RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: CVA Mountain hook breach?

Boolit Mold

CVA Mountain hook breach?

Did the early made in America, Mountain CVAs with 32" barrels, use a hooked breech?
    Who made their .50cal. barrels?
    Last edited by JohnB; 05-12-2018 at 03:53 PM. Reason: oops..... spelling

Boolit Grand Master

Mine does. Don't know who actually made it. I hear lots of different things.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    Did the early made in America, Mountain CVAs with 32" barrels, use a hooked breech?
    Who made their .50cal. barrels?
    Have not seen a lot of them but they all had hooked breech and two wedges - all the 28inch models with hooked breech had only one wedge - kentucky had 32"brl, two piece stock but tang screw and pinned forend, pennsylvania rifle was 42"brl, tang screw and pinned - CVA barrels were as good as you could get (whether Dikar, made in spain or whatever) - locks were cheap - but they worked - all I am talking about here were late 1980's manufactured - if you found a new in box CVA kit someplace the barrel now would be worth more than the guy paid for the kit originally
    An article in a shooting mag on the 54 CVA mountain rifle was what got me started in muzzlelooaders (I never owned one tho) a 50 cal pennsylvania was the best gun I ever owned and I sold it (ya cant fix stupid but ya can learn from it)

Boolit Master

Story was all the first guns had Bill Large barrels
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Banned
    No, the first ones, 77-78 had Douglas barrels. All are hooked.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    No, the first ones, 77-78 had Douglas barrels. All are hooked.
    mine are 87 vintage branded Made in Spain, Dikar, CVA - or some combination thereof - shot em against GM and Getz - other commercials - nothing lacking in the CVA barrels.
    I believe these were imported direct from Europe to Australia.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the first two CVA black powder muzzle loaders made. They were made by a San Diego are gunsmith and gun maker named Doug Knoell in 1971 or so when the CVA company was just starting. It is a Hawken design, 50 caliber with Pope style of rifling and on the barrel it says 0000099 for the serial number other one he made is 0000100. No mention of who the barrel maker was although Doug thought it might have been Douglas but he is getting old and the barrel says CVA Rifle Company .50 Caliber and the number and letters were done by hand. The lock and trigger were made by Lewis when he was alive and has a bunch of light engraving on the lock plate and all the screws. It has a hooked patent breech and two barrel wedges. There is a very fancy pewter nose cap which the production guns did not have. The stock is dark American walnut with straight grain and an oil finish. The two rifles were to test how the design of the Hawken would work and what could be included and/or left off the production guns.

I bought it and two other Hawken rifles from Doug several years ago (one a mountain rifle with 32 inch barrel, hooked breech) as he was selling most of his collection due to a battle with cancer and could no longer compete in matches. He sold most everything except for the Sharps 45-70 he made COMPLETLY in his garage machine shop and won state and national titles with (estimated value was 45 to 60K or something but his son is getting it.

The CVA Mountain Rifle kit I "built" in HS (circa 1980) had two wedges and was .50 cal (32"). Don't remember the maker because it didn't matter at the time. 75gr of 3F shot pretty well with then-new round ball sabot "patches".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    The CVA Mountain Rifle kit I "built" in HS (circa 1980) had two wedges and was .50 cal (32"). Don't remember the maker because it didn't matter at the time. 75gr of 3F shot pretty well with then-new round ball sabot "patches".
    What I remember of these was the "Mountain Rifle" in 45 and 50 cal then the "Big Bore Mountain Rifle" in 54 and 58 calibre - I think there was a little cosmetic difference in the look of the big bore versus standard ?? they were all 32 inch barrel and two wedges .

Banned
    the big bores did not come with a patch box. About the only real difference.