Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: RCBS LAM2 lube warmer

Boolit Buddy

RCBS LAM2 lube warmer

To make the lube warmer for my new RCBS LAM2, I ordered a 12v DC, 15Watt heating pad:

But the transfer of heat from the large aluminum surface to the LAM2 was not great. To aid in heat transfer (and since surfaces are not "really flat"), I am using this heat-sink thermal pad from a prior project (about 0.037" thick, which compresses well):

But even this was not fast enough for me, so I wanted to have pinch the heating pad between the LAM2 and the aluminum pad, but I don't want to crush and short the heating pad, so I measured the heating pad (about 0.060") and milled a pocket for 0.09" to allow for some compression to keep things in place:

Towards the back I cut 3 times (each shallower) to provide a more "gradual" transition and prevent the pad from being pinched/shorted:

Boolit Buddy
    Final sandwich:

And it now works much quicker and better. I took my tumble lube Ranch Dog 30 cal hunting bullet, and using Carnauba Blue bullet lube (lsstuff.com), I got really nice, even covering even on the shallow groves on bullets I had recently tumble lubed (2 coats):

I had recently done pan lubing, and I found it so time consuming, that I ordered the LAM2. Now, bullet lubing is so easy, and takes so little time it is no longer a chore

Will
    Last edited by wquiles; 05-13-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Nice work, but it's far easier to use a 150 watt cartridge heater costing about $5. No machining and only one hole to drill. Warm up time around 5 minutes. Here's an old thread. The last post has a link to pictures that work.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=306447

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Cool, thanks for the link. So far the $10 heating pad works well, but good to know about the cartridge heater option as well

Boolit Master

2 little things I've done with my LAM2 that helped me. The 1/4" drive socket adapter so I could use a ratchet instead of that goofy ball handle thing. And a wooden ball knob on the handle makes it more comfortable to use.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Mike. I have only lubed about 100x 30cal bullets, but I will certainly keep that in mind

Mods-wise, the only other thing is that I am making my own custom flat top punch (out of 12L14 steel) since (so far) all of my cast bullets have a flat point:

New one on the right side:

Next, I am enlarging a .458" sizing die to .460" (for my 45-70 rifle) and making a custom matching plunger for it. So far enlarged only 0.0005" - it is taking a while since it seems the die body is somewhat hardened

Will