Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: oversized bore on breakbarrel/PC?

Boolit Master

oversized bore on breakbarrel/PC?

got a Hatsan with an oversized bore, it's in .25. Slugs around .252-3" groove diameter. Pellets are
    .25 or smaller. I'm trying different things, but I'm wondering about PCing the pellets to get another .001" or .002"if I can't get this thing to group with pellets out of the can. It's non-returnable, I missed the warranty period. Also, there's nothing else wrong with it. any thoughts?
    I have a scope coming in, and I was gonna knock that big fiber optic front sight assembly off to eliminate that as a variable. The pellet has to pass through a couple inches of that plastic assembly after it leaves the muzzle, which also doesn't seem ideal.
    -BE

Know there's not a lot of variety in the 25 cal. pellets but I'd certainly try some different pellets.What kind of groups are you getting now?

I think the first thing I would try is just flaring the skirt a couple thousandths bigger.

My .22 hatsan's like tight ammo. Semi loose Crossman Premier Hollow points do not shoot near as well as a .22 buckshot pellet that has to be tapped into the breech. Those will shoot one ragged hole.

I do know there can be a big difference in pellets even from lot to lot.

I suspect a press could be set up to flare pellets so they are all the same. Might take a little fussing but I suspect the results would be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    got a Hatsan with an oversized bore, it's in .25. Slugs around .252-3" groove diameter. Pellets are
    .25 or smaller. I'm trying different things, but I'm wondering about PCing the pellets to get another .001" or .002"if I can't get this thing to group with pellets out of the can. It's non-returnable, I missed the warranty period. Also, there's nothing else wrong with it. any thoughts?
    I have a scope coming in, and I was gonna knock that big fiber optic front sight assembly off to eliminate that as a variable. The pellet has to pass through a couple inches of that plastic assembly after it leaves the muzzle, which also doesn't seem ideal.
    -BE
    I know that LW choked barrels are as large in diameter as you have stated some times . But choked down a .001- .002 at the muzzle . You might consider choking the barrel some . Marvin

Boolit Master

oversized bore on breakbarrel/PC?

I recall groups were OK initially with Hatsan 19.19 domed and crow magnum ammo. Never good enough to rely on for squirrel, though. Maybe 4” at 25 yards was the best I could get. Other times I can’t even keep it on a paper plate. I am slowly experimenting with different ammo. .25 pellets are not cheap.

I like the idea of flaring the skirts, I’m gonna try that for sure. I think the Lee universal expander may do the trick.

How would one go about choking a barrel?

-BE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    I recall groups were OK initially with Hatsan 19.19 domed and crow magnum ammo. Never good enough to rely on for squirrel, though. Maybe 4” at 25 yards was the best I could get. Other times I can’t even keep it on a paper plate. I am slowly experimenting with different ammo. .25 pellets are not cheap.

I like the idea of flaring the skirts, I’m gonna try that for sure. I think the Lee universal expander may do the trick.

How would one go about choking a barrel?

-BE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are several ways .Marvin https://airgunwarriors.com/airgun-ta...-at-homefirst/

I would also consider looking at the crown and even try to
    clean up the crown with a brass screw and JB bore paste .

Can you push a pellet through the bore and show a picture of it .

Boolit Master
    Perhaps a thick coating of some paint on dry lube?
    Never tried it but once saw some .357 boolits coated with a thick layer of Teflon. I think the maker used a skillet resurfacing kit.

I like the Hatsan's but I have yet to buy a .25 or .30 exactly because of the pellet cost.

If the skirt flaring does not do it I would be looking for a round ball mold 2 or 3 thousandths larger than the pellets. Cast them bigger and size them down if you have to.

When you find what that rifle wants its going to show you. Stick with it!

Boolit Master

I wonder if your rifle will shoot this little gem. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...o7rckm85cisib0
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all your suggestions! A center punch on the skirt helps with the narrow pellets.
    I scoped it and it’s shooting well now with the Hatsan Vortex 19.19, all I really need.
    They have a wider skirt out of the tin.