Thread: Need help identifying a boolit

Boolit Master

Need help identifying a boolit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A46114F0-313C-4855-9ED6-3A5DA0BE0728.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	220379

I was re-organizing my reloading stuff, and came across a couple hundred of these approximately 200 gr. boolits.

I don’t see this mold on the Lee Precision website. Can anyone here ID it?

Thanks
    Last edited by ghh3rd; 05-13-2018 at 10:05 PM.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Looks like a Lyman 452460. Good shooting bullet in the .45 ACP. May be wrong. H & G and RCBS among others made clones that looked almost the same./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    What do they mic at?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

I would go with Beagle on this one. Likes right to me. Mine mic right at .453 & change. Very good bullet.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    They are sized to .452
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    I had trouble shooting truncated Lee 230 gr boolits with my Walther PPQ. It was ejecting a live round now and then... I’d hear a thunk on the floor and sure enough there would be a live round on the floor. The Lee 230 RN works well in my gun, but I do want a 200 gr boolit. If this one works for me I guess I will be mold shopping again.

I’m excited to try these out. I just wish I knew where I got them. Thanks for the help.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Looks like a Lyman 452460. Good shooting bullet in the .45 ACP. May be wrong. H & G and RCBS among others made clones that looked almost the same./beagle
    I agree with the Lyman 452460 guess, as this boolet has the two lube grooves. I have the similar RCBS 45-201-SWC which has only one lube groove and shoots very well in my firearms.

Boolit Master
    I just confirmed that it is in fact a 452460 boolit. I did so by finding the mold in my gun safe, a four cavity mold. How could I forget that I spent $100 on a mold less than a year ago?!

Those boolits are left over from my attempt to use them in my Walther PPQ. I tried several OAL and crimps, and still had some that had to have assistance going into chamber... as well as some live rounds that were ejected along with a spent case. I am now determined to work on this boolit until I get it to work.

The one that I have been shooting in my gun is the Lee 230 RN... no issues and very accurate out of my Walther.

Thanks for chiming in and correctly pointing out that they are 452460's.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master

I use a lot of 200 gr. LSW in my 1911, good, accurate, reliable bullet. Some pistols just don't like SWC bullets. My 1911 loves them but my Ruger will only feed three or four out of a magazine full (7)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I keep an inventory of my mold collection. I check it before I order. I have caught myself ordering the same mold more than once.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    One on the bottom right in the pic looks like it belongs in the remelt pile. That one would sure screw up your accuracy testing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I use a lot of 200 gr. LSW in my 1911, good, accurate, reliable bullet. Some pistols just don't like SWC bullets. My 1911 loves them but my Ruger will only feed three or four out of a magazine full (7)...
    My 1917 loves these boolets and has never, ever had a problem feeding them. I always get all six to shoot just fine. Maybe you just need to get a newer gun. Those older 1911's just don't work like a much newer 1917 model.

Boolit Master

If you have trouble getting reliability from this 452460 in your 45 acp, I would suggest you try the H&G 68. The nose is just a touch longer and that may make for better reliability in the feed cycle. Mihec and Lee both make H&G 68 clones. The Lee is available in a 6C through Titan reloading at a great price. I'm willing to bet some of our members would make you some to try out.