StainLess Steel MediaWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionGraf & Sons

Thread: Ruger super Blackhawk quality

Boolit Master

Ruger super Blackhawk quality

I'm getting my first revolver soon. As soon as the judge signs my permit paperwork anyways. I plan on getting a Ruger super blackhawk hunter in 44 magnum. I plan on shooting exclusively cast bullets from it. I know I won't be able to slug the barrel on one before I buy it but is there anything else I should look out for? I heard that some had quite the variance in throat size but couldn't tell if it was older models or newer ones. I'm hoping the shop won't object to me checking the throats with a micrometer at least.
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

Boolit Master
    Neither a micrometer nor a caliper will be accurate enough. Aside from slugging the cylinder, only pin gauges will yield the size of the cylinder throats. You also need to consider the possibility of a thread choke in the bore which can only be found by slugging the barrel. So all in all it is kinda a roll of the dice on what you have with any selection you make.

Boolit Master
    What he said.
    HOWEVER,,, the 44's seem to have less issues than the 45's. The one thing may be thread choke,,, which firelapping can easily correct. BUT,,,,, before you tinker with it,,,, shoot it to see how it does. Record your info, and if something isn't "right" then make a change. By having records,,, you can see if your changes make an improvement or not. But,, by all means,,, shoot it before you do anything.

Boolit Master

To be honest, you can likely expect to need the cylinder throats "corrected" because many are uneven, even if they are of sufficient size, which most aren't. This should almost be expected. It is quite common and is an inexpensive, one-time fix.

You can take a cleaning rod with the plastic jag, patch it with paper towel tight in the bore, push it down the bore and observe how much effort it requires to keep the jag moving. Changes in resistance reflect changes in bore size, accurately enough that you can get a good "feel" (pun intended) for how even the barrel is. If you get to the barrel/frame juncture and the tension against the jag does not change, you are golden! If it changes just a little bit, that can be firelapped if you want to, if it stops and has extreme resistance against further movement, the choke is SEVERE and that one will never be a good shooter! Stainless Rugers are a devil to firelap when the choke is severe. The stainless is TOUGH and by the time you lap it enough to rid the constriction if it is indeed severe, rifling in the rest of the barrel can be pretty much trashed.

If your shop will let you run a dry patched paper towel down the bore before you buy, and it is severely choked, I would NOT buy that one. Save yourself the trouble.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throat reaming? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? Shoot me a PM! Also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Cylinderhone-756429174391912/

Boolit Master
    Maybe I'll find a set of gauges to bring with me then. I wonder if removing the barrel and chasing the threads could remove a frame constriction. I'd rather run it through a fresh tap and die than fire lap it. Could even put the barrel in a lathe and maybe turn the threads down a thou
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!