MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: 30-06 and density sensitive powder

Boolit Master

30-06 and density sensitive powder

I am looking for a "safe" starting load for the Lee C-309-160RN using H4895, Unique, IMR4227 or H335. I have a burn rate chart but is there a chart that lists powders from least dense to most dense? Trying to get away from using fillers. I powder coat, size and GC. I'm shooting a pre-64 Ted Williams with 24" barrel (Winchester model 70). Thanks for any expertise!

I've shot a bunch of unique in the 30-06 . Start at 10 gr and work your way up . My sweet spot was 14 grs with bullets in that weight range .

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/Dippers.pdf
    https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/AD2302.pdf

Neither sorts by density, but you can use either one of them to figure out how relative density for the powders you are planning to use.

Boolit Master

RU Shooter- did you use a filler like Dacron and how much?

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    RU Shooter- did you use a filler like Dacron and how much?
    Nope always just load them up and shootem shot a lot of that load in reduced Highpower competition never worried about powder position and always shot fine . Only powders I used Dacron with in big cases are 4895 and similar .

Boolit Master

That is odd because here>>>> http://www.reloadammo.com/3006load.htm it calls for 40 or 50 grs of 4895 on 100-220 gr bullets. I know there are a lot of variables (slow burning, fast burning, position sensitive etc.) But hey, I'll take your word. Lyman 4th ed. says start at 18 grs and 26 max I believe, I'll work my way up from 10 to see what's accurate at say 100 yards.

In that link you refer to they are loading jacketed bullets at regular speeds. I agree no need for Dacron . BUT cast bullets are a different animal . If I was using say 4895 with a 150-180 gr cast bullet I'd only be using 28-35 grs of powder . Then I'd used the Dacron .

Yeah the Lyman manual says start at 18 but imo that's pretty hot is it safe yes will you find accuracy there ? Probably not . There are better powders to make higher vel. If you just want a good target load 14 grs is plenty of speed even out to 200 yds with mid weight bullets I shot some very respectable scores slow prone with my 03A3 with that combo at 200 yds .

Boolit Master

All in all I just wanna drop a deer at no more than 100 yards Thanks for all the info!

I worked up some light loads for my 30-06. Lee 170gr, pc'd with gas checks, with H4895. Weatherby Vanguard. I loaded a string of 5 each @ 33, 34, 35, 36 grs. No chrono, no dacron, The velocity spread should be in the 2100-2250 range. Fired groups at 50 yds. All did well but the 36 grain load printed the tightest. So I loaded up 10 more 36 grainers and took it out to 100 yds. Put all 10 rounds into a 2" group. Not too shabby. This should scoot along at about 2200fps. This load will be a dandy for corn crunchers out to 150yds. Hope this helps.
    If you're looking to go lighter, try some Tite Group. I'm having good luck with it in the 7-9 grain range at about 1300-1400 fps area.
    Last edited by fastdadio; 05-19-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Boolit Master

Thanks fastdadio, going to try that. For some reason my 160 gr mold cast's about 153 gr's (I know it's my alloy) BUT by pc'd and gas check it brings it close to 160.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 35 grn. of IMR 4895 with a lee 150 grn. PC'd Gc. rnfp around 2400 fps. dropped a black tail like a rock.
    CC

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by clearcut View Post
    I use 35 grn. of IMR 4895 with a lee 150 grn. PC'd Gc. rnfp around 2400 fps. dropped a black tail like a rock.
    CC
    That's interesting. Is IMR 4895 similar to H4895?

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    That's interesting. Is IMR 4895 similar to H4895?
    Yes. Not identical, but similar enough to use the same data. As always, take care if approaching max loading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Yes. Not identical, but similar enough to use the same data. As always, take care if approaching max loading.
    Thank You & 10-4

Boolit Grand Master

Lee's book [page 704, 2nd edition] gives a "factor" (VMD) for powder density based on how much 1 grain weighs cubic centimeters. The lower the figure the more dense the powder will be and thus will occupy less space with a given weight in a given cartridge.

The VMD for the powders you mentioned are;

H4895; .07280
    Unique; .10920
    IMR4227; .07690
    H335; .06450

As you see a given weight of Unique will occupy the greatest space. That however is a very dangerous way of adjusting loads. A max safe charge/weight of Unique will occupy far less space in your 30-06 under your cast bullet than will a max safe charge/weight of H4895.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 05-23-2018 at 03:47 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    I load the Lee 160 in both '06 and 30-30. Gas checked and alox or powder coated
    Nice boolit, is pretty accurate. I use 27 to 29 grains of either 4895 powder with no filler.
    Have only taken deer with the Lyman 311291 and the Lyman 358156 boolits, but the Lee 160 should do fine. Just don't expect the trauma and shock you get with jacketed bullets. I like to put boolits in bones so the deer stay put. Longest runner I had was a cull buck shot with the 358156 at 38SPL +P velocity; he made it about 100yds with a hole thru and thru both lungs and aorta severed.
    Shortest "runner" was a bang flop thru the shoulders with the 311291. He did need a finish off shot.