RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Shooting John Ross 5" .500 Magnum today

Boolit Master

Shooting John Ross 5" .500 Magnum today

Went out and did some shooting with the 5" John Ross .500 Mag today with cast bullets from the Mihec "Alley Cleaner". With the pentapoint version mine are coming out at 450 grains. Even though being nearly a wadcutter it shot well and flatter than I expected to around 300 yards at a dirt bank. Velocity was an easy 1000 F.P.S. chronographed. Next will be some BL-C2 pushing up to 1200 F.P.S. I realize this is far below the guns potential but will easily outmatch for now my potential. Anyone else?

Boolit Master

No not yet. Keep us posted. What was your load may I ask?

Boolit Master
    The first was 55 grains of BL-C2 with CCI 250 primer that checked at 1000 F.P.S. The other was just 45 grains of I.M.R. 4895 same primer going average at 940 F.P.S. They were less than what I expected but comfortable to shoot. 57 grains of BL-C2 was tried but didn't have the chronograph today. It will probably top out around 59 grains which will be compressed a little but may be what it needs. Been using John Ross's first loading sheets along with the more recent one's as a guide. For my own uses a 450 grain at 1200 F.P.S. or a 500 grain around 1100 F.PS. would be the bees knees. Even John Linebaugh has told me he can't see much difference past 1200 F.P.S. until you get up to around 1500 F.PS. I have no doubt at this time my fun meter would be pegged before that happened, but I'm a wuss. The Lee 440 grain was also shot at 300 yards with 32.8 grains of I.M.R 4198 and also did very well. The .500 just plain shoots and out of a 5" inch makes a great all round package. Hope this helped a little. All the best, Don.

Boolit Master

Great thanks Don my 500 adventure is just beginning.

Boolit Buddy
    I just got the same mold from MP, I made the large HP and Penta point to start with. Going to load some up this weekend. Just got the GC so I can roll with them.

Boolit Master
    evoevil, I ended up using Gator gas checks as the Hornady checks were too deep and almost did away with the grease groove when seated. The Gators are shallower so if that is what you have you're good to go. I had been side tracked awhile and had not done much work with my .500's but now they are front and center and what a ride! Have a good one. Don.

Boolit Master
    Been enjoying my four inch with a blank muzzle device. 450 Keith at upper elevens. I'm using AL8, 22 grains and aWLR.