Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: 44 mag

Boolit Mold

Cool 44 mag

just got a 44 mag - the ole style 629 - 8 3/8" bbl, want to shoot the mags out of it and then some 44 spl, been reading a lot on powders and the h-110 and the 2400 seem like the most popular. then the primers ? - Mag load or regular primers ? i always stay in the low side to middle of all recipes that i reload - about 5 other rounds

any thoughts on this - all i like to do is put holes in paper consistently and then go back and reload for next time

thanks for any help

Boolit Buddy
    Go to the Alliant web site and check out the Unique loading data, nice medium loads there.
    H-110 and 2400 are for the heavier loadings and higher velocities. Use magnum primers with H-110, due note you will have a
    very impressive muzzle flash with H-110.

You haven't said what bullet you are going to use, RCBS and Lyman make great molds for a 240 grain Keith style
    bullet. Both will perform well when lubed with Alox/Beeswax mix.
    I always get the star on the muzzle of my SRH.

Boolit Master
    I use Carnauba Red on all of my cast boolits, and don't get any leading....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    18.5gr of 2400 in mag cases behind 240-250gr cast bullets has always been a good upper mid range load in several revolvers I have owned. I save the H110/296 loads for max loading. Std primers will work fine for 2400.

Banned
    I essentially have two loads for 44 Magnum; a full power magnum load and a "Skeeter" equivalent 44 Special load in a magnum case.

When maximum performance is desired in a magnum cartridge, particularly the .357 & 44 magnums, H110 is my powder of choice.
    H110 [ww296] will get the job done. No need to look further. Use a magnum primer with H110.

For the "Skeeter" equivalent load I use Unique in a 44 magnum casing and bump the charge weight up slightly from the 7.5 grs used in the Special case to 8.1 grs in the magnum case. I'm using a RCBS 250 SWC bullet and a large pistol primer, DONE!

Since both of my loads use magnum cases, I identify the magnum loads from the Skeeter loads by bullet type. I elected to use magnum cases for both loads for two reasons:
    1. I wanted to simplify my logistics and only maintain one type of 44 casing.
    2. Safety - the "Skeeter" load is slightly over SAAMI limits for 44 Special but way below max for 44 magnum. By using magnum casings I ensure they will only be fired in 44 mag. guns.

You could save a little powder by using 44 Special cases for the 44 Special loads but then you must maintain two types of casings (Special & Magnum) and sort them.
    OR, alternatively -
    You could maintain a supply of 44 Special casings for the bulk of your shooting and keep a small supply of magnum casings for the full power loads (which is my preferred method in the 38/357 mag situation).

BTW - The "Skeeter" 44 Special load will do about 95% of what a 44 is called upon to do. The full power magnum loads handle the last 5%.

Thumbs up

"For the "Skeeter" equivalent load I use Unique in a 44 magnum casing and bump the charge weight up slightly from the 7.5 grs used in the Special case to 8.1 grs in the magnum case. I'm using a RCBS 250 SWC bullet and a large pistol primer, DONE!" ....P & P

That's my preferred load & CB as well.

Moderator Emeritus

H110/W296 is great for max loads in 44mag, I don't download it. There are warnings out there, search for them and read them to decide for yourself.

You mention, "i always stay in the low side to middle of all recipes that i reload"
    If that's your plan with the 44, then I'd recommend a different powder, like HS6 or Unique.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

I have used 2400 in my 44 magnum loads for a very long time. Nothing against H110/296 (my 357 magnum choice). If your looking to stay in the low to middle range of this cartridge, let me suggest Clays for the specials. I'm currently loading 4.0 gr. of Clays in 44 mag cartridges under 240 lswc bullets and getting the best groups I've ever shot from my SBH. It's a very light recoiling load but very consistent so far. Everyone will have their fav components. Enjoy that 629, I used to own it's twin.
    Jeff

Banned
    Everyone will have their favorite loads but in keeping with the OP's comments, I think JonB in Glencoe is right on track:
    H110/ww296 should not be downloaded. It is a great powder for full power magnum loads but it gets squirrely if you reduce the charge weights too much. (I have personal experience of that).
    Magnum primers should also be used with H110.

Now, the OP also speaks about 44 Special and says: "all I like to do is put holes in paper consistently and then go back and reload for next time".
    In pursuit of punching holes in paper there is NO need to shoot full power magnum loads. For target loads, the powders mentioned by Jon B and jedomejd [Unique, HS6, Clays] will all be better choices than H110.
    Personally I think it's hard to beat the "Skeeter" load for an "all-around" 44 cartridge.

The OP can take a couple of different paths. He can use magnum casings for the magnum loads and maintain a separate supply of 44 Special casings for his reduced power loads. OR, he can use magnum casings for both his full power loads and reduced power loads and load accordingly.
    That's up to the OP.

Boolit Master
    A note on H110/296. These powders are one and the same. Hodgdon does not manufacture the H110 that they sell. It was purchased from Winchester and repackaged. Of course now both labels are owned by the same company so buy which ever is cheapest, they're both identical.

Blue Dot is an excellent medium range powder in .44 special, then as others mentioned, HS6 is probably the next best.