Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's that time of year; mowing war.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    It's a little to damp for you to do any mowing today.
    Yes it is! Too wet to do anything today outside. Was thinking about driving down to the family cabin at Dworshak and just hang out and watch movies with my parents, but they came back to Moscow this morning. They just bought another horse from a family in Colfax since we found out their mule was going blind. Mom insisted on having a trail capable horse despite the fact she is too frail to ride more than a few minutes in the pasture now.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd2 View Post
    There were a couple years when things on the farm kept me very busy and the lawn got way out of control. My solution was to put up some electric netting type sheep fence, block off the porches and put in 40-50 sheep. In about 2-3 days the lawn would be down to about 1 1/2 inches.

The down side was that you didn't want to walk in the lawn for a week or 2 without your boots on.

cause that lawn would be covered in "smart pills"

handed one to a gullible friend once.
    He said whats this.
    I said a smart pill.
    He took it quickly spit it out and said its tastes like " "
    I said see your getting smarter already
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

As I listen to the latest thunder shower (downpour) I'm wondering the same thing. Was able to run home last Thurs and mow (week ago) but had rain from Sun AM until then. Now raining and showers predicted through this weekend.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I love to mow but, I hate to use poor equipment! I mow 5 acres with a large zero turn and enjoy my time out side. My wife grips that if I'd spend half the time on the inside I do on the yard and on the outside she could sleep all the time! I keep mine mowed well!

Boolit Master
    We lived on an Army installation in Arizona (Yuma Proving Ground) for a little over 4 years. Our first set of quarters had a gravel front yard and a very small plot of grass in the back, so not a big deal. We had to move out of those quarters after 10 months so a soldier could move in, and we moved into 'the ghetto,' 60 year-old 'surplus' quarters. Bigger lots, with grass all around. I was out cutting the grass one morning when it was relatively mild - only about 90 degrees, but the humidity was up there. I started feeling woozy, and ended up spending the weekend in the Cardiac Care Unit in the local hospital. Turns out that I was badly dehydrated and became a heat casualty - and I thought that I was keeping pretty well hydrated! No more grass cutting for me, per (two) doctor's orders!

Only the military and golf courses try to grow grass in the desert.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

In Maine....we have to wait until the snow melts before we have to mow....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Springtime in Maine.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	220667

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hwilliam01 View Post
    In Maine....we have to wait until the snow melts before we have to mow....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Springtime in Maine.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	220667
    Now That's funny !

Boolit Master

When I lived in Iowa, I was working at the Maytag plant in Newton and my wife and I and our two small kids rented a nice old farmhouse between Newton and Grinnell.

It sat on 35 acres and had a giant park-like lawn of about an acre and a half.

The landlords were an elderly couple that cherished the landscaping and lost their minds if the lawn wasn't mowed.

The thing was, I worked ten hour days 6 days a week at the plant and only had a push mower. The couple had a really nice John Deer riding mower they kept locked in a shed on the property and refused to rent it to me or let me use it.

I was a young father of two small children and I would mow for an hour or so after work until it got dark, then do it again the next night. By the time I got it all mowed, the first section I had done needed mowing again. It was insane!

When I got behind once after taking a weekend off for a vacation after months of fighting nature, they got angry and came out and mowed the entire lawn one Saturday and then left a bill for $20 on the door.

Ding ding! Heck, I just let them mow every week and paid them an extra $80 a month in rent.

I was only paying $350 a month in rent for that place. That was the great thing about Iowa; super cheap rent and housing. They sold it a year later after getting some actual bad tenants (they thought we were bad) for $70k.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    my neighbor cuts his at night or in the rain. its the strangest thing i have ever seen .ok at night maybe its cooler but in the rain and i do mean in the rain our yards can flood a little his more than mine and i have seen water coming out the side of his mower like a fire hose. well i guess different strokes for different folks.

Boolit Buddy

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    I'm in South East Fla and this week has been monsoon time. Or so it seems. I've been on my annual tour at Homestead AFB as well, so that has killed both weekends and evenings to even try to mow the little bit of yard I have. We're in a townhouse with about 600 sq ft of grass in the back yard. The front is taken care of by the association. So, the yard is overgrown and unless the rain lets up tomorrow, it'll be another week before I can get to it.
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

Boolit Master
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah.Lawn care.Grew up in Vero Beach.Fl.Used to have to help Dad with the yard care at their house growing up and then at the house we owned after I got married.Most of the summer was twice a week at both places,not to mention at the rental apts that Dad owned.The lot their house was on was 275 ft front by the same deep.The apts lot was about 150 across the front by one block deep,and 300 feet wide across the back.NO riders just push mowers back then.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    The yard where I grew up was 3 acres. My two brothers and I would cut that with an 18" push mower. After a time, dad must have started feeling sorry for us and bought an additional mower with a 22" cut. We would actually run pushing those mowers so we could finish sooner. Stupid, I know now, from a safety standpoint. I'm glad to have survived my youth. I strictly ride to cut grass now................sometimes twice a week here in Louisiana during the peak season.

Boolit Master

I had a crazy neighbor at my last house in town he would mow within minutes of my finishing my lawn even if he mowed two days before! I would let mine go as long as i could it was a small area many weeds in it that grew the fastest.
    Here if i do the trails i have near 5 acres to mow i got a 42" cut Crapsman lawn tractor 14 years ago and the transmission was getting weaker ans weaker so i got a 54" John Deere last year not only does it cut a wider area but it goes faster as well cuts my time nearly in half!
    I think i upset the salesman when we were doing the purchase when i mentioned i rarely pick up sticks at all just run them over and chop them up! I also have rocks work up each winter that are heck on blades i have only seen a couple mole hills in the years here my other yard was full of them.
    On the old crapsman (Huskvarna ) transmission i tore it down no wear it seems it was a small amount of water in oil that caused the trouble when it got hot i would lose torque and if hot enough reverse would fail completely until it cooled. My son got a scrapped tractor with a manual transmission i swapped it in and will tell you it is a hazard compared to a hydraulic transmission! It does not stall it will dig holes in the ground first were the Hydraulic trans had much less torque to the wheels . The reason i bothered was i still use it to throw snow and use it at my fathers cabin near by to mow not only lawn but in the woods as well .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy

I moved from my last home with Grass in June of 97' ...... Life is good in the Forest
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master

Finally had a nice day and managed to mow the whole property and wash and wax the Jeep...

Attachment 220734

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MOO.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	220738

Boolit Master

Took me 20 years to train my neighbors to mow on Thursday. Then they died, and I have to start all over. Only have one now that really cares what his place looks like. The rest are down right lazy.

The wife mentioned that the grass needs mowing, of course it does, it's it up to the hubcaps. But it has been raining, I'm letting it go to seed, I have grass seed out and I have already mowed this month.

I have a 1984 5216 Simplicity that is getting tired. The wife talked me into getting a new mower. She said I should get a zero turn. So I did, so far I have ran into or over everything. Maybe it will make it thru the summer.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master

Where did this sea of clover come from? My lawn was manicured Friday and again this morning it looks like it snowed. Are aliens sewing it at night?
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    The only darn use for children.

Boolit Buddy
    still in a sling from rotator cuff surgery. can't push mower, can't pull starter rope, don't care if neighbor mows or not, I ain't doing nothing.
    Did have someone from Church come by and mow last week while I was out.
    Really appreciate that.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast