WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This garden muncher will munch no more!

Boolit Master

This garden muncher will munch no more!

Looked out the window and saw this breeder munching away 100 yards or so from the house in the bottom land. Only thing handy that would put the pill where it needed to be was the 30-06, but it was still zeroed for deer loads and all I had were some Ed Harris Red Dot loads (Lee 170 RNFP). Held over on the first shot, but missed. Tried again, holding right on the critter this time and connected. No DRT, so I took the SP101 with some light 38s with me for backup. Despite a nice hole in the chest, it was still staring at me when I got there. A Lee 158 SWCTL to the head finished it off. I was just thinking about sitting in the stand for a bit of groundhog action, but turns out I didn't even have to!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 05-18-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Another story with a happy ending
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Bar b que ????
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Bar b que ????
    Great idea! I've already cleaned it. I'll pressure cook it, debone, and add some BBQ sauce. Should be fine on a bun!

Boolit Grand Master
    We have rockchucks out west. I don't hunt them often, but have cartwheeled one off the top of my backpack as he burglarized it with a head shot, 22 LR from a Walther PP. DRT. I didn't and don't view them as table fare--coyotes and bears gotta eat, too--and better they fill up on rock rats than upon farm animals and poultry.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

In Remembrance

And a fond farewell to Mr. Woody Charles.Robert

Boolit Master

Nice job with the '06. As the Coronel said " the 30-06 is always right".
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    I just shot one in my backyard, maybe 30 mins ago. Used my Axis .223. 55 gr jacketed. 55 yd shot.

Boolit Master
    We have prairie dogs here in Co. Even the men on the Lewis & Clark expedition wouldn't eat them.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Turned out fine. Texture was a bit soft, I'd probably give it a few minutes under the broiler next time to crisp it up a little.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Looks good!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Them whistle pigs are pretty tough critters.

Banned

We don't have them here, though I have seen a few and am told they are moving this way and will eventually habitate here.

Nice shooting.

Boolit Master
    When I was a tyke in Pennsylvania, maybe 1962 or so the farmer that my parents rented from used to pay me real money to shoot woodchucks. They even provided the ammunition and traps if I requested them. That was back when all a person had to do was ask if he could hunt on the farm.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Ground hogs can sure mes up ditch banks. They didn't stay long if Dad knew about them.

Boolit Master

The one I plugged through the ear with my sons .22 back in 16 got turned into brunswick stew. I'd love to whack some more. They are everywhere now.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    When I was a tyke in Pennsylvania, maybe 1962 or so the farmer that my parents rented from used to pay me real money to shoot woodchucks. They even provided the ammunition and traps if I requested them. That was back when all a person had to do was ask if he could hunt on the farm.
    Yeah...you don't have to go back that far. I was a teenager in the late 70's and the farmers were always happy to see the groundhogs removed from the property'. Knock on a farmers door and ask nicely and they'd set you up in a great spot. I remember hunting them with an old scoped 303 Savage. It was great fun to wait for the little kamikazes to poke there heads up. It was better when you'd carry a few back and see that farmers face light up when he saw you were successful.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was a kid in the '60's, 'Ol Doc. Fortune (veterinarian) had his farm across from Selkirk State Park in NY. (east coast of Lake Ontario). He was tickled to let a very young teenager wander about with a .22 to take care of his wood chuck problem. He had a TON of 'em. Best 'chuckin' I ever had. I almost commandeered my Dad's .22 until he bought me a .22 mag. What a fond memory.

In Remembrance

About this time of year I have a neighbor that has a unique way of dealing with Mr. Chuck. He has a sideline business of septic tank cleaning besides farming. He fills his sucker trucks tank with water and drives around his fields fence rows looking for burrows. When he finds such a den he shoves his large discharge hose (4") in the hole and turns on the discharge pump. In about 30 seconds it flushes out a chuck somewhere it has an escape hole. The neighbor is waiting with an 870 full of 3" goose loads or his 760 pump .243 with a 3-9 scope. Not only is he getting Mr. Chuck he is cleaning out his truck and fertilizing the ground as well.Robert

When I was a kid, I shot several with a .22 Marlin Model 60. Later gave them problems with a Savage 110 .223 loaded with Sierra 55 gr. spritzers. I've not killed one in years. The coyotes keep'em thinned out good now.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast