Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best value casting furnace

Boolit Buddy

Best value casting furnace

I’m over the Lee 4-20 bottom pour I have and I’d like to get your opinion on a high value bottom pour casting pot. I don’t have a exact budget. I’m a buy once cry once kinda guy, so I’d like this pot to last me the rest of my life( I’m 28). What do you fine people recommend?

Cheers!

Andy

Boolit Master

Oh, to be 28 again! (heck, to be 70 again)

while it is no longer made my RCBS Pro-Melt with a DIY PID unit is all I'll ever need.

I know the Pro-Melt IIs have the PID built in but I would worry that's a lot of circuitry close to a great deal of heat.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I bought the original Pro-melt in the mid eighties and it's still running fine after tons of lead . It was expensive on a just over minimum wage job but it has proven it's worth many times over .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Banned
    My Lee 4 – 20 has done thousands of pounds of lead with a homemade PID and it still going strong, I can't justify" upgrading"

I like my pro-melt the best but I do have 20yrs. of use out of my Lyman Mag 20. I have a Lee pot but it's a Magnum melter not a bottom pour, it works ok if your a ladle caster but I don't use a ladle much. Gp

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have TWO Lee 20# bottom pours and am thinking abou buying a 3rd! Great piece of equipment. No need to ever upgrade mine, even with a PID controller. They have made and continue make perfect boolits by the thousands. No drips. No errors. But mabe that a little something to do with the operator???????????

Boolit Master
    I've honestly had good service from a couple of older Lymans, a Saeco, and 2 or 3 Lee pots. I like to keep a pot dedicated to a specific alloy, so when I find cheap casting pots at gunshows and the seller says they work, I usually pick them up. The Saeco is a few decades older than I am, and still going strong, I gave $10 for it, and it was full of linotype when I got it, so that's probably my 'best' value. They don't take up much shelf space.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastleo View Post
    I’m over the Lee 4-20 bottom pour I have and I’d like to get your opinion on a high value bottom pour casting pot. I don’t have a exact budget. I’m a buy once cry once kinda guy, so I’d like this pot to last me the rest of my life( I’m 28). What do you fine people recommend?

Cheers!

Andy
    If I was your age, I would invest in a 40# Magma with the optional PID.

Winelover

I'm with you fellers. The Lee pots are an outstanding value, and mine have shown no signs of approaching retirement age after many years of steady use.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I was starting again, I would get a Master Caster. The downside is that it uses Magma molds but that is resolved by taking the pot off and then any mold can be used. I bought one set up that way, (separate stand). As I can no longer do long casting sessions with hand held molds, the Master Caster is easier to use. With pistol bullets making up the bulk of my shooting, the Master Caster is a good choice. It will do 400/hr with a two cavity mold and down the road it can be automated.

For the few rifle bullets I may cast, I have a 40+ year old Lyman furnace and ladle cast. Plug your Lee and use it for that purpose if you do not want to remove the Master Caster pot.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    If I was your age, I would invest in a 40# Magma with the optional PID.

Winelover
    If money wasn't an issue, Winelover's suggestion is also the route I would take, I've often wished the Lee had more capacity...and no doubt the Magma will be quality built. But for the amount I shoot, the Lee 4-20 with aftermarket PID seems the most logical purchase.

Fastleo,
    I don't know what issues you are having with your Lee, but I can assume it's dripping??? if so, there are fixes for that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

The best "value" in a casting pot probably IS the Lee 4-20, IF you can put up with it's shortcomings. Evidently you like many of us decided there was a better way. The fellas that love their Lee pots that never drip and always work perfectly, good for you. I've owned 3 of them over time and kept waiting to get one like that. Never did. Yeah, probably operator error, casting pots are pretty complicated. Went with the Pro Melt, much, much, better. I've not seen the new RCBS or Lyman but have read good reviews on both although there aren't a lot on the RCBS as it is pretty new on the market plus it's less money than the old model Pro Melt. Either would be far better than the Lee pots. The Magma is probably the "king" but I don't like the fact of using just their molds and I don't cast enough to warrant the 40lb size.

Boolit Master
    The Lee 4 -20 is the best value.I mostly use a Lyman Mag25 and like it but if all I had was the Lee I would be satisfied.I doubt is any of the currently available pots would last 50 years of hard use.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    My Lee 4 – 20 has done thousands of pounds of lead with a homemade PID and it still going strong, I can't justify" upgrading"
    Totally agree!

Banned

ive got two rcbs pots and they worked flawlessly for about 10 years now. Had two lymans before I lost them in a fire. They were almost as good but I did have a coil burn out in one after about 5 years but to be honest back then I casted about every day. If it were my money id go rcbs.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all so much for your thoughts and suggestions, I’m going to look at the rcbs pot and the magma pot

Boolit Grand Master

I would do a Google search looking for a RCBS ProMelt. I expect you can still find one. The Magma looks good if one can afford it.

Boolit Master
    I wanted a pro melt so bad I could taste it , when I first started casting just a few years ago , but the cost + not really knowing how much I would use it held me back , so I picked up a lee 4/20 to start with . Then came the shortage and the discontinued model well finally cruising the used mkt didn't show much promise . I gave up on the new pro melt 2 after waiting for months and picked up another 4/20 . I looked at the magma pot with drool running out of my mouth but that's a hard pill to swallow . So I'm just going to use lee until they burn up , or in a couple years people are just as satisfied with the pro melt 2 as they were with the old pro melt . A member hear turned me on to preheating the ingot before adding it to the pot so when I really want to cast a lot of handgun boolits I can keep the pot full and flowing . Well the drip ?????????

Boolit Master
    As winelover and deverna suggested go with the Magma. Been using one for awhile and you can crank out the production especially using two or more molds even using two H&G's eight cavities at a time. If you are the cry once laugh forever type then go for it.

Boolit Master
    You are 28 and I am 70. What might be a good value to some may not be a good value for you. As far as I am concerned the absolute best value are the products I have purchased that did everything they were designed to do, did it well with little or no problems and continued to work flawlessly year after year. When you buy a product like that at your age, even if it is expensive at the time, it ends up being the cheapest because of the longevity of use. Take it from an old man, buy quality and you will never regret your purchase.

When it comes to a bullet casting furnace it is the RCBS Pro-Melt Furnace, I can't vouch for the new model, but would assume RCBS would do their usual and make it right if there were a problem.

When it comes to molds it is the H&G & old Saeco. I have molds that are still casting perfectly that are older than me.

Lubricators I quit using 6 years ago and have gone to powder coating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast