Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Page 35 high velocity buckshot test.

Boolit Master

Page 35 high velocity buckshot test.

There has been some chatter on various forums about the high velocity buckshot loads on page 35 in the IMR manual.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR..._reloading.pdf

I had all the components on hand except for the buffer. I did a little research and figured BPI #47 would probably work so I placed an order with Ballistic Products for it and some more AA hulls just because I was paying shipping anyways.

I am using a 12 cav 00 Buckshot mold from Heavy Metal Molds, I tumble the buckshot in my rotary tumbler to help knock down the spur nubs. I have also been powder coating my buckshot for no real reason other than it makes it look good.

I opted to try the 800x load in Winchester AA hulls with WAA12r wads with 20grs of buffer I used a vibratory tumbler to help get the buffer into the wad and I noticed an overshot thin card gave me a better crimp and kept the buffer in the shell.

Right no card left with card.

My test guns both are cylinder bore "house guns" one is an 18" Remington 870 the other is a 20" Maverick 88 so velocity is probably a bit less than what book calls for at 1545fps. At 20 yards both guns put the 8 pellet payload into a 12" pattern. The circled holes are from the 20" the dashed holes are from the 18". These loads are no joke. I am going to pattern them out of a different shotgun with screw in chokes to see if I have a viable 50 yard coyote stopper or maybe an antelope load.

My normal buckshot blasting load is a 10 pellet 00 payload at probably 1000-1100fps in Remington Gun Club hulls, they have a nice push, these 8 pellet loads just stomp you.....that didn't stop me from shooting all 30 of them I loaded to test at steel and paper.
    Last edited by dk17hmr; 05-14-2018 at 05:49 PM.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

That's the 2nd best loads I ever tested. Out of my full choke 870 I would get 3-4 in an 8" circle. Bad news for anything. That pattern out of your gun is top notch for close work. Loaded a bunch for the stash.
    PS...start with a little buffer 1st to cover bottom of wad as ot helps from blowing the base of the shot cup.
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 05-14-2018 at 09:13 PM.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill