RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingPBcastco
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you cook bacon?

Boolit Master
    Seems like many have not heard of the bacon in the oven method.The first time that I was exposed to that method I was about 10 or 11 years old at the restaurant that friends of my parents owned.That was how they cooked the bacon for the breakfast buffet that they put out every day.I`m now 71,so that will tell ya how long ago that was.
    I have cooked bacon using cast iron,non stick skillet,microwave and oven style.It`s all good.Oh yeah.There ain`t but one thing better than bacon.MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Got a couple friends that are around 50, country folks, both from here in ky, and neither of them ever heard of it.

I might add, Granny was from Georgia, and the wife from NC.

They never heard of cooking bacon? Are you serious?

Boolit Grand Master

How do you cook bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    Is there bad bacon?
    Yes, there is bad bacon. A lot of the bacon served at hotels in the morning is atrocious. Hampton Inn bacon is at the top of that list. Cut so thin it's translucent and it's just bad. For people that stay in a hotel on occasion they won't notice. Business travelers are different and it's why I consider it bad bacon.

On a skillet is the only way to make it. I like it crunchy. When cooked in the oven it's usually limp and under cooked for my tastes.

In a cast iron skillit with a left-handed bacon press. As a Scout Leader long ago, I witnessed the boys sending a Newbie to the next Scout campsite about 50 yards away to borrow their Left-handed bacon press.

Boolit Master
    I have one of those skillets with the ribs in the bottom to hold the bacon out of the grease. It works stovetop or oven. I too prefer done but a little chewy.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Caster View Post
    They never heard of cooking bacon? Are you serious?
    Im sure some of the folks here in KY have never heard of cooking bacon at all... these, however just aint ever heard of the 'perfect bacon every time' oven method of which im so fond.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    The only "bad" bacon is the bacon you forget to buy at the store.

I like the thick-sliced butcher bacon sold at a local grocery chain (Stater Bros.) that has coarse black pepper sprinkled on it pretty densely. I cover a cookie sheet with tinfoil, and lay the bacon strips flat and put into the oven @ 400* for 15-17 minutes. Like others above, I like my bacon cooked through but not burnt to cinders. I can do the cast iron skillet method as well, but the cookie sheet/foil method makes a lot less mess on a stovetop. Camp cooking means bacon in a cast iron skillet--period--usually on a fire grate.

This is our method as well. Tin foil on cookie sheet cook till crisp, but still tender in places like the meat and some of the fat portions. Makes good bacon that way. On the stove top it makes a huge mess and it seems to always scorch and get burnt to a crisp.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I dont like the fat, just the lean. Mom on the other hand... prefers the fat. So its a good trade for both of us.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    The only "bad" bacon is the bacon you forget to buy at the store.

I like the thick-sliced butcher bacon sold at a local grocery chain (Stater Bros.) that has coarse black pepper sprinkled on it pretty densely.
    We buy our Thick Sliced Course Black Pepper Bacon at Winco, usually buy 5# at a time and SWMBO divides it into 4 weeks packages. She freezes 3 and leaves one in the fridge, use about one a week usually last a month that way. I cook it using a Medium Cast Iron Skillet over Low Heat for about 25-30 minutes, renders the fat well and keeps the Bacon chewy & NOT Crisp. FWIW, we buy about 5# of a Ranch Blend of Bulk Sausage from a local Meat Market & SWMBO does the same 4 package thing, keeps us in Breakfast meat for a Month usually
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Banned
    Bacon! Living proof that at least two major religions are completely wrong! No God worthy of the name would make a world in which bacon can exist and then prohibit people from eating it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Seems like many have not heard of the bacon in the oven method.The first time that I was exposed to that method I was about 10 or 11 years old at the restaurant that friends of my parents owned.That was how they cooked the bacon for the breakfast buffet that they put out every day.I`m now 71,so that will tell ya how long ago that was.
    I have cooked bacon using cast iron,non stick skillet,microwave and oven style.It`s all good.Oh yeah.There ain`t but one thing better than bacon.MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    I'll use a skillet if I'm making gravy, but otherwise it was really easy to do the math in the kitchen:

bake 6 full-size trays of bacon at the same time or stand over a skillet and flip bacon constantly for an hour or 2......
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

BAKED Bacon is ABSOLUTELY the best method of preparing a start to a delicious breakfast, or lunch, or supper, or snack.

Boolit Grand Master

On a stick in front of the fire or in a skillet. Oven bacon don't taste as good.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I was asked a question a year ago, and have researched it ever since. Apparently it doesn't exist, but thought I would ask here.

Has anyone ever heard of "leftover bacon"?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Well I'm a bit different because I don't like the lingering smell after cooking in the house. I cook mine on the side burner of the BBQ grill in a skillet outside
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    Oven or stovetop? Well, in the oven, of course! It is bake-on after all, ain't it? Preferably in a skillet, since it’s the most convenient tool for it in my mind. Actually, I get good results on the stovetop as well, but the oven gives better result, I believe, because the heat surrounds the skillet as opposed to coming only from the bottom, leaving the bacon that blisters up not quite as done as that on the iron. This seems less prevalent in the oven, but my flat griddle is left between the heating element and the skillet to keep the bottom from getting the heat full blast.

When I render bacon drippings for future use, I use a 3lb package of bacon ends, 1lb of Cajun seasoned bacon or Grippo BBQ potato chip seasoning bacon (Maybe throw in a couple Spanish chorizo sausages to boot), 4-8 cloves of crushed garlic and a good splash of hickory smoke in the cast iron chicken fryer with lid. Baked at 375 deg for an hour and backed off to 300 deg until done to tender perfection. I do have to check it periodically for those pieces around the outside of the pile, which get done early. Fine seasoned drippings to inject into venison roasts and fine bacon to snack on from the fridge for the next week or so.

Boolit Master
    Have to fry in a frying pan so you have the fat to fry eggs and fried bread in.

Boolit Mold
    Stove top skillet or on a griddle for me ��nice and crispy..

If you bake bacon in the oven, you can still pour some of the grease off to cook the accouterments. I aint big on eggs, but I biscuits and gravy with sausage in it. My granny used to make biscuits and gravy and bacon and scrambled eggs. It was amazing. My wife dont do too shabby either now, almost rivaling granny.

Boolit Master

My wife and I haven't cooked real bacon for 22+ years. We eat turkey bacon cooked in the oven. This doesn't mean we don't like real bacon though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast