Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's that time of year; mowing war.

Boolit Master

It's that time of year; mowing war.

Around here this time of year, the rain always seems to come on my days off so I can't mow. And the grass is growing so fast that it needs mowed every 4-5 days.

I have a double-lot in town and a push mower and work 12hr shifts, so mowing and trimming my yard is a 3-4 hour task that can only be done on my days off. Today was one of those days and thunderstorms were around all day. So I stayed inside and reloaded.

Funny how in another month, the rain stops and then you have to start watering to keep the grass from dying.

I miss my Arizona house and it's rock lawn; so easy!
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Our neighbors & I have the mowing wars here as well. I usually end up with the longest grass because I won't mow when the grass is damp/wet..
    But even when I do get around to mowing, it is almost the next day that one of them mow again, even if they were the last one to mow.

It is ridiculous...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    In it deep here in Virginia.. Couple of days of mild weather to stir up the tree pollen now a weeks worth if rain. I can almost hear the grass growing.

Boolit Master

Ground bees, mole hills, dog toys, baling twine , rocks that grow well here I just hate mowing; absolutely hate it!

Boolit Master

with out a lot of expense and upkeep the only thing that grows around here is cockalbures and goat heads, neither is fun to step on.

Boolit Master
    liberal applications of round up or any type glyphospate work wonders on the lawn to curtail mowing, heck Ive even been known to " accidentaly" over fertilize with urea on a hot arid day man that really increases leisure time .

AstroTurf anyone ??? Wish I had the coin to do my whole yard in it ! I'd rather shovel snow than mow grass. In the last few years I've delevolped allergies so now it's even more a hated chore .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Maybe I am nuts but I don't mind mowing. I mulch into a bag and put the leaf/yard/flower bed waste into the compost. That compost goes back into the garden every spring.
    There is nothing like a freshly mowed yard that looks nice. Especially when there are no grass clippings anywhere.
    Casting and reloading is a winter sport here in New Hampshire. Winters are long and hard and cold. Summers are for yard and garden work and burning up all that ammo.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

There were a couple years when things on the farm kept me very busy and the lawn got way out of control. My solution was to put up some electric netting type sheep fence, block off the porches and put in 40-50 sheep. In about 2-3 days the lawn would be down to about 1 1/2 inches.

The down side was that you didn't want to walk in the lawn for a week or 2 without your boots on.
    Chuck

Boolit Master

I don't mind it. I put my earbuds in stream music from my phone, get on the zero turn and go. I mow 2 acres in about two hours with no weed eating. In SW Florida it's a rear round deal, it just slows down in the winter.

Banned
    I like mowing in the spring and early summer but the novelty wears off in late summer. Some years with lots of rain and sun, it wears off much sooner

Idaho45guy, I know your situation. Been there, done that. Seems like the rain only comes on your days off and the grass grows like mad when you don't have the time to cut it. Just a suggestion, you can trim wet grass with a weed eater. It's messy but if you get the edges, trees, corners, etc. cut with a weed eater when it's wet you can mow the remainder much faster when you do get a sunny day of opportunity. Be ready to roll when the time comes. Plenty of fuel on hand, sharp blade, everything out of the yard.

Boolit Master
    You could move to my neighborhood. We haven't had any real rain since last summer. Normal spring rains have been nonexistent this year. My yard is dead brown but I haven't had to start my mower yet this year.. Midland, Texas.

Moderator Emeritus

No neighbors within at least a quarter of a mile. They can't see my yard �� Just bought a Cub Cadet 42" works great for my hilly yard except where my son's and my dog dug up moon sized craters. Not fun but will fix yard when I get a loader - someday.

Boolit Master

I have moved on to "Low Stress" yard maintenance. Spent a couple of years putting up fencing with Drive way gates at both places. I now am able to:

(1) Do Yard Pasture Maintenance by letting the horses (and when the freezer is low - calves) munch away keeping the grass low.

