Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you cook bacon?

Boolit Master

I say " Wife, cook me up a mess o' bacon ! "

I have no idea how she does it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
    In a cast iron skillet, in the oven @ 400°F for 17-20 minutes. No flipping, no muss, no fuss, comes out great every time. At around 15 minutes or so, I might drain off some of the bacon fat/grease & use that to cook the hen apples.
    What Kickstand said +++. Welcome to the forum

I cook mine on the stove top in a cast iron frying pan with a bacon press, but I know that it is common practice if you are making large quantities for a big crowd to do it in the oven on a baking sheet. I've never tried it, but I've been told that either way you can add some water to the pan / baking sheet and then cook until the water evaporates. Supposed to give great results, but again I've never tried that method ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Skillet on stove top here cooked til crisp but not burned.

Moderator Emeritus

Skillet, flipping frequently until the fat part just starts to turn golden. It will be crisp but not shatter all over when you bite it crisp. The fat part will melt in your mouth tender, meaty part will still have some chew!

Boolit Bub
    By the pound or by the skillet-full! In the pan on the stove. Have had via oven method, but that seems unnatural.

Glad to see that the oven method is not unheard of. I stopped and visited some older friends of mine today, country folks, they never heard of it either.

I do enjoy my sweat tea, both iced and hot. For hot tea, I like english black tea, but a regular ole teabag will suffice.

A cup of hot tea in the winter is wonderful esp. if you have a tbl. spoon of Jamaican rum to go in it, wooo hooo, Wray & Nephew guaranteed over proof is fantastic, Fivefang,

Bookworm I cook Bacon in "Slab" form with Lentils, a potato & onion which I brown, when almost done a few tbl. spns. of apple cider vinegar, tastes great , but not Kosher, but we all do transgress somewhere along the line, Fivefang

Boolit Grand Master

Ever since basic training and clipper duty I can't stand the smell of oven cooked bacon. I love the smell of skillet bacon so cast iron skillet for me.

Boolit Master

I made vegetable soup last night with cornbread.
    There was 5 slices of cooked bacon left over from Saturday breakfast and I crumbled it up and put in the cornbread batter before putting it in the oven. Good eating.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    We very rarely eat bacon anymore - the cardiologist doesn' like it. When we did, we avoided all the hoopla of getting th ee skillet out and instead, put it between layers of paper towel and did it in the microwave. My mother always used a skillet though.

Boolit Master
    Wife uses the microwave and paper towel method. Somehow that just seems ...wrong.. cant explain , it just seems unnatural. I use cast iron on the stove top/ fire and then throw the eggs in the bacon "juices"/ doctors dont know whats good !
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

This morning it was in the big CI skillet alongside the hen fruit with toast and jam. I was in a hurry because I overslept, so everything at one time.
    I've tried it in the nuker and the oven, but prefer it slow cooked in CI.
    It's getting harder to find good bacon at a price I can afford. Most is tasteless and overly fat even though the price doesn't reflect it.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Learned in commercial kitchens, always bake my bacon. Much less splatter and more evenly cooked, grease is easy to drain off for re-use as well.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Fat back in the oven????? Never heard of that, always in cast iron skillet on top of stove

Boolit Master

Fat back got to be cooked in skillet so's ya can make the gravy for the biscuits that are in the oven !

i wrap my bacon into couple square of paper towel then it goes in the microwave for about 7 minutes ....no greasy mess .i like my bacon done,but not crispy ; chewy but done. the microwave keeps the cooking process accurate and repeatable so my bacon is always exactly as i like it.

however, there's a little deli store in the city where i can get home made maple smoked bacon . i'm always asking for their thick cut bacon ; it is so good that i must restrict myself to 6 strips with my eggs . going through a whole pound is so easy lol

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I give it to the wife and say "Cook this bacon". I like it crispy.
    I cook nearly everything else, for every meal, but she does the bacon, and the spaghetti. Those are her two items.
    Nope, I did NOT marry a cook.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

Even though I'm eating bacon as I type this, you guys are making me hungry! I'm not much of a cook but I married a great one! She uses different methods, depending on the quantity or if She will be making gravy. A cast iron skillet on the stove top, a skillet or bake tray in the oven or the microwave. I really prefer the iron skillet on the stovetop but there is more cleanup required (my job, not being a cook). I'll eat it about anyway but I like it done but not crunchy the best.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast