Graf & SonsTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2StainLess Steel Media
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anybody process copper jackets?

Boolit Master

One safety concern I would have about melting down bullet jackets would be vaporized lead. At the temperature copper melts, I'd sure be careful to stay away from the fumes.

Boolit Master
    Make brass ingots from your scrap copper and scrap zinc.......a little lead wont hurt for the kind of stuff rough brass is used for.Melting brass is not difficult,and a wood fired furnace with a blower is quite sufficient........be prepared for the white heat ....it will burn through a thick shirt at the end of a long crucible tong.......no inexperienced helpers .....you must be prepared to be part roasted as you pour........very lucrative stuff can be made from cheap 60/40 brass.....replica Loco nameplates,machinery plates with famous names ,medium size bells ,etc.

Boolit Master
    I have several 5 Gal buckets of jackets and was considering throwing them into the next big bonfire I have and see if that burns the lead from them. I think the Greenies may hate me though. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    may I suggest an ammonia solution in a cheap cement mixer? it may bring the red out of the copper jacketing. I will be trying this in a few days................ just for kicks.

Boolit Master
    I would be interested in the results of this test. Regards Stehen

Boolit Bub
    Jackets are often gilding metal - a brass alloy of 95% copper and 5% zinc. It's not like they're copper wire (typically pretty darn pure, usually less than 0.1% "other") that can be tossed into the copper foundry's crucibles - that zinc content changes everything for a "pure copper" process. So bullet jacket metal is suspect and often not welcome.

Plated bullets, on the other hand, are plated with pure copper because it's a real challenge to plate lead with brass - you need to flash plate many metals with copper before you start plating with nickel, brass, etc., so why not just use copper?

If you're looking at what to do with a mountain of jackets, melting them down and casting "interesting" stuff is a good idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12