(2) started using a Zero Turn Lawn Mower - those are much more fun to operate than push or older lawn tractors. This allows keeping the grass somewhat uniform in height, with no super high areas.

(3) Draw back to livestock grazing the yards (Actually slightly manicured pastures) is have to have the wife drive the tractor around while I scoop Horse Poop into the bucket every week or so. Upside of this activity is it goes into a compost pile and I always have fishing worms and compost/fertilizer for the Garden beds.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Around here this time of year, the rain always seems to come on my days off so I can't mow. And the grass is growing so fast that it needs mowed every 4-5 days.

I have a double-lot in town and a push mower and work 12hr shifts, so mowing and trimming my yard is a 3-4 hour task that can only be done on my days off. Today was one of those days and thunderstorms were around all day. So I stayed inside and reloaded.

Funny how in another month, the rain stops and then you have to start watering to keep the grass from dying.

I miss my Arizona house and it's rock lawn; so easy!
    Nothing is growing in your old Arizona neighborhood. There has been no rain, and a dry Winter. Stage 2 fire restrictions are in effect. No outdoor burning, includes campfires. Also No Outdoor Shooting. There was a wildfire that started in PV last Friday. Went North of 89A and into Viewpoint and north. Driven by high winds, it took 2 homes. Things are scary, it's so dry. They are considering closing the Prescott National Forest. Monsoon season is still 6-8 weeks away. Now that I am retired, I can't enjoy shooting until we get significant rain. My favorite pass time is to haul my camper out to the forest on 89, grill a steak, and shoot. I'm casting, and reloading. Ive got 3 acres here that I'm usually cutting the start of April. Like I said, nothing is growing. I wish you could send that rain back here.

Boolit Master
    My buddy mows lawns, im almost inclined to have him add my yard to his route. I hate doing it and im busy most of the time. I hate using the precious free time I have to mow.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Moderator Emeritus

In Glencoe...a running gas engine and wurr of the blades of a lawn mower is like a siren's song
    it seems once someone starts mowing, the whole neighborhood gets out there and mows.

I don't have much lawn, most of my yard is garden. I don't really take care of my lawn, lots of weeds. Also when I mow, I am really just harvesting mulch for the garden. I rarely mow all the grass. I mow until I have enough mulch for my vegetable plants. Also, that leaves some of the flowering weeds in my lawn for the honey bees and bumblebees.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

It's annoying that my neighbors across the street are a retired liberal couple that have an immaculate lawn. They've made snooty comments in passing about the sad state of my yard. They have a local landscaper come to their house once a week to mow and work on their lawn. Every day they are outside making little adjustments or adding some new flowers. And they have a third of the area I do. I hate them. LOL.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Nothing is growing in your old Arizona neighborhood. There has been no rain, and a dry Winter. Stage 2 fire restrictions are in effect. No outdoor burning, includes campfires. Also No Outdoor Shooting. There was a wildfire that started in PV last Friday. Went North of 89A and into Viewpoint and north. Driven by high winds, it took 2 homes. Things are scary, it's so dry. They are considering closing the Prescott National Forest. Monsoon season is still 6-8 weeks away. Now that I am retired, I can't enjoy shooting until we get significant rain. My favorite pass time is to haul my camper out to the forest on 89, grill a steak, and shoot. I'm casting, and reloading. Ive got 3 acres here that I'm usually cutting the start of April. Like I said, nothing is growing. I wish you could send that rain back here.
    That's too bad to hear. I was there when those firefighters lost their lives. Just awful. When I was a federal park ranger, part of my duties was firefighting and the area I patrolled was similar to the area around Paulden; rolling hills and valleys with lots of sagebrush and scrub oak.

Worst part of trying to dig a firebreak there was the thousands of angry and scared rattlesnakes moving ahead of the fire. Not fun.

But I do miss my PV house...

Attachment 220641

It's a little to damp for you to do any mowing today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast