RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tumbling round balls, buckshot, and slugs

Boolit Mold
    The lyman 525 are used as a sabot style. Wouldnt making them smoother by tumbling with graphite defeat the purpose? Since now the wad wont be able to grab it as well to impart the spin from the riffling?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer81 View Post
    The lyman 525 are used as a sabot style. Wouldnt making them smoother by tumbling with graphite defeat the purpose? Since now the wad wont be able to grab it as well to impart the spin from the riffling?
    Nah, it didn’t have any affect on them. It didn’t change the diameter, it just got rid of the casting lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckshot and .69" roundballs after a couple hours in a vibratory case cleaner. No graphite or media used. The shiny shot and slugs are untumbled and cast from the same alloy as the gray ones.

BBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180527_182124.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	221152

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Buckshot and .69" roundballs after a couple hours in a vibratory case cleaner. No graphite or media used. The shiny shot and slugs are untumbled and cast from the same alloy as the gray ones.

BBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180527_182124.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	221152
    I use a Lortone large rock tumbler when tumbling hard cast lead buckshot, (.30" to 60"), with plain water. A few hours results in exceptionally smooth, dark polished pellets. The "rubber" barrel and water medium does reduced the volume - somewhat.

https://lortone.com/collections/tumb...odel-qt12?info
    Last edited by RMc; 05-27-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    I use a Lortone large rock tumbler when tumbling hard cast lead buckshot, (.30" to 60"), with plain water. A few hours results in exceptionally smooth, dark polished pellets. The "rubber" barrel and water medium does reduced the volume - somewhat.

https://lortone.com/collections/tumb...odel-qt12?info
    how much water do u add

Boolit Bub
    I tumbled a handful of 000 buck, it came out looking very nice. Good enough I might PC some of them just for the hell of it. Just under an hour in the tumbler with nothing but the shot in there.

I (we) have a Harbor Freight rotary tumbler. Bought it for the XYL when she wanted one but she doesn't use it. This encourages me to try casting round balls. Right now I don't have a need for round balls, though. I have a muzzleloader but it is a Rugef 77-50 and they are not rifled for round balls. I wouldn't mind trying some buckshot.

Jim

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Double drum Harbor Freight tumbler, put3 pounds of 00 buckshot in each drum, run them till they are as shiny as you want! Works for me!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12