Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Gas checks and pan lubing

Boolit Buddy

Gas checks and pan lubing

Going to be loading lee .430-310s for .44 mag. I don't have a lube sizer yet so I'm probably going to pan lube. I may just get a push through sizer from Lee. Should I pan lube and then put the gas check on while sizing it through the die or should I seat the gas checks and then pan lube? Will the checks stay on through pushing them out?
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

If the checks are crimped in place well they should stay on. Especially if you freeze the pan and push them out from the bottom.

But, pan lubing IMO is messy. Much easier to use 45/45/10 or BLL do one light coat, apply checks, size, apply another light coat let dry and load. Just my opinion.

Sizing die is a must for checks IMO. They push on but until they have been sized they will slip right off again.

Have fun, enjoy the journey.

Boolit Buddy
    Never really cared for tumble lubed bullets. They seem to attract dirt and gunk to the noses of loaded cartridges. Seemed like dirt was always finding a way onto my .45-70 boolits when I was hunting.

I pan lube that very boolit. I crimp on the check with a lee style sizer and then pan lube and run them through the sizer again to clean up the excess lube

Boolit Buddy
    Do you lube it with anything before you seat the check in the sizer? I'm thinking I may spray them with hornady one shot first.

I pan lube that exact bullet.
    I give it a light spritz with a spray case lube before seating the gas checks by running them upside down through a Lee sizer.

Then pan lube like normal.
    I like to remove the cake from the pan and push them out from the nose.

Works good.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Craveman a couple of drops of mineral spirits, or BLL on a towel, give each nose a twist and its clean, and will stay clean. Lube is locked into the case.

But with the right tumble lube and right amount they dry to a hard shell and don't attract dirt.

When pan lubing a GC bullet, I always lubed it, then applied the check over whatever lube was there and sized it. Never had any problems doing it that way, and it was speedy.

Boolit Master
    The "correct" way is to lube the bullets first. Then install the check with the push through die. Then lube the bullets again. I'm not saying this is the only way. This is the text book way.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    When I use tumble lube, I size before lubing. When I powder coat, I size and install a gas check before adding PC. Found the cas check's were hard to get started if I powder coated first .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    When I use tumble lube, I size before lubing. When I powder coat, I size and install a gas check before adding PC. Found the cas check's were hard to get started if I powder coated first .
    Then you must either be not lubing or cleaning off the lube before powder coating?

Motor

I use a touch of axial grease with a lee push thru to set check and then pan lube. I use homemade cake cutters, but i only pan lube my mehi 413640. I'm starting to PC now so put the gas check and size after.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Bub
    Pan lubing is....slow.

If you do not have a sizing machine, my suggestion is use slip on gas checks, ( the gas check store ) then, hand lube them, as you sit in front of the TV set.

Do not worry about sizing, the best cast bullet is one hand lubed, right from the mould.
    As for seating crimp on checks, well, you might just get the Lee set up, it works fine.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by robert12345 View Post
    Pan lubing is....slow.
    I would guess it is if you don't know how.

There are a lot of ways to do something.
    In this case, slow or fast. Hard or easy.

The funny thing about pan lubing methods is, fast and easy are friends. Slow and hard are friends too

The actual time spent doing it if you know what not to do is only a few minutes per pan. I've done too many tens of thousands to count.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Eventually if the revolver likes cast bullets then I'll probably get a lube a matic. But I'd hate to invest the money into getting one till I'm sure it will shoot cast well.

Boolit Buddy
    I pan lube 4570 and made a cookie cutter for removing the bullets. Used a fired 458 win mag case and I drilled out the primer pocket and put a wooden dowel in for a pushrod to knock the bullets out. I soldered some copper pipe to the case for a t handle. Could probably use a 444 case for the 44 bullets if I find one.

Boolit Master

Gas checks and pan lubing

Before getting a lubrisizer, I pan lubed, checked, and sized. No muss no fuss.

That was when the Lee kits were pan-lube and came with the hammer-through die and that oh-so-useful kaycutter.

If you want a good workout, get one of these old-style sizers and several hundred full wadcutters that need to be sized down .003 and get to work.