock buffs, and cost twice as much. There are some junk poly shockbuffs out there, giving all bad reputations.

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    If your using the example of a brass or alum drift/punch to these buffers then they don't really"buffer" at all in absorbing the impact force it simply transfers the impact energy without maring or deforming the steel on steel contact points .
    Yup.

Regards,
    Josh

Boolit Buddy
    I have always use the poly buffers, never had a issue with oil or cleaners. the last one I changed was around the 4K mark and was still good ..... just changed it because I was there .....LOL