Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Land line phone

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    i think I found the problem.
    The phone jack is all corroded.
    I think it maybe shorting the wires. Red and green.
    Since Radio Shack closed, don't have a go-to place for stuff like that.
    I'll need to drive to town and see if Home Depot or Lowes has it.
    Ask your local phone company.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    The standard for the 4 conductor wire is to use Red & Green for the dial tone. Voltage between the two conductors should be 48vdc when idle and 100+vac when ringing. At least that's the way it worked for the Bell/AT&T Companies. It's been 16 years since I retired from the Phone "Factory", but I still remember the color codes.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

The standard for the 4 conductor wire is to use Red & Green for the dial tone. Voltage between the two conductors should be 48vdc when idle and 100+vac when ringing. At least that's the way it worked for the Bell/AT&T Companies. It's been 16 years since I retired from the Phone "Factory", but I still remember the color codes.

Lowe's Home Depot and maybe Walmart will have a replacement jack.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick N Bama View Post

Lowe's Home Depot and maybe Walmart will have a replacement jack.
    You are correct, been a long time since i worked on that stuff. Don't know why I said 24 volt tip to ring, we ran a + and - 24 vdc power supplies connected ground to hot to make 48 volts dc, getting old I guess.
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

Boolit Master
    If your red & green wires were shorted it would not cause the phone to ring. It would make your line permanently busy. I have no idea what is going on with your phone line to cause the phone to ring continually.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Thanks for the tip. I recently called on a client who's phone was out. Opening the jack, one wire was broken. choice of blue, blue w/white and one other. I connected the orange to the red, blue to the green and got a dial tone. Client was very thankful. If the phone co had come out to do what I did in 10 minutes or less it would have been $80.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G. View Post
    You are correct, been a long time since i worked on that stuff. Don't know why I said 24 volt tip to ring, we ran a + and - 24 vdc power supplies connected ground to hot to make 48 volts dc, getting old I guess.
    Let's pray you will never forget. blue-orange-green-brown-slate.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Let's pray you will never forget. blue-orange-green-brown-slate.
    As well as "Why Run Backwards You Varmint"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    Land line owners with no cell phones are the last of a breed. These folks are free and still know what it is like to miss a call because they are outside mowing the lawn or will call back after they are done eating. I am happy to be one of them.

However........since so few customers are using land lines, the telephone companies do not really care if folks are having problems. You can get through after you wait for about 45 minutes, and then the company takes its sweet time getting to your house to fix the problem.

.......but then again, when the phone line is down, you don't get calls during dinner. Ahhhhhhhhhhh..........smells like the late nineties where I am sitting.
    News Flash!!!!
    This can be done with cell phones as well. When I'm not traveling, mine sits on the counter next to the wall where the land line phone used to be. I answer it if I'm expecting a call from someone I want to talk to. The ringer is easily shut off when I don't want to be bothered. Cell phones are handy when you break the flange on your exhaust pipe where it connects to the turbo, on a Sunday afternoon, at Walcott Junction, middle of nowhere Wyoming. Land lines are worthless in that situation.

I have a message that states "If your call is important to you, leave a message. If it's important to me, I'll call back"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12