Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My brother had a huge stroke, prayers needed

Scott has been moved to a care facility. He seems pleased with the move and also seems to be communicating better. Is not thrilled with the food. Here is a simplified verson of what he says: If you think of a three sentence paragraph as he starts the first sentence he's doing ok, about midway through he begins to falter (inserting a word that does not belong). The second sentence starts ok but quickly dives into giberish. The third is pure confusion. Many times he will talk for several sentences before he falters, sometimes just a few sentences. We think he thinks he is talking just fine, because he was talking to a friend on his phone and the topic was getting dinner at Applebys. His friend said he would not come over and pick him up, he was in no shape to go out. That conversation took a while to get out. By thinking about his friends answers we could get a rudimentary understanding of what Scott was saying and how he is processing incoming info. Sometimes he's doing well, sometimes he's just lost it. No apparent anger unless he just can't get the word out or is struggling with getting his idea across. I think if I'd been through what he has there would be moments of anxiety and moments where it all seems impossible which would express itself in anger to one degree or another. This week he starts occupational therapy and speech therapy. He is getting better it jst isn't happening at a regular pace.

I believe the prayers are being answered, Thank you and keep it up, please.
    Last edited by bbogue1; 05-28-2018 at 09:33 PM.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I have been around folks that have had strokes quite a bit and his speech and behavior is 'normal' for the trauma he has undergone . Recovery is slow but with therapists and help he can improve . Still praying for him and the family . Thank you for the report !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Moderator Emeritus

Stroke is a very treacherous and ornery foe. But not even it can change a man's basic nature, nor eliminate his faith. God be with your friend. Watching someone recover from a stroke is a truly inspiring thing. My dad had several. I miss him, but I'll always remember that his basic nature never really changed. God be with him and your loved ones.

Yesterday Scott showed some signs of improvement and that the occupational and physical therapy are beginning to work. Like most days when Bill entered Scotts room and said hi, Scott greated him. Today he's not recognizing anyone when they come into the room, Bill entered his room, said Hi, how's it going. No response. Bill put his hand on Scotts leg and then Scott left his TV viewing snd looked at Bill. Not a drug induced stare no real facial tells. We don't know what happened. Initial stroke was May 4. maybe this is another one or drugs were mixed up. No anger present. Bill said it is like Scott can't hear him.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Late last week Scott began not responding to verbal discussion. He's happy to see those who he knows when they come into his room, however, when they speak to him he acts like he's not hearing them. We are fearing he has had another stroke which has taken away his hearing. Today he has 4 appointments that may ferit this conumdrum out. Thank you for the prayers, physically he's fine as can be exibited by his healthy apetite, it is just his communication skills that are suffering.

Thanks for the update, bb. Prayers for Scott continue.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

I hope I am wrong. Fighting a stroke is a bit like punching a pillow. You keep swinging haymakers and it just gives and comes back. That will wear you out. Eventually it can put you into a tail spin where you just don't care. Again I hope I am wrong.

Keep connecting, keep working for progress. Keep pointing it out when it happens. Stay positive.

Keep praying. I will.

Loss of hearing is most likely from a bleed in the brain. Scott suffered another large stroke over the weekend. This time to the Right side. Seems to have affected eyesight as well as hearing. He's back in the hospital with a team of Drs. trying to figure out what to do. I would imagine he is pretty frightened. Please pray that he has peace and he figures out people are trying to help him. God has a plan, I have great faith; he is in control.

Father God. I lift up Scott to you. Be with him and give him peace. Be with the doctors and guild them as they make decisions as how to treat this. I pray that you would lay your healing hands upon him. In the name of your Son, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen

Yesterday afternoon my brother, his wife, Scott's wife and I met to discuss the situation. If you can imagine someone peacefully sleeping on their back, mouth hanging open with regular breathing, a bit shallow, in a low voice muttering in his sleep, words that are not understandable you will have a picture of Scott's current state. The reason for the meeting was the doctors want to put a feeding tube in since he has not eaten since before the latest stroke on Saturday. They found he cannot swallow, thus is incapable of feeding himself. He does have a Do Not Resusitate (DNR) which clearly says he wants hydration (through IV) but no sustinance. The decision to allow the feeding tube must be made then delivered to the docs today. As a family we agreed to follow Scott's wishes and not allow the feeding tube. We discussed hospice and moving him to a care facility or back home.

This is hard to type. Scott is pretty much at peace, still occasionally asking us to help him. He cannot hear. is nearly blind in one eye with very limited vision in the other primarily due to his diabetes. He cannot make any kind of sentence and is unable to eat or drink. Somewhere around 3/4 of his brain is dead from lack of blood due to the strokes.

As a retired policeman, an avid ham radio operator and one who loved cruising on his motorcycles this is a condition I certainly did not expect. The decisions are easy based on his desires and condition, but, so, so hard. There is a calmness within the family, that, to me, is evidence of God's hand.

In December Scott and I met at the Kansas City airport and spent a wonderful week together touring the state of Kansas, we talked of God and Jesus and I told him about Paul and how Paul never met Jesus before the cross, yet became the author of much of the new testament. Based upon his past I elected not to ask about his relationship with Jesus, thinking I would have more time. Big mistake. Would you Please continue praying for Scott, the family and the professionals around him.

May God continue to work His will with you and your family. Praying for peace and comfort, in Jesus name. Amen
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Today brought news. Scott cannot swallow, therefore cannot take certain medicines like his blood pressure med. This puts him at risk for another stroke. He is fragile enough that he will not survive should he have one. The only thing the hospital can do is to keep him comfortable. I'm going there tomorrow so I should see him sometime tomorrow evening. I know he is most likely in the active death stage of life, but, I need to be there. I am going to try something quite creative. Since he's been a ham operator since the days when much contact was through morris code I am going to tap on his head in code to see if there is any reaction. I know he cannot hear or, for all practicle purposes, he can't see, however I do think he can feel still. We'll see. If nothing else just to say Love U and goodby. Tears in my eyes, lump in my throat right now.

God is good and mercyful. Isaiah 43:2
    Last edited by bbogue1; 06-08-2018 at 09:41 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

BB thanks for the posts on Scott. I am truly sorry for his condition and will continue to pray for Scott .....

Father, I know we are asking for comfort and peace and healing for Scott. I am praying that You comfort him and heal him if it is Your will. Please be merciful to Scott. AMEN
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Peace and prayers for you and family. Stroke typically prevents swallowing but meds can be given other ways. When dad was in his last hours I found gentle temple massage would calm him enough to stop the monitor from going off.
    Whatever!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I am praying for Scott , you and your family . Thank you for posting his condition and needs .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Still praying. My heart hurts for you and your family.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I am praying for you all is this time.

My stepfather was in a nursing home in TX following a stroke. The doctor convinced my mother that he needed a feeding tube, which sustained his life for three years, but he had no quality of life. I believe you have done the right thing. Facing the loss of a loved one is about the hardest thing there is. Jesus is with Scott, whether or not you know it. Peace of Christ be with you all.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

my Father had a massive stroke aged 78 in Oklahoma and fell in the river and an old friend pulled him out. I was back with him from NMex. it was the fifth month. He had a feeding tube then it couldn't be installed anymore. I was in deep anguish, needing to get back to work or stay with my Father. I was praying fervently when I got the small still voice saying to not worry he is already mine...My cousin was his nurse. He died a few days later..

Banned

Praying for all concerned

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast