Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arsenal Molds - Dimensions?

Boolit Buddy

Arsenal Molds - Dimensions?

I have a few Arsenal Molds, and I really like them. Good build quality and easy to cast with. But I'm not too happy with the dimensions on my latest purchase, a 403-180 TC mold. The mold halves close nicely, but the bullets still come out a little out of round. They measure .40050 on one side, and .40325 on the other, measured with a Starrett micrometer. Bullets drop at 174.5-175gr with an alloy that consists of 75% clip-on WW and 25% pure. No extra tin added.
    Should I consider the mold within spec, or do I have enough reason to complain? I was thinking to size to .402.

Boolit Master
    They will make it right if it is a problem , contact them . I just noticed your in Norway WOW how is shipping ?

Boolit Buddy
    I'll contact them and get their advise. Shipping will run pretty high, so I doubt it's worth sending the mold back to the US.

Boolit Grand Master

Run a few through the .402 sizer and see if that helps round them out. This is one of the reasons I size my boolits...it can help with slightly out of roundness.
    This might save you that high postage.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I had bought an Arsenal 124gr TC that was dropping bullets undersized. I emailed Arsenal and Jared was very apologetic and got me a new one sent out ASAP, no questions asked, didn't request the other back. I got a new one free of charge in a few days. Really cant ask for anything better as far as customer service goes.

I'd send him an email, I bet he'd do you right.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    I have 4 of his molds and they are spot on. Dale

Boolit Master
    I believe that he is a member here at Cast boollits .

Boolit Buddy
    I agree, their molds work flawlessly and are every well made. I have another order with them for two more molds as we speak. I'll drop them an email ASAP, I don't like to complain but I was thinking to offer some of these bullets commercially.

Boolit Buddy
    I dropped Jared an email, so we'll see what he says. I only cast with this mold once, so it might need a few more heat cycles to be broken in properly. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbo View Post
    The mold halves close nicely, but the bullets still come out a little out of round. They measure .40050 on one side, and .40325 on the other, measured with a Starrett micrometer.

I was thinking to size to .402.
    0.003" is a lot out of round. The .402 sizer will not help.

Had a mold with that was out of round - One of the pins was out too far and wouldn't let the mold close tight

Boolit Master
    A footnote I forgot, the replacement mold I was sent was perfect and makes beautiful bullets! Other than the undersize issue on the 1st one it was perfect as well. Very well made and beautiful molds.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    I'm lifting this thread. I don't know if I'm just plain unlucky, or if there's something else at play here. I ordered a couple more molds from Arsenal, and the dimensions were way off. I've been trying to get a response from Arsenal for a while, without any luck. One of the molds was a 45 caliber 250gr LFNGC, and the gas check shank measures at .434", and it's just impossible to get the gas checks on there. And this it with an alloy not very rich in antimony and tin either. I've tried with both Gator and Hornady checks. It's not possible to use this bullet without the gas check because the lube groove sits at the bottom against the gas check.
    The other mold, a 44 caliber 250gr LFNGC is a little bit better, at least I can get the gas checks on. It is a few thousandths out of round, but rather that than not usable at all.
    Maybe I'm just spoiled with NOE, MP, LBT, Accurate and other mold makers, but the least one could expect is a response from the manufacturer.

Banned

I'm lifting this thread. I don't know if I'm just plain unlucky, or if there's something else at play here. I ordered a couple more molds from Arsenal, and the dimensions were way off. I've been trying to get a response from Arsenal for a while, without any luck. One of the molds was a 45 caliber 250gr LFNGC, and the gas check shank measures at .434", and it's just impossible to get the gas checks on there. And this it with an alloy not very rich in antimony and tin either. I've tried with both Gator and Hornady checks. It's not possible to use this bullet without the gas check because the lube groove sits at the bottom against the gas check.
    The other mold, a 44 caliber 250gr LFNGC is a little bit better, at least I can get the gas checks on. It is a few thousandths out of round, but rather that than not usable at all.
    Maybe I'm just spoiled with NOE, MP, LBT, Accurate and other mold makers, but the least one could expect is a response from the manufacturer.
    That is not good. As you noted, there are better places to spend your money.
    No excuse for not getting a response.
    You want perfection, Tom at Accurate does it.
    Sorry you get left holding the bag.

I would try to call him. I have had trouble contacting mold makers and gunsmiths by email. I guess some people don’t embrace new technology as well as others.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    jmort, thanks for the support. It's a shame, Arsenal's molds are well built and reasonably priced, and if they held better tolerances they'd be fantastic. Tom and others will get my business from now on.
    Wheelguns 1961, I was under the impression that most machinists prefer email, then they can answer on their own time and not lose precious time in the shop. I might give him a call if it doesn't cost me a fortune, I don't have a land line.

Boolit Buddy
    The only way I'll be able to use this mold is to machine out the gas check shank. Is this something that can be easily done?

Boolit Master
    Gumbo,

Perhaps a phone card would work with your cell phone?

Sorry to hear about your problems with Arsenal. It’s just not characteristic of their MO. The borders and freight charges etc certainly complicate things as well.

Good luck from a second generation Norwegian!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I'm A Honcho!
    I have many of his molds and they have all been good.
    Have you tried reaching out to him he has always made any issue right!

Please PM me and we will work through it.

Thank You

Banned

He has been trying to get a response. No luck.

Boolit Buddy
    Wasalmonslayer, I've sent them several emails, both through the contact form on their website and through my email client, without any luck. I also dropped them a message on Facebook yesterday, but looks like they haven't read the message yet. It's been about a month and a half without any response whatsoever. One explanation could be that my emails get caught in some spam filter, but the messages through the website should get there. And they did receive my email messages before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast