Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: casted ingots from lubed bullets i don't use first time

casted ingots from lubed bullets i don't use first time

I had about 100 30-30 165 grain Missouri bullets. I don't own the rifle anymore so I took my first shot at melting the lead. I used a Stainless skillet we dont use anymore and pored into an old muffin aluminum pan. Probably not the best thing to pour them in. I noticed the skillet has old lead in it now and some dark spots I am assuming was the lead and I guess it just won't come out. Tried with a torch but it won't melt any further. Did I do this right or should I have done something else to go with it. I didn't flux because I figured the lube was ok to do it. I didn't heat the skillet first but put them in and let the heat do it.
    Last edited by wendyj; 05-13-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    Looks fine , but you know you ruined your wife's pans right .

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    It worked for you. I've never used anything but cast iron to melt alloy in unless you consider what ever the liner in any of my electric bottom pour furnaces have in them.. I use a turkey fryer and a 6 qt. cast iron sauce pan for most, I have a 12" frying pan that I use for large pieces of alloy. I haunted the 2nd hand stores for the 2 pieces of cast iron, went with the cheap imported stuff from Taiwan; works really well.

I used a turkey fryer at low temps and an old Ss pan with handle but wood had come off of it. She didn’t use it anymore. Was I supposed to flux this or any steps I may have missed. Does that look like lube where the darker spots are in the ingots. I’m going to melt about 200 rim rock bullets that I don’t like either.

Boolit Grand Master

You did fine. BTW, your SS pan is now a dedicated "lead pan"...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

+1 Don't prepare food in them.

I know that. I just found a 6 inch and 10inch cast iron skillet which was ruined. I found a cast iron spoon full of holes and a cast cornbread shaped corn cob size we don’t juse. I just need a ladle to scoop out in the mold. I’m doing this for my wife since she is the one shooting cast out of her rifles. She ain’t afraid of guns and reloading but doesn’t like fire and lead. It’s her forum but I thought I would ask these questions.

Boolit Master
    I built a ladle out of a threaded cap and a piece of 1/2 in.key stock.

It is 2 in. and it makes the pouring of the 14-16 lb.mold much easier.
    I just ground the threads out of the cap and made a groove for the pour spout.
    It does get heavier but it don't take long.

Boolit Master
    There are rules in casting that must be adhered to . Rule # 1 You can't use your wife's kitchen things for casting , making lube or anything to do with your hobbies unless you are prepared to replace the items with new upgrades . There are many more rules but they will change and be added to as you proceed .

Lol. I am the wife. I had my husband ask a few questions since I've never done this but like shooting cast. He's ok and bought me a set of copper cookware last year. He's not getting my good cured cast cooking skillets. I'm a little afraid of the heat and lead. He watched a few you tube videos and said I'm going to melt those bullets into ingots. He doesn't have time much to reload since he works 10-12 hours a day and on call 24-7 so he showed me the basics and I find it very relaxing plus he has had me shooting for 30 years. Everything from plinking, hunting and long range precision. Don't see him much but we enjoy the same things when we get time. If we aren't shooting were on the back of a horse or in a river fly fishing.

Boolit Master

wendyj, I like your style!

Boolit Master
    Of course, 200 cast bullets isn't too many to put into your casting pot.....maybe not all at once, and any lube will make a good flux....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to the hobby! I've remelted many cast and lubed bullets, either culls that made it through the sizer of the leftovers after a large loading session. If they were from my alloy I just put them back into the smelting pot. If its some other alloy I add it to the next smelt. On your cast iron cookware, just be aware that some cast iron has a pretty high collectors value. It its something like Griswold its worth something to a collector and would be a shame to contaminate it with lead.

They were the old Chinese made skillets. Not very good. I seasoned for years and couldn't get them to take like my old Lodge does. I still have plenty. If my husband wants cornbread 3 times a week he will stay out of my good stuff. LOL