Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder coat 1st attempt - PBFTBBTDTFT!

Boolit Mold
    When I saw the title of this thread, I had to chuckle. Attached you can see my first attempt with HF Red, DT, no BBs. The coating seemed fairly good, then I baked in a brand new oven while at work. I got busy and didn't watch the progress. I thought that y'all might get a kick out of the results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-05-15 20.38.57.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	220526

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
    When I saw the title of this thread, I had to chuckle. Attached you can see my first attempt with HF Red, DT, no BBs. The coating seemed fairly good, then I baked in a brand new oven while at work. I got busy and didn't watch the progress. I thought that y'all might get a kick out of the results.

Thanks for the laugh.

Hey, why does that look familiar?

Boolit Buddy
    with all the comments of starting out with no thermometer, I am really surprised we don't see more pic's like that

The only time I have achieved good coverage with HF powder was if I sprayed it on, and I'm not patient enough to do two coats. I too have smokes powder and got way, WAY better results. Way easier. Soldier on, you will figure it out ... that's half the fun for me.

Boolit Master
    Hah! That looks like some new chocolate party treat. If it weren't for the four recognizable boolits . . .

Boolit Buddy
    I would try PVC pipe #5 tubs with lids that fit each end of the section of pipe and packing peanuts. Clean (alcohol works for me) bullets in the tubs on each end. Plug one side of pipe with the first, add a handful or two of packing peanuts to the pipe, then plug the other end with another tub of bullets. Roll and shake lightly for less than a minute. Dump heavily coated bullets on a screen and pick up with nitrile gloves or whatever you prefer and place on your preferred surface to cook for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Yep, that's a HOT oven/too much time in it..
    For ME--read too many - for Harbor Freight paints-Powder by the Pound, and Smokes=90-95% all good..Bill.
    Outdoor Sportsman For Life

Happiness is a GREAT Sprue

Boolit Buddy
    the black BB are made out of Polypropylene #5, use a tub made out of it also. I use mostly eastwood and PPG powder. some work great , some not so much. I also have a eastwood dual PC gun that works great. You to play with different ways and types of stuff to find what you like

Boolit Master
    Wolftracker,

So the packing peanuts are in the pipe between the two tubs. They just generate the static charge which gets transferred to the ends where the tubs are.

That is fascinating.

I went to Wally World finally and forked out $15 for a large tub of black Air Soft BBs. On my way to the check-out I picked up some disposable No. 5 Ziploc rounded-bottom tubs. Went home and dumped the powder and multi-color BBs in the tash and started over with black BBs. The boolits covered fairly well and quickly (the sun has been shining for over 24 hours), however not quite as nice as in some photos here. I'm not sure if this is because the boolits are on their second coating and the powder just doesn't stick to an already cured powder coat.

Out of the oven they are not really impressive or pretty but at least they could be described as red. They passed the smash-test with flying colors so-to-speak. They went through the sizing die with aplomb.

I will have to see if they perform better than the VHT epoxy paint.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I've used HF red for several years (changed to better powder but it is cheap) My guess, damp powder or boolits that get clumps of powder which doesn't flow much when cooked. I started with one of those containers but have better results with a roundish bottom bowl.
    I've been using the same pound of HF red that I started with probably 5 years ago. No my bullets don't look a new car but they shoot great. The BBs made a difference for me. I started with .2g white then found some .25g black. The .2g were doing ok the .25g are better.

If anyone is not getting satisfactory results with HF red and .25g black BBs you are doing something wrong.

Motor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150822_000326.jpg   20150822_153146-1.jpg   20171223_133955.jpg  

Boolit Mold

Powder coat 1st attempt - PBFTBBTDTFT!

Here’s another method that might work for you with the HF powder. I used this on my first attempt and they turned out pretty good. Nothing like Marek313’s or Motor’s but, definitely shootable.

Preheat boolits for 4min. at 120°F
    Mix in container with powder
    Bake at 400°F for 20 min.
    Got this method from Elvis ammo on YouTube here’s the results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by malensekm; 05-18-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Banned
    Well since I have been using those silicone packets in my powder storage containers I haven't had a problem. But it might be coincidence. They are called Silica Gel Desiccant Bags or packets. I got mine on eBay from China for cheap money. I think you can get them at Walmart but far more expensive. It's very humid in Wisconsin so I put them in all forms of powder including gun powder. These are the type I got but they come in different sizes. I hope it's OK to post this link...it is to a search on eBay for these things:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...check&LH_BIN=1
    Last edited by Traffer; 05-17-2018 at 05:19 PM.

HF red is junk compared to the good stuff. It's more temperamental, more sensitive to aging (and I've seen bottles of HF Red that were over a year old) and more sensitive to humidity. However, if you live in a dry climate, it is nearly foolproof. In marginally humid areas, your prep and tumbling techniques are more important and in outright humid areas, you will get marginal but adequate coverage unless you waste your time with multiple coats.

1 pound of HF red, or Smoke's powder or anyone else's powder will last for many thousands of bullets so long as you use it properly at about 1/2 teaspoon per hundred bullets. So cost shouldn't be a driving factor.

In the right conditions or with the right technique HF Red works perfectly adequately.

Here's some in a Styrofoam prescription box with white BB's

Here's some in a 1 gallon ziplock bag with no BB's

Either way gave me good coverage

and very nice looking boolits

Even with splotchy coverage doing this outdoors in sprinkling conditions, the polymer coverage is good enough to give 100% coverage after sizing.

Boolit Buddy
    My first batches ever. Used HF red. Should have read the posts before tryinh it. I used a heaping tsp for about 60 bullets. The coating was a little heavy

Name:	20180518_080203.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	220630
    . Tried less the second batch and they came out nicely. I had a problem with sticking to the parchment paper. I will try the non stick foil or a different paper.

Boolit Man

Run 'em through the sizer, they'll be fine.
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    HF red is junk compared to the good stuff. It's more temperamental, more sensitive to aging (and I've seen bottles of HF Red that were over a year old) and more sensitive to humidity. However, if you live in a dry climate, it is nearly foolproof. In marginally humid areas, your prep and tumbling techniques are more important and in outright humid areas, you will get marginal but adequate coverage unless you waste your time with multiple coats.

1 pound of HF red, or Smoke's powder or anyone else's powder will last for many thousands of bullets so long as you use it properly at about 1/2 teaspoon per hundred bullets. So cost shouldn't be a driving factor.

In the right conditions or with the right technique HF Red works perfectly adequately.

Here's some in a Styrofoam prescription box with white BB's

Here's some in a 1 gallon ziplock bag with no BB's

Either way gave me good coverage

and very nice looking boolits

Even with splotchy coverage doing this outdoors in sprinkling conditions, the polymer coverage is good enough to give 100% coverage after sizing.

Very nice. Good point about the polymer coverage. Often HF red will "look" spotty too but if look close it's only a lack of pigment not a lack of polymer. Hmm. I never thought of using a styrofoam container. May have to try that some day.

Motor

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    Very nice. Good point about the polymer coverage. Often HF red will "look" spotty too but if look close it's only a lack of pigment not a lack of polymer. Hmm. I never thought of using a styrofoam container. May have to try that some day.

Motor
    It's the type that comes with cold packs for injection prescriptions. If the powder doesn't have an affinity towards the lead, I don't think the container is going to make much difference. In marginal conditions, the harder I shake whether it's #5 tubs, ziplock bags, cardboard boxes lined with packing tape or plastic flower pots (I've tried them all), the act of the powder making and breaking contact with the lead is what causes the static electricity.

I've been very successful this winter by putting my gallon Ziplock bags full of bullets, BB's and powder into a Harbor Freight 5# vibratory tumbler for 3 minutes. I tried up to 10 minutes with and without BB's and was discouraged with some of the outcomes. 10 minutes of just lead bullets and powder gave fantastic coverage, but the powder had turned dark which to me meant I just generated a bunch of lead dust with the bullets banging into each other. The bullets were baked but I got rid of the the bag and the remaining contents. With BB's, the bullets crash into each other less often and don't generate as much lead dust. So does limiting the vibe time.

Boolit Master
    i wouldn't know if black ASBB's work or not....i use a yellow electrostatic gun to spray mine with...works every time!

Boolit Master
    OK. This time a roundbottom ziplock tub with black ASBB, and a dry, sunny day. They took a coat nicely and came out a fairly even red from the oven.

So other than the baking step this appears to be about as easy as tumble lubing. OK you have to filter out the BBs and excess powder, then dump on a tray and put in the oven. Yep. If it consistently goes as well as my second powder-coat attempt I would say this is going to be the way to go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast