PBcastcoInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Walther P-22?

Boolit Buddy

Walther P-22?

Does anyone know what kind of metal the slide is made of? Also, what is the quality compared to the Ruger SP-22?

The slide appears to be steel, further supported by the fact that there is a nickel plated version.

Mine appears to have a steel slide. It's a fun little plinker. Just be sure it comes with the "B" series magazines. The first mags were terrible.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 18Bravo View Post
    Mine appears to have a steel slide. It's a fun little plinker. Just be sure it comes with the "B" series magazines. The first mags were terrible.
    What is the difference between the magazines? I have 3 "A" series magazines and have not had any loading or feeding issues with multiple ammunition brands.

Boolit Master
    I have had my p22 for many years. Its a Davidson's special with both barrels. Its a fun gun for backyard plinking. Slide is metal. I have 6 mags for mine and all work perfect. It eats any ammo I put in it. Not really a fan of the longer barrel. If I want a longer barrel I will just grab the 22/45. The mag release grows on you and works well. If I had ruger pistols I would buy the ruger. If I had walther pistols I would buy the walther. I just happen to find a deal so I have a walther.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

my p22 is NOT steel. it is a lighter metal alloy.
    it does have steel insert pins at wear points though.

as above, it isn't picky about ammo although i fed it mini mags for the first 500 or so.
    od green frame and black slide.

no complaints so far but not at a high round count yet.
    it is the standard length barrel and wears a huntertown arms suppressor.

my father in law bought the ruger sr22 and it was fine too.
    i like the walther grip just a smidge better.
    Last edited by WebMonkey; 05-14-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    I just did the magnet test. Mine is steel all the way. Round count on mine is over 50,000. Not joking and I am on the light side by far.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
    What is the difference between the magazines? I have 3 "A" series magazines and have not had any loading or feeding issues with multiple ammunition brands.
    The original A series had a reputation for being finicky on what it would feed. It was enough of an issue that Walther came out with the B series. I don't remember all the specifics, but I believe that the feed lips were modified to correct the problem.

Boolit Buddy

How do I tell model A from B model P22

Mine is around 14 yrs old and not shot very much so I never had any issues. afish4570
    Last edited by afish4570; 05-14-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: wrong # of years owned

Boolit Master
    Getting out my gun again. Looking at the six mags I have. They say 36-A. YMMV but for me they work better then ruger mags. Yup I said it better then my mark 4 22/45 mags. In every way and why wouldnt they. They are made in Germany. Heck I do not think I have even ever cleaned one of the mags. Both guns are nice and I do not think you can go wrong with either. Put both in your hands and see what one feels better. Sniff sniff smells like rattlesnake for dinner.

Boolit Buddy

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    My first one had some type of alloy slide. It had run pretty much any ammo I threw at it. I had run between 15-27 K rounds through it, almost all suppressed before it failed. First failure was the hammer spring broke. S&W (was handling import for Walther) sent me the replacement part. Installed it, ran well for a bit and then the slide cracked, sent it in to S&W. They informed me that the frame had also cracked. They sent me (via FFL) a replacement.
    It has run pretty well.
    I don't know which generation mags I have, but they've worked very well.

The suppressor host duties have been replaced by a "Colt Gold Cup M1911 22" IIRC it's made by Walther.
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

Boolit Master
    GONRA thought these were ZINC (alloy) die castings? Checkit out...

Boolit Grand Master

It’s ZAMAK. A zinc alloy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

It’s not much different than the other cheap 22’s out there. Of the 3 “Tactical” 22’s, is look at the M&P 22. I’ve had and shot all 3 and the M&P22 was the best. It went down the road as trading fodder as I prefer my Mk series. I’d like to pick up another buck mark as well.

I still have a P22 and it’s fun so long as it’s not jamming all the time. I’ve tried everything and the minimags seem to work the best but still have a few jams from time to time. There is a P22 “bible” over on RFC if one needs to delve into the P22 a bit more
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 06-11-2018 at 07:14 PM.