RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Henry .45-70 lever question(s)

Boolit Grand Master

Henry .45-70 lever question(s)

A friend just got a Henry .45-70 lever action and I'm sure he will be asking me questions. I reviewed the archive for info on this beauty, but found none in particular. Here's my questions:
    In the spectrum of things, where does this model fall? Trap door capable, mid-level, or top end / Ruger ?
    Any elk / bison loads you guys have been successful with? I think both are on his bucket list.
    I shoot an H&R, so my experiences have been in the mild world realm with this cartridge.
    Thanks for any thoughts,

Boolit Master
    Higher end mid level. It can kill at both ends I have been told. I have not loaded hot for this round as I did not feel I needed to. I do not own a Henry. The heavier the bullet the harder the kick.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy

I have the color case hardened model and Henry stated that Marlin loads will be fine.
    Ore'mus
    Flintlocks Rock!

Vendor Sponsor

Marlin loads if " you" can handle them
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, Smoke4320.

I have one. Any Trapdoor and Lever Action listed pressures will be fine. I keep my loads just between the two listings actually. I don't need 2000fps (Lever action velocities) to kill whitetails. Also keep in mind that all the load data was produced in a 24" barrel. This rifle has an 18" (and some change)...so you will loose ~25fps per inch shorter than the 24" test barrel...so...you'll be about ~150fps slower than listed data.

I load for data in the 1400-1500fps range so my actual velocities are in the 1250-1350 range. This is more than enough for white tails out to about 150 yards....if you're going for Elk/Bison I'd take it up another notch to 1600-1800fps of listed data.

Any specific questions...just ask. I'll try to help. I love my Henry...its become one of my favorite rifles.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    redhawk0 -- Thanks for the info. I've always admired them. I got the kids a Henry .22 and it has been flawless. Most accurate .22 I've ever shot. Wouldn't mind selling off part of the stable to get one in .45-70.

I do not have the Henry, I have the Marlin 1895. What I have found that if you want a load that will take anything in the American continent, use a 350 gr. cast and shoot for 1800-1900 fps. My load is a Ranch dog 350 gr. gas check boolit with 43 gr. of IMR-4198 powder. It will print 1-1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. I size the boolit to .460 and have taken 4 buffalo, bison, with that load and all 4 were one shot kills. That load is just under 29,000 PSI and I use it also in my Pedersoli 1874 sharps single shot. Going up to a 405 gr. boolit increases the recoil by a good margin over the 350 gr. cast boolit.
    If he is going to use it on deer size animals, I would even drop down to a 300 gr. bullet and keep the velocity in the 1800-1900 fps for longer shots out to 150-200 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    I do not have the Henry, I have the Marlin 1895. What I have found that if you want a load that will take anything in the American continent, use a 350 gr. cast and shoot for 1800-1900 fps. My load is a Ranch dog 350 gr. gas check boolit with 43 gr. of IMR-4198 powder. It will print 1-1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. I size the boolit to .460 and have taken 4 buffalo, bison, with that load and all 4 were one shot kills. That load is just under 29,000 PSI and I use it also in my Pedersoli 1874 sharps single shot. Going up to a 405 gr. boolit increases the recoil by a good margin over the 350 gr. cast boolit.
    If he is going to use it on deer size animals, I would even drop down to a 300 gr. bullet and keep the velocity in the 1800-1900 fps for longer shots out to 150-200 yards.
    I've got that mold and I like the cup point. I load them with 56 grain of Varget and it is a big push, but not painful. I have had some painful loads - closer to 60 grain with the 350s will make your fillings rattle out.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    redhawk0 -- Thanks for the info. I've always admired them. I got the kids a Henry .22 and it has been flawless. Most accurate .22 I've ever shot. Wouldn't mind selling off part of the stable to get one in .45-70.
    I just purchased a Henry 22lr this year as well. And you're correct...its a very solid rifle. I love the way it locks up when you close the lever.

I guess I should have specified my bullet choices. For deer I shoot 340gr Lee FN....but I did just purchase a Lyman 330gr HP mold from the S&S forum...I'm working on loads with it now for deer in the fall. I gravitate to the IMR-3031 powder and have had good consistency with shot placement with the 340gr. I also have the Lee 405gr FN but haven't developed any loads yet.

I left my Henry open-sights (although I changed out to Hi-Viz from the factory sights) because this is my walking/scouting gun. I have a Ruger M77-MKII in 30-06 as my regular deer gun when I am in a stand but when walking the woods of NH I decided to go with the Henry 45-70 because it's light and very quick to acquire target with open sights. I took a 168lb 8point last fall with it at 100 yards. From the time I saw the deer to the time it was dead was about 5 seconds. It doesn't get much quicker than that.

I hope your friend has as good of luck with is Henry as I have. I know shooting it can be a lot of fun. Even if it does "kill on both ends". There is just something satisfying about mastering heavy recoil. (which I'm still working on)

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, all. Love hearing about your load data and successful hunts. Just what I was looking for. Now I REALLY have a hankering for a Henry, too.

Boolit Master

I'd love to see a henry 45-70. I have a marlin 45-70 and a henry 44 mag. I love both guns.

I have the case hardened, octagon barreled Henry in 45-70. Love it. It will handle any load that I feel inclined to shoot. (Upper end Marlin loads) I keep my rounds to around 28,000 or under but some of the custom ammo commercial loaders recommend magnum loads to 32,000psi for the Henry.