Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor on the way!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1974.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	224007
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    would love to see a picture of your setup
    There you go.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Master

looks nice any issues in loading it at all and thanks for posting
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Thanks, I will remember that tip. On the topic of stocks, I picked up a spare OEM stock and painted it satin granite gray. It looks great, I'll put it on after the paint has hardened. I'm planning to eventually get a Boyd's laminate stock for it.

On the topic of reloading: my plan is to squirt out a 140 grain Speer or Hornady slug at 2400-2500 fps with excellent accuracy. What powder might be ideal? This is a few hundred fps slower than the usual speed for these bullets in the 6.5. I was thinking something like IMR 4064, 4895, or XBR8208 might be good.
    You will do best with some of the medium slow powders, R19, H4350, Hybrid 100V, H414 or so. The failing in the Creedmore is that it is usually loaded to 60,000 to65,000 CUP, and burns barrels out in about 2000 rounds. You do no need that kind of pressure. The old 6.5x55 has been doing an excellent job for the Sweedish for a hundred years with less than 50K CUP. Mostly in the 40,000 cup range.
    We here in the US have bought into the velocity rules BS, and we don't need that much.
    I hope you like your Remington as much as I like my Savage 6.5 Creedmore.

I agree with Old Coot. The flavor of the week is a smaller capacity case loaded to the firewall to get CLOSE to an existing(100 yrs!) cartridge. The AR universe is awash with such. The Creedmore s are exciting but there's nothing new about their performance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

So far my best loads for my Bergara 6.5 CM have been with IMR 4895 and IMR 4350 using the Hornady 140 grain BTHP Match. The 4895 has the edge. I've had groups under .5 moa but in the 2550 fps range. I'd like to get the speed up to 2650 with the same accuracy.

I've been looking for a can of H4350 powder to give it a try. From what I've read it does better than the IMR.

I shot a group with factory ammo last week so see how it stacked up to my handloads. It was Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 140 gr ELD Match. The group measured 1.096 moa. My worst yet.

My rifle is the Bergara B-14 Ridge.
    Chuck

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd2 View Post
    So far my best loads for my Bergara 6.5 CM have been with IMR 4895 and IMR 4350 using the Hornady 140 grain BTHP Match. The 4895 has the edge. I've had groups under .5 moa but in the 2550 fps range. I'd like to get the speed up to 2650 with the same accuracy.

I've been looking for a can of H4350 powder to give it a try. From what I've read it does better than the IMR.

I shot a group with factory ammo last week so see how it stacked up to my handloads. It was Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 140 gr ELD Match. The group measured 1.096 moa. My worst yet.

My rifle is the Bergara B-14 Ridge.

Give RL16 a try if wanting more velocity with some temp stability. The gold standard for the 6.5 CM does seem to be H4350 however. I couldn’t find any a few years ago and gravitated to IMR Enduron powders with similar results.

Boolit Master

Thanks. I'll check out the RL16.
    Chuck

Boolit Master

Found this comment on another site.... he is a 6.5x55 lover like me... thought it was very funny.

posted Jul 26, 10:14 PM
    I have a pin point accurate 6.5x55, I tell anyone that will listen it's a
    6.5 Swedemore

Posted by Snellstrom
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

I like that. I plan to take my 6.5 Creedmoor and my 6.5 Swedemoor to the range tomorrow.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    looks nice any issues in loading it at all and thanks for posting
    I'm just shooting steel, so I single load.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Ordered me a Hornady neck size die for the rifle, interestingly it is listed as working for most of your shorter 6.5 cartridges. Anybody use this die before? All my other neck sizers are RCBS.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    You might want to try IMR-3031 in the cm, it is an excellent powder for .243, .308 and other mid size cartridges, I did serious load development over 2 years and it was the best shooting and top velocity also, with WLR primers, out of 20 different powders tried. I did the load workup, over 26 years ago and when a friend ran it thru kwikload on his s computer, it came up 96% efficient!

Boolit Master

More than a few years ago I bought a BRNO Mauser 98/22 made in '23. It was soaked in cosmoline and a few days in a black plastic bag wrapped in three layers of paper towels removed most of that dreadful stuff. When I finally got it cleaned up and got to examine it the condition of the rifle suprised me. The bore was perfect and the stock was dented and dinged up a mite but overall pretty good. I had to put on a taller front sight as it shot a full 12" high at 50 yds with surplus 7.92x57 ammo. I could wring out 2 moa at 100 if I was lucky. I got talking with a local gunbuilder here in LV by the name of Ray Lynn. Sadly my rifle was the last one he made and he passed away in '08. He took my ugly duckling and installed a Douglas Match 6.5x55 Sweed tube on it. He also installed a Buehler safety, a ball bearing trigger, gave it an excellent rebluing, worked over the action, mounted my cheapo glass on it, sighted it in for 200 yds, bent down the bolt handle and put the whole shebang into a laminated thumbhole stock.

With my handloaded 140 gr j-word Hornady bullets it groups @ <1" at 100 and allows me to reach out to 350 yds and clang the steel every time. It is a joy to shoot and is easy on the eyes if ya can stand bright!

The handsome little guy pictured on his favorite perch is Sgt. Rambo. He is fearless as one day my neighbor's wolf decided to bat him head over teakettle with a paw. He weighed in at 120 lbs and the Sgt. at a mere 12 lbs. Rambo picked himself up and clamped onto the nose of the wolf and tore it up and it required stitch work at a vet to fix. The idiot neighbor of 350 lbs and 6'5" was a witness along with myself and his claims of my dog attacking his fell on deaf ears. Rambo was removed from the scene of the carnage and suitably rewarded with a juicy steak bone with extra meat on it.

He walked a mite taller from then on. However on night recently we, on a walk at 0230 hrs were approached by a trio of coyotes. They were looking at him like he was to be their next snack. On this night Sgt. Rambo let me know that they were there. Where they were and then he hustled his tiny butt behind me to await further developments.

They advanced to about 40' and I decided that their hunger was overcoming their fear of me. Yelling affording no relief I fired off a .44 Special CA revolter into the air and at that point they decided that other opportunities awaiting them in another location. The sound of the 185 gr Hornady critical defense round was pretty loud out of a 2.5" tubed snubnose.

Fearing that nosy neighbor might take umbrage at the sound of a gunshot nearby I dialed the local police on my cellphone. Four units arrived loaded for bear and scoured the area for my ejected empty casing without results. I amused myself watching them founder around with their flashlights and when they ran out of steam I invited them in to my home for a cup of coffee.

While inside I reminded them that I had used a revolter and that the empty case was still in the fired chamber. All having been familiar with semi-auto firearms and so equipped a revolver was an interesting item to them. All went well and they were very interested in my M 1 Garand as well. The Smith Model 57 4" was the star of the evening. They were amazed by the size of the cartridge and the quality of the weapon. None of them had ever felt a trigger as good at the one on my .41 Magnum.

All in all it was a somewhat exciting jaunt for Rambo and myself and the neighbors had something to gossip about for weeks as the sight of 4 Police units and officers hunting around for a non-existing empty cartridge case for 5 mins had whetted their curiosity to a high degree. None of them however summoned the temerity to ask me about the evening activities as they are all lacking sufficient social skills to do so. They would rather speculate and gossip than seek the truth of the matter.

After living out here in NV since '93 I have found it easier to befriend folks from back East of the Mississippi river as they seem to be less self-centered and aloof than the locals or folks who came from points West like Kalifornia. Nobody seems to want to spend the time and effort to build and maintain any friendships with other folks. They live on the silly smart phones, watch TV without stop, drive directly into their garage and go directly inside without ever putting a foot down outside their homes. Even the dog walkers scurry away from the other folks to prevent any human contact. The only time you ever see anyone is during the early morning and late evening hours when the dog walkers prowl the area as daytime temperatures are just about impossible for a dog to walk on the black asphalt streets or concrete sidewalks. There is very little grass out here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0052-1.jpg   IMG_0165.JPG   IMG_0053-1.jpg  
    Last edited by Crash_Corrigan; 08-18-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
    You will do best with some of the medium slow powders, R19, H4350, Hybrid 100V, H414 or so. The failing in the Creedmore is that it is usually loaded to 60,000 to65,000 CUP, and burns barrels out in about 2000 rounds. You do no need that kind of pressure. The old 6.5x55 has been doing an excellent job for the Sweedish for a hundred years with less than 50K CUP. Mostly in the 40,000 cup range.
    We here in the US have bought into the velocity rules BS, and we don't need that much.
    I hope you like your Remington as much as I like my Savage 6.5 Creedmore.
    Don't worry, I never buy into the pressure and velocity hype for any cartridge. All my rifle ammo is loaded decidedly mild and has no trouble making things go dead, even my .223 and .30-30. A 140 grain slug at 2400 fps or so should be just dandy. I'm thinking a faster powder like 4064 or 8208 may be optimal here, since the usual reason for choosing a slow powder is to squeeze every last fps out of it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Ok, I finally have everything I need to make the 6.5 go bang. Money has been pretty tight so I bought dies with one paycheck, brass with the next, and bullets with the most recent one. I am planning to load up a box with IMR 8208 and 140 grain Sierra Game Kings and shoot it this weekend. Since this is a new rifle, I am going to do a proper barrel break in. Any suggestions on the best procedure? I followed the instructions from E.R. Shaw when I did the .257 Roberts. It was something like clean after each shot for the first 20 rounds, clean after every five shots for the next 30 rounds, then it is considered broken in.

Last night I rolled up a box of 30 grains IMR 8208, 140 grain Sierra Gameking, CCI primer at 2.75 OAL. Took the 700 out this evening and put some rounds through it. First five rounds I cleaned after every shot, then I cleaned after every other shot. This wasn't really a formal sighting in, I was just getting on target and and acquiring a feel for the rifle and round. No bench rest, just sitting on the ground with shooting sticks firing at 75 yards. One pair of shots landed 3/8" apart so there is definitely potential here.

The 6.5 is still doing great, I've put around 75 rounds down the pipe so far. I hunted with it during rifle season but never got a chance to pull the trigger. It shoots great with 31.8 grains IMR 8208 under a 140 grain Sierra so I'm just going to stick with that load until the powder is used up. Probably try IMR 4166 next, it looks like a winner for the 6.5 and also .257 Bob and .30 WCF.

I'm a member of the 6.5 Creedmoor FB group, but those guys are practically on another planet compared to me. One dude just casually asks "what is the best scope for 2k?", and everybody else chimes in with recommendations for pricey scopes I've never heard of. I'm thinking like, Leupold VX-3 is what I call a premium scope, and 2k will buy a new-to-me car or truck!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 6.5 Creedmoor in a AR10 configuration
    love that little round
    shot a deer this year with it and used the 143 gr eld-x
    the performance was perfect as advertised
    I forget what powder I use but its easy to get to shoot accurately
    have fun
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine likes Varget with the 100's and 123's. First groups were 1/4" and 5/16th" respectively

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast