Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need Help with a Post Office Money Order

Boolit Master

Need Help with a Post Office Money Order

Short story: Purchased M.O. 5.4.18 - It's never been received (sent first class to a person 300 miles from my residence); USPS not very helpful but they did charge me $6 to place a trace on it. What's the prognosis?

Boolit Master
    I have no first hand experience, but understand that if you have the receipt and if it hasn’t been presented within some period you can obtain a refund. No idea what a “trace” of a money order is.

For your $6, they will check to see if it has been cashed. If it has, you will receive a copy of it. If it hasn't been cashed they will issue a new money order.

Boolit Master
    After a significant waiting period; ninety days sticks in my mind, although that may be inaccurate.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I just can't bring myself to trust the USPS after how it has gone down...Have passed on many a deal because the requirement of a USPS MO...Just my honest opinion.

Boolit Bub
    I once sent a package 200 miles by USPO and it took 30 days to arrive- the buyer was PO as I would be and their tracking onlly showed it was received at the sending PO. That was in 2001. That said, I only accept USPO money orders or cash due to all the other scams out there.

Banned
    You have two different things that might be going on there:
    1. The money order just flat didn't get where it was going.
    2. It got there and the person didn't cash it yet.

If you do not have a means to verify if it arrived, your only good option is to cancel it and wait until you know it's been canceled before you proceed. Unless you trust the person on the other end, Do Not send a second money order until you have received a refund on the first one.

I'll risk a small money order in a first class envelope without tracking but for larger sums, the money order goes in an overnight package with tracking and a signature on the other end. I'm not going to pay you twice. One of the oldest scams out there is to falsely claim you never received the first money order and ask for a second one. When the second one arrives, you cash both and claim someone must have stolen and cashed the first one.

Boolit Buddy
    I learned a long time ago to ditch USPS money orders. Personal checks work much better and are free. Plus if they are lost you can go online at most banks and put a stop payment order in effect. If someone insists I pay by USPS MO I move on to a different seller.

Boolit Grand Master

Every problem I've ever had with a money transfer involved a USPS MO. I've got to want something really bad and the seller only accepting a MO to use it again. I too have passed on many purchases because the seller demanded them.
    Those who refuse PayPal are cutting off their nose to spite their face.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

If I remember correctly, applied for refund after 60 days, took another couple weeks to get it. i was lucky I kept my part of the thing !

Quote Originally Posted by AK Caster View Post
    I learned a long time ago to ditch USPS money orders. Personal checks work much better and are free. Plus if they are lost you can go online at most banks and put a stop payment order in effect. If someone insists I pay by USPS MO I move on to a different seller.
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Every problem I've ever had with a money transfer involved a USPS MO. I've got to want something really bad and the seller only accepting a MO to use it again. I too have passed on many purchases because the seller demanded them.
    Those who refuse PayPal are cutting off their nose to spite their face.
    My point exactly. People hate PP but I like use free services, costs them, not me..