Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Fryxell alloy for most boolits

Boolit Buddy

Fryxell alloy for most boolits

From the book, it seems like COWW + 2% tin is kind of all-purpose alloy. Would this also be a reasonable formula for .30 caliber GC boolits up to, say 2500 fps? With adequate lube, of course.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Steven66 View Post
    From the book, it seems like COWW + 2% tin is kind of all-purpose alloy. Would this also be a reasonable formula for .30 caliber GC boolits up to, say 2500 fps? With adequate lube, of course.
    In most circumstance with commercial 30 caliber rifles.....no.

In 14" twist barrels reasonable accuracy can be had at 2500 fps that alloy if cast and loaded correctly.

Otherwise a harder alloy is needed for best accuracy. With a lead/antimony/tin ternary alloy reasonably consistent accuracy, especially past 50 & 100 yards can be obtained at upwards of 2200 - 2300 fps. However, most find best accuracy in the 1700 - 1950 fps range with most 10" twist 30 caliber rifles.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

COWW+ 2% tin is a tertiary alloy. Possibly quardinary alloy if the WW have arsnic. Water drop those and they are good for 2300fps, at least in greater than .30 caliber (8mm Steyr, 9.3x57).
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I'm running lyman #2 and gc for 30/35 caliber

Boolit Master

The commonly found 10" rate of twist in .30 caliber guns is generally the limiting factor. WDWW, Lyman #2 and linotype can push the velocity limit upward, assuming proper boolit, lube, loading procedure, etc. You should read this thread, if you haven't done so yet:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-rifle-boolits

Also, Larry Gibson has many posts that will be of value to you, use the forum's search function to locate them.

For my purposes I use an alloy of 94-3-3 which I mix myself from lino, pure lead and 50-50 solder. In essence, it is WW alloy with 2% tin added, about 12 BHN. It works well for pistol and rifle boolits, tho' I don't push my rifle loads much past 1900 due to the 10" twist.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown