Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Beagling

Boolit Buddy

Beagling

Was just thinking, if I beagle a gas check design, will the gas check still fit the way it should?

Moderator Emeritus

Maybe.

I had a lyman 266469 two cav mold that I beagled for a 257x6.5 Jap rifle with a .2685 groove dia barrel. The boolit dropped from the mold as an oval (.267 x .270) and I was able to seat a Lyman GC as well as a aftermarket alum GC (I forget the source?) and size to .269 ...A Gator wouldn't fit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Jon B. I'm going to try the Lee 150 gr. 30 caliber. Wanting to size to .311 for my micro groove 30-30. Box says .309, so I'll most surely have to beagle it. 'Course I'm going to be doing low velocity loads (planning on trail boss), so maybe I wont need the check, but I was gonna use it anyway, just to be safe.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a lee 457 mold that drops at 457 and I need 459. I used pc to bump up the dia with 1 coat. Shoots great and also eliminated a problem with lube.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by holsterguy View Post
    Thanks, Jon B. I'm going to try the Lee 150 gr. 30 caliber. Wanting to size to .311 for my micro groove 30-30. Box says .309, so I'll most surely have to beagle it. 'Course I'm going to be doing low velocity loads (planning on trail boss), so maybe I wont need the check, but I was gonna use it anyway, just to be safe.
    I had a Lee 170 gr 30 cal. mould that dropped .309", too small for my microgroove Marlin. I beagled it, which brought the OD up to .311" BUT then the nose was too large to chamner in my rifle!! It's easy enough to remove the tape and clean up the mould afterward, but it didn't solve my problem. Hope you make out better than I did!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    I hope so,too!! I really want to shoot cast out of this rifle. What did you end up doing?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by holsterguy View Post
    Be sure to try casting with that Lee mold first. You may be surprised at what size they drop.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...sed&highlight=
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

A I agree with JonB, cast some and check them first.

B I beagled a Lee .312 185 gr gas check 2 cavity. Checks went on hard. But I learned to use a small rubber mallet, line the bullet up on the check and give it a tap. It would be straight as long as I held it straight. And it would stay in place until sized. Once sized those were locked on. No wiggle, no nothing. They were ON.

C If I'd really been on the ball I'd of figured out a way to cut the gas check shank portion off and still drive it. Maybe the nose too. The grinding/polishing compound will migrate and complicate matters. Even if I had just used some sandpaper and removed a few thousands from the gas check area. I think it would have helped. Clean the mold often to help prevent migrating.

D Worst case scenario be prepared to use a small rubber mallet to seat bullets on checks then size.

Boolit Master

I've found over time that if you remove the tape in the vicinity of the GC shank and just a tad in front that the GC dimensions don't change that much. Of course, it depends on the bullet design you're attempting to "beagle" and how much increase you're shooting for in diameter./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

NOE makes a tool for deburring gas check shanks and I've used mine to cut a slight bevel on the shanks of 'beagled' boolits then installing the GCs using my Lyman 450 with seater tool installed. No problem with alignment or seating depth.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"