Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Graf & SonsStainLess Steel MediaWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Material source for making checks?

Material source for making checks?

I recently got my 30 and 35 caliber checkmakers from Pat and would like to try them out. What material does everyone use? These would mostly be for 30-06 and 35 Rem boolits. It would be nice to find an economical source material that makes high quality checks. I went to the first page that came up with I googled and it seemed like the copper sheet would cost as much as factory checks.
    "I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious." - the Baron von Munchausen

Boolit Buddy
    I use pop or beer cans, they are really cheap
    Domari Nolo

Aluminum flashing for roof, make sure you get the right thickness for your checs. Amerimax is the brand I use.

So is there an accepted way to tell what thickness I need? Pats site suggests the .014 amerimax flashing. Is that a universal choice or does it vary by mold or caliber?
    "I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious." - the Baron von Munchausen

I make up checks in a variety of sizes from .010 to .016. One size does not fit all. For my use, .012 seems the best compromise. When you cut flashing for the checks it's a fine line between too large and to small. Contact the folks at Coil & Foil for rolls of aluminum is by far the easiest. Good people and service is top notch. Gp

I will add that if you are stuck on using copper and don't want to use aluminum other than being self-sufficient there's not a great savings over commercial checks. Vendors here at Boolits sell checks at a very reasonable price. Gp

Boolit Master
    I've found that a piece of soda can folded over and hammered flat works as well as the thicker aluminum flashing, at least for me. I have a Free Chex II in .45 cal, but I also found that I can use the check for my .44 cal. revolver boolits. YMMV....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

lyon shim stock
    sold in various thickness and materials, ie copper, dead soft bronze, alum etc, comes in 50 ft by 6" rolls if memory serves correct.

Boolit Master

I use Amerimax Aluminum Flashing (ACE Hardware Stores) for .30, .32, and .357. For my 50BMG cast boolits, I bought several rolls of aluminum strip from Coil and Foil - Great Product. For my .224 cast products - Coil and Foil again.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 07-12-2018 at 04:03 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Life is simpler by just getting your stock from Coil & Foil. If you use roof flashing you need the proper thickness, it needs to be annealed then cut into strips.

Boolit Mold
    I use soda cans with Pat's Checkmaker with excellent results. You may have to experiment with the right thickness for your boolit. Once zeroed in, you will be good to go. Coil and Foil for us lazy guys but I also have a quick system for making the soda can strips which saves me time. The harder your alloy the thinner/softer your material may need to be considering how much you have to size down. For my 44, bullets drop from the mold at .433 and I size down to .432. My bore is .4295 They swage on tight and do not come off. I have zero leading with a Lyman #2 alloy.