Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: "Old" Hercules 2400 and sks paratrooper

"Old" Hercules 2400 and sks paratrooper

Hi guys and gals.. Long time..no post. I scored an unopened can of Herc 2400, along with a half can, from an elderly gentleman who was selling all of his casting equipment at my local flee market, yesterday. The opened one had no unusual smell, and the guy said his stuff had been stored properly, the same as my stocks of older powder. I also grabbed a half can of Hercules Bullseye from him. My question is : Can I load my 7.62x39's to 16 grains using Hercules 2400 under the Lee 260 TL? I've read where 15 grains of Alliant 2400 is the recommended max, and the ones I loaded shot well but wouldn't cycle the action of my Paratrooper. I suspect the shorter gas tube changes things. I was hoping the slightly slower Hercules might do the trick if I could go to 16 grains... Any real world experience shared will be greatly appreciated. I bought the unopened can of 2400 , the half can of 2400, the half can of B.E. , a set of .223 dies and a bottle of LAA (still in the wrapper) for $30.
    Last edited by superior; 05-13-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Nice find!

When using unknown or older powder, always start at the minimum or download it 10%-15% at least to work up loads. @ 15gr was there any signs of overpressure from your ejected rounds? Doesn't matter if they worked the action or not...

I still have some old hercules myself that is still running strong. Had a couple ancient old massive cardboard 8lb barrels of red dot. Only seems a tiny bit weak compared to Alliant red dot. I'm up about 5% on both my shotgun and .45 loads on it compared to current data.
    YMMV, I've not used 2400 in my old SKS or the new Ruger ranch I've got yet.

Boolit Master
    You won’t likely get function of the action with #2400.
    It’s the amount of barrel you have beyond the gas port that is affecting the cycling.
    I used AA#1680, H4198, RL7, and H322 when I was loading for the 7.63x39.

Boolit Master
    up the charge 1 gr and try it mine just cycles with 14grs (misprint 260 gr boolit) you do mean 160 gr correct