WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd range pickup

Odd range pickup

Picked up a bunch of 9mm cases...they are ridged on the INSIDE of the case- the step is solid all the way to the bottom of the case... 1- greatly reducing case capacity, higher pressure less powder???? 2- No way to seat the bullet too far in the case, nor will it "walk back" due to recoil... still a bit odd... sorry for the bad photo, will try again with another camera if there is interest... thought it might be interesting....

Attachment 220592
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master
    Probably from a paint marking training round for LEO training, live fire exercises.

Boolit Buddy
    I think that is a simunition round. the rim may telescope out from the case body if you twist and pull on it. I found some of the same cases in a bucket of brass from my local sheriffs dept range recently.

FN head stamp? I find quite a few of these in our indoor pistol range. They end up in the scrap bucket. These have been discussed on here before and some say they reload them. the shelf so the theory goes prevents bullet set back.

Boolit Master
    I thought Magtech made some 9mm that were like this as well.
    Headstamp?
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I come across them from time to time and when I do, I crush em and toss em

MAXXTech headstamp.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master
    Yes, that is maxxtech, it is not simunition or anything else interesting. I scrap it all, as do most.

There are a few other headstamps that have similar construction, but none I’ve seen are as pronounced as maxxtech.

Boolit Master
    Well, I was close... LOL Magtech... Maxxtech
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Actually it is non-tapered-wall brass. Works fine if you just seat to the ridge. At least it's not the Alum. junk stuff.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    The step is to prevent set back,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I would have to take into account the reduced case capacity if I were to reload these. For as readily available 9mm brass is, I would toss it into the recycle bucket.

Very interesting. I would think that these would be fairly expensive, since they involve much more brass than a regular cartridge and must cost more to make.

Boolit Master

I've found several of these. Some casings are now made of stainless steel. Some are two-part. That inner piece sure keeps a bullet from being pushed deeper into the case. I think we will see more changes to cartridge casings. I do not reload these as the volume is WAY reduced. And, no data is available. I treat them same as steel and aluminum cases. Road gravel.

Boolit Master

I have to wonder about the "WHY" of that. Sure, you have an economy of powder in that you can use less to get the same chamber pressure, but you get that economy by using more brass, which I'm pretty sure is going to cost more than a grain or two of nitrocellulose.

I also have to wonder about a load workup for that. Sure, there's a smaller chamber, which would give higher initial pressures for a given charge, but then that gas starts expanding into the same old bore, and that chamber becomes a constantly shrinking percentage of the total volume. Hrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . .

Irritating in the same way that small-primer .45 brass is irritating - non-standard garbage getting mixed into a century-old supply stream.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I assume that the case is cheaper to produce. Maybe more brass, but less machining? Intend to cut one apart to see exactly how it is assembled.

Boolit Master
    Here is a link to another forum that shows a photo of a sectioned case.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/re...ech-brass.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    Here is a link to another forum that shows a photo of a sectioned case.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/re...ech-brass.html
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    From the draft used on the tooling I would guess those cases formed by impact extrusion.
    The case blank is warmed and smashed by the tool. The metal flows upward to form the case wall.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

With the proper precautions those cases should reload and shoot ok. But as plentiful as 9mm brass is I would probably scrap them. You can find some interesting stuff mixed up in range brass!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast