Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Material source for making checks?

Boolit Master
    litho sheets for me if can find a small print shop/custom print they may still use " old technology" as well as lead type set HINT HINT that's where I get mine.

Boolit Master
    If one is making gas checks for a bullet designed for a check the thickness of the check material is extremely important if the check is going to crimp, seal and have a completely flat base. If the check does not do all those things then one would probably be just a well off not using a check at all.

I did not know Coil & Foil was no longer in business. I probably have a lifetime of checks for my needs, but for those that don't I would suggest reading my post above and use roof flashing of the proper thickness. You can also find copper flashing as well as aluminium.

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    Hi yonky here, I did shut the coilandfoil website down, but I can still supply coils to the states, just contact me
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

In Remembrance

Glad you still have material available!
    Keith (PeeWee) and I only ever use your rolls. Great stuff.

For newbies, if you share what you are doing with the gas checks, Yonky can suggest width and thickness.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

I bought a nice large roll from Yonky recently, paid with PayPal and got it very quickly and has kept me making checks, easy to do business and contact him for material.

My material source is reflectors from scrap fluorescent light fittings. These are the types that don't have diffusers covering the tubes but instead have bare tubes embedded in a waffle like reflector. I used to find them in the skip at work. They take some pulling apart, all you need are pliers, but a 6 foot fitting yields enough for about 1500 30 cal. checks. The stuff is easy to cut with a paper guillotine or even heavy duty scissors. Thickness varies between .010 " and. 018" but all work equally well, testing with the Lee. 309-150 flat nose at 2240 fps in my 7.62 Cooper Match gives me groups just over. 5 moa even with a mixture of thicknesses.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Yonky??? you out there??? mailbox is full
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, aluminum oxide wear has been debated and I think the answer is that yes, aluminum oxide is abrasive but the amount and size one might get on a gas check is so fine at worst it is a small amount of ultrafine lapping compound. Also, since the checked boolits are usually lubed and sized the check is being cleaned off by the sizing die and the lube should keep the clean surface from oxidizing again... and the check gets wiped again when it is seated in the brass. In short I am not going to worry about it but that is just my opinion.

If you want a cheap source of gas checks old gutter works for me. It is quite thick at 0.019" IIRC but thicker than the usual 0.014" by quite a bit. However, it is free (my old gutters were free to me anyway) and draws a deep gas check which works well on my boolits so far. Mind you, to qualify that I made my own gas check maker from the Ed Smith instructions and use a mallet like for Freechex so the thicker material just requires a little more "whack!". Not sure if a Pat Marlin check maker or other in a loading press would handle that extra thickness. A Freechex check maker should though.

Free is good and there's lots of old gutters out there.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Oops! Not trying to rain on Yonky's parade as he is trying to make a living but I live in Canada anyway so... my free gutters are still good for me!

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Yonky??? you out there??? mailbox is full
    Hi yes i am here, i never noticed it was full! and i can't empty it at the moment, if anyone needs to contact me heres my address yonky@btinternet.com
    thanks for letting me know
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Pardon me gents, but this thread is for helping folks find proper material for producing gas checks. If you want discourse on powder coating methods, there is a sub forum for that. Thank you.
    I agree with what sigep1764 said!
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 11-05-2019 at 04:29 AM.

Boolit Master

thanks to all who got the info on Yonky.

I use his foil rolls and they're great--part of this hobby is fun and cutting al cans up isn't on my 'fun' list
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned
    Copper 6" x 12" Sheet, Dead Soft
    https://www.riogrande.com/product/co...-soft/132114gp

I used their 28-Ga. and a guillotine type paper cutter to make beautiful 30 cal GC. cost me < .02¢ per GC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123