Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Show Me Your .38 S&Ws (NOT Specials)

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Outpost,

Nice rollers man!

What dies do you use for the .38? I tried Lee (marked .38 S&W) some years back but the sizer was identical to a .38 spl. Before I got those I used Lee 9mm Luger dies I already had, with a .38 Special shell holder and they did OK, but I really wanted a proper roll crimp and not a taper crimp, and the RCBS Cowboy set does exactly what I want, has a proper expander for .360" bullets and does not over-work the cases.

Cat
    I use RCBS .38 S&W "Cowboy" dies for mine. Sizer is NOT carbide, so you must lube the cases, but they do a great job.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Here’s mine. I had it for about 25 years and it’s a hoot to shoot.
    Attachment 220581Attachment 220582
    Must be tough aiming it like that. lol

Nice gun.

Boolit Master

Ahh. Thanks Outpost.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-05-18 18.16.19.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	220653

My two. Ones and enfield the other is a 33-6 I think was new never fired when I got it.
    Some Noe 200Gr and old factory ammo.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    mine!

I loved my old Enfield. I loaded HBWC's in it to fit the oversize bore. It was minute of mud turtle, rabbit, and squirrel with those loads. I also brazed a bead on the front sight to correct poi and cut a SA notch in the hammer for aimed fire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Some very nice guns here, folks. I don't have an actual .38 S&W, but I do feed my S&W 637 an equivalent load: 3.2 grains Bullseye/Lyman 358091 for 712 fps.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    I currently have five 38 S&W examples on hand, and two 38 Specials. For the past 3 years or so, the 38 S&Ws have gotten a lot more range and field time than have the Specials.

Oldest to newest, as best I can determine.......

1) Iver Johnson "Owl Head", 3" barrel, made prior to WWI. Throats are .361", and it gets .375 RBs sized to .363" in an H&I die atop 1.5 grains of WW-231.

2) Colt Police Positive x 4", 1920 mfg. Throats @ .359", Lyman #358477 @ .359" atop 3.0 grains of Unique or 3.3 grains of Herco gives 700-725 FPS.

3) S&W Regulation Police x 4", 1933 mfg. Throats @ .361", one of my #358477 moulds drops .362" castings that clean up @ .361", same powder weights as #2 above.

4) Webley-Enfield DAO service revolver, likely WWII mfg. 4-1/2" barrel, throats .362"-.363". Shoots NEI #169A roughly to the sights at 25yards, 3.0 x Unique or 3.3 x Herco for 625-650 FPS.

5) S&W M&P "Lend-Lease" 38/200, 5" barrel, .363" throats. Shoots #169A into groups half the size of those produced at 25 yards by the W-E, 650-675 FPS.

I have the RCBS Cowboy Die Set in 38 S&W; it has two sizes of expander spud marked ".358" and ".360". The set's seater die will not accept a bullet larger than .362", but the 9mm Makarov die set can lend a hand here--tungsten carbide sizer die of proper diameter for 38 S&W, and the bullet aligning sleeve in the Mak seater die will fit a .367" pin gauge.

In a good revolver with decent sighting gear, the 38 S&W can give a good showing for itself downrange. The Colt PP and the S&W M&P have the best sights, and have accounted for lots of small varmints.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Yeah, she's a beauty ... but a heavy hog to cast with. Rains bullets once it's up to temperature though. I have the sister mould to it in a 5 cavity as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Love that mold!!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I don't have a .38 S&W, darn it. A while ago, a forum member offered a Baby Russian Smith that was in pretty good shape but I pndered too long and it passed. Now I sorely covet one. A thing like that could become my constant carry companion.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

9.3x62AL -

Thanks for posting the comprehensive info!

This is EXACTLY the type of feedback I was hoping to encourage!

Bravo Zulu and an extra rum ration for you at mess this evening!

Attachment 220678

All Hands Please Carry On!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Mmmmmmmm.
    Pusser issue?
    D85 962 666, petty officer Morash, R, permission to drink it "neat" SIR?

Ahhhh the the lack of memories.
    be safe

Quote Originally Posted by leebuilder View Post
    Mmmmmmmm.
    Pusser issue?
    D85 962 666, petty officer Morash, R, permission to drink it "neat" SIR?

Ahhhh the the lack of memories.
    be safe
    "Neat" is customarily authorized for enlisted ratings who have attained the age of 40 years. Carry On!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    I age-qualified a couple decades back! Thank you for the kind words, Outpost.

The point to be made here is that the 38 S&W is NOT just a 38 Special Short--the 38 S&W case is fatter than that of the Special (.386"-.387") vs the 38 Special/357 spec of .379". 38 S&W bullets have a "mean" diameter spec of .361", and the throat specs vary from maker to maker--and sometimes from example to example within a given make. A "Tale of the Tape" on your revolver's throat spec prior to ammo assembly will keep you on the path to accuracy and prevent bore and throat leading.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I age-qualified a couple decades back! Thank you for the kind words, Outpost.

The point to be made here is that the 38 S&W is NOT just a 38 Special Short--the 38 S&W case is fatter than that of the Special (.386"-.387") vs the 38 Special/357 spec of .379". 38 S&W bullets have a "mean" diameter spec of .361", and the throat specs vary from maker to maker--and sometimes from example to example within a given make. A "Tale of the Tape" on your revolver's throat spec prior to ammo assembly will keep you on the path to accuracy and prevent bore and throat leading.
    Base diameter of .38 S&W is larger also and won't enter into "most" .38 Special revolver chambers. One notable exception being certain Ruger "Six" series .38 Special and .357s which will accept current REMINGTON and older Rem-UMC brands of .38 S&W 146-grain LRN ammo, but not current Winchester, older WRA, or Kynoch, or postwar Norma, Fiocchi, Geco, or new Starline brass.

Some S&W 940 9mm Centennial revolvers accept and function fine with R-P .38 S&W without clips and 9mm with clips, at least mine does...

Attachment 220688Attachment 220689Attachment 220690Attachment 220691Attachment 220692
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    So--38 S&W = 9mm Auto Rim? Interesting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    So--38 S&W = 9mm Auto Rim? Interesting.
    probably loaded to a lower pressure than Federal's discontinued 9mmAR cartridge.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    probably loaded to a lower pressure than Federal's discontinued 9mmAR cartridge.
    Because I have several older .38 S&W revolvers I'm not about to assemble any .38 S&W +P to use in the 940, for fear of a mixup.

But I like the idea of being able to use .38 S&W ammo I already have loaded for the older revolvers in the 940 for practice, and the fact that its fixed sights are "on" at practical ranges with both 146-grain .38 S&W and 9mm Parabellum 147-grain JHPs.

Rather convenient.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Outpost 75: I recently picked up a 940 and your use of .38 S&W in it is timely info for me. I'd never have thought that the larger diameter .38 boolits would have fit the bore, however. I have been considering loading some 147 grainers in 9mm, can you give me an idea what load you are using? Thanks, GF.

Boolit Master

Must be old navy. Wasnt 40 at the time, but my only splicing of the main brace at sea. I was allowed 3 plus spillage, made it 3 frames before my gyro koncked out.
    i did it just because.
    Be well

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast