RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Loads for original 44 1/2 in 38-55?

Boolit Master

Loads for original 44 1/2 in 38-55?

I've had this 44 1/2 in 38-55 for a while, but I haven't had a chance to do anything with it, but I'm hoping to get the time over the summer. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the rifles and has info on good loads so I've got a place to start.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    I have a 52 in 38-55 (44 action) and shot a lot of commercial cast bullets in it. I don't know the mould number but it was a 242g flat nose intended for lever rifles. I got some really good groups with 19gr of H4198. I chose the 4198 because it had the lowest pressures in the manual I was using. The 44 is weaker than the 44 1/2 so you might be able to step that up a tad. I had started at 16 gr and worked it up until I got decent groups. The 16gr load was way too light and strung vertically 6" and sooted the cases about half way down. The 19gr load only sooted a tiny bit and was getting some 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds off a bench.

Boolit Master
    The 44 1/2 is a very strong action. It was the only one of the single shots that was made for smokeless powder. I like 4759 because it does a better job of filling the older cases. The Hi Wall and the Borchardt are also very strong. The bullet I use for casual shooting is the Lee 250 38-55 bullet. I load 18 grains of 4759 behind it and it shoots very well.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Thanks! I should have mentioned that I intend to shoot smokeless in this gun, at least to start.

I've got some 4759 tucked on the shelf I think. I'll try that out.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master
    You might look in the loading manuals for 4227 loads... they work well in the 44 1/2 action with lead bullets.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I have had excellent results with IMR 4198 that was Ken Waters Pet Loads for weak actions as I shoot a Stevens 44. Very accurate.
    Bob
    Last edited by 50target; 05-26-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Considering how strong a 44 1/2 is any midrange load or even a bit hotter is fine. Cast bullet loads should be no issue for a 44 1/2.