RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: 1st try at PC outside

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

1st try at PC outside

I have always done the shake and bake method in my house so I could control the humidity. I tried this morning outside with 53 percent humidity this morning. The powder wasn't covering completely but after I baked them it seemed to flow and cover evenly. I can tell the coating was not as thick as it is when I do it inside. I also bounced off the excess and didn't clean out the powder between colors so a lot of the dark spots are the mixing of different colors(blue on the green and red, purple on yellow and orange, and a little purple on the clear)...

I didn't even weigh them this time and color coat them within a grain of each other this time. I made a 50/50 batch of 4bn and 14 Bh with 2 percent pewter and going to run them full throttle through my 77/44 with a GC and see how many milk jugs full of water it will take to stop them and see how much weight retention I'll have compared to the 6 Bh that that looked like a smashed dime and made it through three water jugs at 1650fps.

http://imgur.com/a/94M7R6M
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-17-2018 at 06:16 PM.

I am in Florida, we average 90 % humidity. If the powder is good, it sticks. You mention tapping off the excess, you can still be getting complete coverage. Your pictures don't look bad, I have had some that looked worse..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pc.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	220603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speckled.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	220602

I always complain about living in CA, but one positive is the lack of humidity. Makes for nice "shake n bake" PC.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    When I make them in the house they look perfect. Just didn't want to haul all my stuff in and clean up the mess afterwards. I'm Going to glue a few air soft BB's in some of the HP cavities of this batch to see if it aides in expansion and or accuracy. The bullets covered better than the pic shows. The dark spots are other colored paint I bounced and rolled them in.