Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C. Sharps

Boolit Mold

C. Sharps

I posted not long ago about plans yo buy an Uberti High Wall in 38-55. Had some good comments. I've decided that I will not get the Uberti. Instead, I am going to get me a C. Sharps 1885 38-55 High Wall Sporting Rifle. Any positive or negative comments on this rifle would be helpful. This forum has been great on an ol man.

Boolit Master
    Definitely an up grade !

Boolit Master
    I have two C. Sharps 1874's and their fit and finish is impeccable. You will love it.

Boolit Mold
    Does anyone use their tang sights? Are they quality.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You might want to consider having them add the single set trigger if you're going to use it for target work/competion.
    Their sights are ok, but you'll be happier in the long run with Baldwin, Hoke or MVA. I prefer the Baldwin sights on the front.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Banned

yep, that c.sharps will be best, and you do want an adjustable set trigger for target work, DST preferred but SS will do. and for the least cost for an excellent sight set, check out the lee shaver super grade vernier soule rear tang and spirit globe front. lots will depend on how much you'll use the gun as much what it'll be used for - what you put in, is what you'll get out.

Boolit Master

I have a C-Sharps in 85 and 75. The 85 is a 40-65 and the 75 is 38-55. Both are Badger barrels and both shoot very well although I would have to give the edge to the 38-55. The 85 has the single set trigger. Workmanship on these guns is superb and the wait time isn't too bad.
    The Lyman 335gr Postel copy boolit shoots great from the 38-55 and if you want to hunt the Lee 250gr gets the job done.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Bob, I'm just curious about your .38-55. Is it chambered for the short or long brass?

Also, will a fireformed case slip fit that Lyman bullet snugly or do you have to size it?

I only ask because a few years ago I ordered a .38-55 highwall from C. Sharps and it was supposed to be unchambered. They accidentally chambered it, so we came to an agreement to have them set the barrel back a few turns so I could use my reamer. When I cast the chamber I was surprised to find that it was 0.400" at the case mouth!

Sorry about the long story, but I'm curious if your chamber is like that. I haven't got around to chambering mine yet. Too many other projects .

It is good to hear that yours shoots well.

Chris.

Boolit Master

Mine was chambered for the short case, I got it back in 04, not sure if that has changed. The fire formed case is a slip fit but not terribly tight and it likes that way of loading, but the boolits don't fall out if you turn it upside down. I tried sized cases as well as slight crimp but by far it likes the boolit set on the wad. I am shooting greasers. I crimp the 250gr for hunting for obvious reasons.
    To be honest I've never miked the case. When it work so easily I just quit looking for anything else.

Bob

Boolit Mold
    I will only be hunting with this rifle. Wild hogs and coyotes. 300 hundred yds at most. Any suggestions on a tang sight but can also use the regular sight on the rifle? Is this caliber hard to load for. I've reloaded alot in the last 45 yrs, but have never done any casting. Used someone else bullets. Thanks

If it's only going to be used as a hunting rifle, skip the set trigger, and just use the barrel sight's.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Bob.

Don, what about an MVA Combination tang sight?

Chris.

Chris I prefer the barrel sights on a hunting rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Chris I prefer the barrel sights on a hunting rifle.
    Give it time Don, your eyes will get worse and those tang sights will become more appealing. I can still get by at close range with barrel sights but I sure feel more comfortable with a tang sight. And even then I have set my limits much closer than they use to be.

Bob

I don't know Bob, being well past 60, having worn bifocals for several years now, and I still prefer on a hunting rifle the barrel sights.

Boolit Buddy
    I definitely agree with Don. I'm 74 and have been wearing bifocals for as long as I remember. Barrel sights are far and away the most effective hunting sight for me. You just have to learn how to use both the sights and your eyes correctly. FWIW, I consider an elk broadside at 400 yards to be a gimme with a 40 or 45 caliber Sharps and barrel sights.

Banned

i'm 72 and wearing tri-focals, and vastly prefer a tang/globe sight system over barrel sights. as we age, things just change, whether we like it or not and the best we can do is learn acceptance. like most things in life, uniqueness and subjectivity rules, and whatever seems to work best will just hafta be best.

Boolit Master

Whatever keeps you in the game. I went to a scope for silly wets when missing because of shooting at shadows and so forth ceased to be fun. I can still do round targets with aperture sights but sometimes it can be a struggle depending on light.
    There is a reason that the military went to aperture rear sights back on the 03A3 and has used them ever since. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, my hat is off to you if you can use them, just doesn't work for me anymore and a lot of old guys it seems.

Bob

Boolit Master
    I have a C.Sharps 75, great rifle with C.Sharps midrange sight and globe I think it works just fine for that range. Cal. is .40-65.

Banned

i think the '75 would make for an excellent hunting rifle ... however, the '74 would be better yet for match target work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast