Load DataRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor on the way!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor on the way!

Uggh, I knew I shouldn't have done it. I walked into the fun store just intending to shoot the breeze and pick up some primers. I should've stayed at the counter and not wandered over to the rifle rack. Because, they had a new Remington 700 ADL 6.5 Creedmoor for $439.95 and I've been wanting a 6.5 since like the cartridge first came out. That is only a bit more than what my best friend paid for the exact same rifle in .243 in 2002, and I have read that the current 700 action is made on new CNC tooling and is more true to spec than it has ever been.

So, I put the darn thing in layaway jail, due out in 60 days. What have I gotten myself into? Anybody here have experience with the round or the late model 700's in general? I have to admit, the rifle looks really well put together for the price. The plastic stock is alot more stiff than my friend's example and it actually has a nice recoil pad on it. The rifle comes with a no-name scope and mounts which will be put on Fleabay or donated to a needy soul as soon as I bring it home. I already have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 and Leupold mounts for a 700 that need to be put to use. I mean, that's a good enough reason to buy another rifle, right?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of experience with both.

I find the 6.5 CM does best with H4350 and IMR 4451. I have 2 8# jugs that I’m working though with my 6.5 CM.

I’ve also found excellent loads with 130 gr +

My target rifle loves the 130gr TMK and my hunting rifle does well with the 143gr ELDX. I haven’t had a shot on game with it yet to discuss bullet performance.

To start with on your 700, personally, depending on application; would replace the stock and trigger if funds allow. I also like Talley or Warne Rings and bases.

Be sure to spend wisely on your scope.

I have Hornady and Nosler and Starline Brass. I’ve found I like the nosler consistency and find it to be very nice and premier brass. The Starline is my next favorite and Hornady the third out of the brass I’ve used.

If we knew your purpose and budget, more recommendations to follow.

Boolit Master

What are the advantages of the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 260 Remington?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    What are the advantages of the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 260 Remington?
    As far as performance it might depend on use. For me it is the fact that a less expensive was available and that the ammo is less expensive. I bought mine for deer hunting and do not know if I will even reload for it because the ammo is very reasonable.

As to performance for hunting, I feel that is one put the 6.5X55 Swede, the Creedmoor or the 260 in a barrel all in the same rifle, you could grab one blind folded and have pretty much the same rifle for practical purposes. I have seen more than a few deer taken out with the Swede and bought my Creedmoor because I have wanted a Swede in a modern rifle on and off for some time. They kind of overlooked the 260 in available rifles. I can get all kinds of different 6.5 Creedmoors in my LGS but only see one 260. They are all a good choice and fit very well between the 308 and 243. They are an excellent choice for those wanting a lower recoil hunting rifle.

DP

Boolit Buddy
    If you reload you can gain 50-100fps with the 260 over the Creedmore. The 260's problem is the same as the 6mm Remington...they screwed up big time when they came out by putting the wrong twist on the barrels. If you don't plan on reloading much or at all, the Creedmore would be the way to go.
    Domari Nolo

I am honest in admitting I only bought it because I wanted it. My heavy barrel .257 Roberts will do anything the 6.5 will do except heavy bullets and extreme ranges. I think it is a really cool cartridge and I want to try it.

Osteodoc, thanks. I will probably use the rifle for deer hunting out to 300 yards with a Hornady 140 grain Interlock spire point at 2400 fps or so. I would bet that the rifle is more accurate out of the box than my meager skills can take advantage of. As far as scopes go, I already have a nice Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 and steel Leupold bases and rings ready to go. I'm happy with the stock trigger: kind of heavy but no creep or noticeable over travel. I can't shoot a light trigger due to nerve problems anyway.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I'm not trying to squeeze any extra FPS out of the 6.5. It's main attraction to me is how this cartridge performs well beyond what it's modest velocity and case size suggests it can. Charges are similar to .30-30, my favorite cartridge of all time.

The Creedmoor will give a little edge over the 6.5 Swede, although I don't know about in a modern action as the Swedes I have seen used were the sporterized military rifles. I had one years ago in the 18" carbine and it was a good deer rifle. I sold it for a lot of reasons. Back then the 156 grain Norma load was popular. Finn Aagard wrote an article praising the 6.5X55 as a deer rifle. The Creedmoor uses the same bullets at similar velocity so it should perform very well.

For some reason, they came out with the 308 necked to 6.5 instead of 257. When the 260 was introduced they pushed 120 grain bullets in it. As Dryball said also in the wrong twist. One of the differences between the 6.5 and the 257 is its ability to use heavier bullets. The 129 Hornady's are inexpensive and shoot very well out of my Creedmoor. I have killed a lot of deer with the 130 grain 270 and would expect those to also work well. Most deer I have seen shot with the Swede were with 140's.

DEP

Boolit Master

Got a 6.5x55 on commercial FN action and see no need for either the 260 or the Creedmore. The Swede will do anything the other two will do and besides... I like the nostalgia of the Swede, but that’s only my opinion and it satisfies me. That’s it in my avatar.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Nothing at all wrong with liking what you like. I like the 6.5x55 too. Thing is, you can't walk into any gun shop and buy a new 6.5x55 rifle for under $500.00, but there are several options here for the Creedmoor.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I am honest in admitting I only bought it because I wanted it. My heavy barrel .257 Roberts will do anything the 6.5 will do except heavy bullets and extreme ranges. I think it is a really cool cartridge and I want to try it.

Osteodoc, thanks. I will probably use the rifle for deer hunting out to 300 yards with a Hornady 140 grain Interlock spire point at 2400 fps or so. I would bet that the rifle is more accurate out of the box than my meager skills can take advantage of. As far as scopes go, I already have a nice Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 and steel Leupold bases and rings ready to go. I'm happy with the stock trigger: kind of heavy but no creep or noticeable over travel. I can't shoot a light trigger due to nerve problems anyway.

Sounds like your pretty much set. I think you could get velocity a bit higher if you wanted but don’t know your goal fps. For 300 yards Id just suggest load development and practice practice practice.

300 yards is wishful thinking, 200 is the realistic maximum for the places I hunt and my abilities. I'm going to keep it at 2400-2500 fps as I really can't handle much in the way of recoil and muzzle jump. That is the main reason I got a heavy barrel on the .257, to make it easy to shoot. A light trigger is not helpful to me as I can't tell how hard I am pressing it. I like my triggers to be fairly stiff and with minimal creep or overtravel. Fortunately, this describes most lever actions. My miserable neurological system (which includes a bit of essential tremor) has always been the main impediment to good shooting. Nothing I can think of to address it, other than to choose cartridges and guns that are pleasant to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Uggh, I knew I shouldn't have done it. I walked into the fun store just intending to shoot the breeze and pick up some primers. I should've stayed at the counter and not wandered over to the rifle rack. Because, they had a new Remington 700 ADL 6.5 Creedmoor for $439.95 and I've been wanting a 6.5 since like the cartridge first came out. That is only a bit more than what my best friend paid for the exact same rifle in .243 in 2002, and I have read that the current 700 action is made on new CNC tooling and is more true to spec than it has ever been.

So, I put the darn thing in layaway jail, due out in 60 days. What have I gotten myself into? Anybody here have experience with the round or the late model 700's in general? I have to admit, the rifle looks really well put together for the price. The plastic stock is alot more stiff than my friend's example and it actually has a nice recoil pad on it. The rifle comes with a no-name scope and mounts which will be put on Fleabay or donated to a needy soul as soon as I bring it home. I already have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 and Leupold mounts for a 700 that need to be put to use. I mean, that's a good enough reason to buy another rifle, right?
    If your Remy 700 shoots as well as my T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor, you are going to absolutely love it. I was getting less than 1/2" groups at 75 yards with factory ammo (Hornady Black, 140gr, which is only $20 a box). My 2008 Remy 700 in 30-06 is certainly no slouch either. I think you're going to be very happy with what you get.

Thanks. Seems like this cartridge is accurate in anything that shoots it!

300 yards is wishful thinking, 200 is the realistic maximum for the places I hunt and my abilities. I'm going to keep it at 2400-2500 fps as I really can't handle much in the way of recoil and muzzle jump. That is the main reason I got a heavy barrel on the .257, to make it easy to shoot. A light trigger is not helpful to me as I can't tell how hard I am pressing it. I like my triggers to be fairly stiff and with minimal creep or overtravel. Fortunately, this describes most lever actions. My miserable neurological system (which includes a bit of essential tremor) has always been the main impediment to good shooting. Nothing I can think of to address it, other than to choose cartridges and guns that are pleasant to shoot.
    I kind of like what you like. I bought the 6.5 and a 30-30 this year. The 30-30 was a great deal on a Mossberg 464 and it shoots LE's like a champ. The 6.5 is an inexpensive Savage Axis and it also shoots very well. I don't like to shoot much over 200 yards anymore myself and prefer closer. I have one stand where I feel the 6.5 would give a slight edge over the 30-30, but enjoy the levers as I shoot left handed.

DEP

Boolit Master
    The Special Operations Command (SOCOM) just decided to rebarrel some of their semi-auto sniper rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor. They tested both the Creedmoor and the .260 Remington, and numerous load combos in each cartridge. They found that they can keep the Creedmoor supersonic out to 1300 meters, IIRC, which will help significantly making hits at that distance. We're talking a small number of rifles here, so don't look for huge lots of surplus brass to hit the market any time soon!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

They ought to just go ahead and adopt it as the new service round for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    I kind of like what you like. I bought the 6.5 and a 30-30 this year. The 30-30 was a great deal on a Mossberg 464 and it shoots LE's like a champ. The 6.5 is an inexpensive Savage Axis and it also shoots very well. I don't like to shoot much over 200 yards anymore myself and prefer closer. I have one stand where I feel the 6.5 would give a slight edge over the 30-30, but enjoy the levers as I shoot left handed.

DEP
    Nice choices. I have a 464 and its a great gun. If not for the 700 I probably would have ended up with an Axis with the wood stock.

Boolit Master
    They ought to just go ahead and adopt it as the new service round for everybody.
    Expect the next cartridge adopted by the military to have a polymer case, and be of the case-telescope design, probably in 6.8mm.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Hmm, interesting!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast