Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have an Amazon Alexa?

Boolit Master

Have an Amazon Alexa?

Apparently, Americans have actually PAID for a device that sits in your house and listens to everything you say.

Now those devices are apparently recording your conversations and creating sound files and storing those files. One device just inadvertently sent some of those files to a random person on the customer's contact list.

I am an Amazon Prime member since I live in the middle of nowhere and have to order a lot of stuff online. But, I couldn't imagine installing such an intrusive and powerful device in my home.

https://www.kiro7.com/www.kiro7.com/...tact/755507974

A Portland family contacted Amazon to investigate after they say a private conversation in their home was recorded by Amazon's Alexa -- the voice-controlled smart speaker -- and that the recorded audio was sent to the phone of a random person in Seattle, who was in the family’s contact list.

"My husband and I would joke and say I'd bet these devices are listening to what we're saying," said Danielle, who did not want us to use her last name.
    Every room in her family home was wired with the Amazon devices to control her home's heat, lights and security system.

But Danielle said two weeks ago their love for Alexa changed with an alarming phone call. "The person on the other line said, 'unplug your Alexa devices right now,'" she said. "'You're being hacked.'"

That person was one of her husband's employees, calling from Seattle.

"We unplugged all of them and he proceeded to tell us that he had received audio files of recordings from inside our house," she said. "At first, my husband was, like, 'no you didn't!' And the (recipient of the message) said 'You sat there talking about hardwood floors.' And we said, 'oh gosh, you really did hear us.'"

Danielle listened to the conversation when it was sent back to her, and she couldn't believe someone 176 miles away heard it too.

"I felt invaded," she said. "A total privacy invasion. Immediately I said, 'I'm never plugging that device in again, because I can't trust it.'"

Danielle says she unplugged all the devices, and she repeatedly called Amazon. She says an Alexa engineer investigated.

"They said 'our engineers went through your logs, and they saw exactly what you told us, they saw exactly what you said happened, and we're sorry.' He apologized like 15 times in a matter of 30 minutes and he said we really appreciate you bringing this to our attention, this is something we need to fix!"

But Danielle says the engineer did not provide specifics about why it happened, or if it's a widespread issue.

"He told us that the device just guessed what we were saying," she said. Danielle said the device did not audibly advise her it was preparing to send the recording, something it’s programmed to do.

When KIRO 7 asked Amazon questions, they sent this response:

“Amazon takes privacy very seriously. We investigated what happened and determined this was an extremely rare occurrence. We are taking steps to avoid this from happening in the future."

Amazon offered to “de-provision” Danielle’s Alexa communications so she could keep using its Smart Home Features. But Danielle is hoping Amazon gives her a refund for her devices, which she said their representatives have been unwilling to do. She says she’s curious to find out if anyone else has experienced the same issue.

"A husband and wife in the privacy of their home have conversations that they're not expecting to be sent to someone (in) their address book," she said.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

you have to be an utter moron to have one of those things.

Boolit Master
    Their very own Elf on a Shelf, run by a hard Left Obamunist. Charming.

Vendor Sponsor

Not in my home
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy

DUUUUUUUUUUH.people are funny...and not funny haha

Boolit Master
    Talking about floors, could have been a more embarrassing conversation.

Boolit Master

LOL - I just read this morning that an Alexa thought it heard someone say "Call Dad" in the middle of them having sex - made for an interesting call no doubt.

It'll never happen in my house - one step closer to the movie 1984...

Boolit Buddy

Welcome to 1984.

Boolit Master
    More stupidity By the American Public Soon Someone else will be Listening in
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Grand Master

Have an Amazon Alexa?

Have you bought a Smart TV recently? That may be listening to you as well. I have no need for these devices. I made my father unplug his Alexa before I would bring my children into his house. People are more than willing to give up privacy for convenience. The weird thing about Alexa is I don't see where the convenience is. It's simply a listening device and answers questions for people to lazy to pick up their phone and search google.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 05-24-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Have you bought a Smart TV recently? That may be listening to you as well. I have no need for these devices. I mad my father unplug his Alexa before I would bring my children into his house. People are more than willing to give up privacy for convenience. The weird thing about Alexa is I don't see where the convenience is. It's simply a listening device and answers questions for people to lazy to pick up their phone and search google.
    Younger generation here and I dont see the appeal in any of the 'voice search' devices. half the time they don't understand me and I have to repeat it anyways, I'd rather just open google if I need to search. count me out!
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't have onstar much less Alexa
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

No way in HE double hockey sticks will one of those devices ever be in my house.

Boolit Master
    Alexa, "smart" TVs, and worse yet, the latest laptops, tablets, pads and cell phones can not only listen to you, but watch you too. Most, if not all laptops can be hacked so that the person or entity who wants to know everything you're doing, can listen to you, look at you and log every keystroke you type.

Oh yeah, go ahead and assume that Micro$oft, Google, Amazon and host of others aren't going to try to invade what little privacy you might have left.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

"1984" was an interesting book. Some view it as a sort of prophesy! And indeed, there are those about in diverse places who'd very much LIKE to eavesdrop on all our conversations, if not look directly into our minds these days. Where will it all end? I think we've got the best synopsis of that in the Christian Bible, but many don't want to hear that. But what we WANT to hear isn't always what's good for us, so .... things proceed as they're destined to, I believe. I just wish the folks of this nation would finally wake up out of their nice, easy sleep, and wake up and smell the coffee brewing. (sigh) But apparently, that's not to be? All each of us CAN do is just take things as they come and do our part as citizens, and vote accordingly. If we voted for our TRUE best interests, I think many of us would have to change our voting habits. So many think that passing another law is the way to "control" things, but those who are determined to control us do NOT stop when a law is passed, but look for "run arounds" to skirt the letter of the law and STILL get what they want. God help our nation! Amen.

Boolit Master

Kindle fire has Alexa, and is always on listening to you even if you never activate it.
    When I'm not using mine, I put it under the mattress in the bedroom and close the door.
    It probably has hours and hours of me snoring while it is being charge at night.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    They want to know what you talk about in your home. = Alexa
    They want to know (and monitor) your driving habits. = Your car's GPS and computer
    They want to know your entire medical history (and control your access to medical aid). = obamacare
    They want to know how much you drink. = http://freebeacon.com/issues/feds-sp...or-much-drink/
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Master

Not to be outdone, Facebook got in on the action
    Facebook will ask its users to upload nude photos in an attempt to keep them safe.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8365646.html
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Kindle fire has Alexa, and is always on listening to you even if you never activate it.
    When I'm not using mine, I put it under the mattress in the bedroom and close the door.
    It probably has hours and hours of me snoring while it is being charge at night.
    Mine is off when not in use. I don't know how much information they get from me. I use it solely to watch movies while on a plane. No wifi there. And it's not connected to my wifi at home. I still don't like the fact that I can't disable it completely.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Mine is off when not in use. I don't know how much information they get from me. I use it solely to watch movies while on a plane. No wifi there. And it's not connected to my wifi at home. I still don't like the fact that I can't disable it completely.
    You suppose they engineered the Kindle, the iPhones and others to be impossible to conveniently and immediately disable, because it was advantageous and beneficial to the consumers?

- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast