Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land line phone

Boolit Grand Master

Land line phone

Having trouble with one of my phones.
    It seems to be shorted someplace.
    Phone rings for a split second continuously. I un-plugged it.
    I replaced it with another one I had.
    Stopped ringing, but phone not letting calls come in.
    Changed the wire, but something is still wrong.
    I probably mixed up the wires.
    Anyone know what the color code, for the wires, should be????
    4 wires black, green, red, yellow.
    All the other phones work fine.

Boolit Master
    Take a quick look at the back of a jack that is working, copy that.

Sorry, it’s been too long since I had to wire a jack.

Have a cell phone? Don't need the land line for a fax or something else?
    Tell your provider Bye Bye and save the monthly cost..
    Did it six years ago and never looked back.
    Had 3 land lines House, Buisness and Fax costing 400 to 450 a month. Not no more, bumped up my cell plan everyone is more than happy to email you what they want you to have.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Banned

Get Magic Jack for VOIP aka internet home phone for around $2 a month.
    If you are self-employed you can write off you cell phone if you have a home phone.

Boolit Grand Master
    Found a diagram on-line.
    I have a cell phone. Old one. Only use it to call out in emergencies while on the road.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    keep the land line. i wouldn't have a cell phone. wife has one for emergency. i gave her number to gun store while waiting for an instant check. when call came she could not figure how to answer it. needles to say it gets used a lot.

Boolit Master
    The red and green are the two that matter. Only two wires got to the central office. If you reverse them the phone will still work but the red should be first.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak1 View Post
    Have a cell phone? Don't need the land line for a fax or something else?
    Tell your provider Bye Bye and save the monthly cost..
    Did it six years ago and never looked back.
    Had 3 land lines House, Buisness and Fax costing 400 to 450 a month. Not no more, bumped up my cell plan everyone is more than happy to email you what they want you to have.
    Not always the case , our local provider for phone cable and Internet actually reduced our bill by 12 bucks a month to have a land line in a package deal with the net and cable ! We told them sure we'll do it , they hooked it up we had it about a month got nothing but robo calls on it so we just unplugged the phone BUT we're still paying 12 bucks less a month .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I got a land line and no cell. A cell would not last for how I am and might kill it or lost it. So for now I stay with the land line.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    [QUOTE=jmort;4369898]Get Magic Jack for VOIP aka internet home phone for around $2 a month.
    If you are self-employed you can write off you cell phone if you have a home phone.[/QUOTE

I agree . Bought a $39.00 Magic Jack at Walmart 5 years ago ...has never failed . So up to now have saved ..$2553.60 !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    Same exact thing happened to our land line phone about 3 weeks ago. Had to unplug it. I don't believe in coincidence.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

We're keeping the land line. After a hurricane it's about the only thing that works!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    We're keeping the land line. After a hurricane it's about the only thing that works!
    That is why we kept ours for years (finally dropped it) but due to tornadoes. We live just north of Moore, OK.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Red and Green are whats called the tip and ring, old terminology from when operators would move cables to connect calls. You should be able to measure 48 volts DC between them and about 270 volts AC when a call comes in, AKA ring voltage. If no 48 volts then they might have used yellow and black. They used to power the lighted Princes phones with them or use them for a second line in a house. If no 48 volts then broken wire somewhere between your phone and your service drop.
    Last edited by Greg G.; 05-18-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Fixxed wrong info
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

Moderator Emeritus

My cell signal is bad in these mountains - I had to put up my own tower. Landline us for emergencies and actually having a conversation without being stuck near tower. Just bought wireless phones that connect via Bluetooth to house phones. Works great as cell can sit in one spot. Cell also provides my internet for the house. Verizon unlimited plan. I get as good internet speed on that as do folks with the old copper lines in this area.

Boolit Master
    Land line owners with no cell phones are the last of a breed. These folks are free and still know what it is like to miss a call because they are outside mowing the lawn or will call back after they are done eating. I am happy to be one of them.

However........since so few customers are using land lines, the telephone companies do not really care if folks are having problems. You can get through after you wait for about 45 minutes, and then the company takes its sweet time getting to your house to fix the problem.

.......but then again, when the phone line is down, you don't get calls during dinner. Ahhhhhhhhhhh..........smells like the late nineties where I am sitting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G. View Post
    Red and Green are whats called the tip and ring, old terminology from when operators would move cables to connect calls. You should be able to measure 24 volts DC between them and about 270 volts AC when a call comes in, AKA ring voltage. If no 24 volts then they might have used yellow and black. They used to power the lighted Princes phones with them or use them for a second line in a house. If no 24 volts then broken wire somewhere between your phone and your service drop.
    Written like a true phone man. I have not heard the words tip & ring since retiring. Tip referred to the tip of the plug used on switchboards. Ring referred to the brass ring found on the plug. I installed and worked on switchboards for many years. Of course that was a long time ago.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Written like a true phone man. I have not heard the words tip & ring since retiring. Tip referred to the tip of the plug used on switchboards. Ring referred to the brass ring found on the plug. I installed and worked on switchboards for many years. Of course that was a long time ago.
    My first job was fixing circuit cards for a company the made PBX systems for hotel/motel phone systems. That was back when they payed you to fix electronics instead of throwing it out and buying a new one.
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

Boolit Master
    The problem with hard phone lines provided by the cable provider is the signal is digital and converted at the box in the panel. Polarity matters and depending on the service the phone may work one way but not the other. I.E. Have tone & can call out but doesn't ring on incoming calls. IF you don't have a tester like I do, find the two wires that get you dial tone if your still having problems reverse them. When we first got cable/internet/phone we had a problem with not getting incoming calls, I found the polarity was reversed with my phone line tester and once reversed it worked just fine.

Boolit Grand Master
    i think I found the problem.
    The phone jack is all corroded.
    I think it maybe shorting the wires. Red and green.
    Since Radio Shack closed, don't have a go-to place for stuff like that.
    I'll need to drive to town and see if Home Depot or Lowes has it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast