Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Blessed !

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Blessed !

Yesterday three of my cousins off dad's side from Duncan Oklahoma showed up at the shop to surprise me and take me to eat . My dad didn't have me till he was 51 years old so all my cousins were older than me . I had a birthday last month and this was a belated birthday visit . They also gave me a reproduction painting of Knott's Grocery in Duncan that we all knew and bought a lot of penny candy at when we had a penny as kids .

We went and ate then came back to the shop sat in the waiting room at the shop for two hours talking and laughing about the 'old days' . We only see each other about once a year so it was a good time . It was a blessing !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Good for you Charlie!

Waiting for my little brother to show up this morning for a visit.
    Mom's memorial later today, so I'll be seeing most of them later.

Love em while they are here, tell them so.
    All we can do is miss them when they are gone, wish we had said more.

Boolit Master

That's a great story Charlie. My wife just got back from a trip to Idaho where her folks live. Her two brothers and sister were all there with the folks. First time they were all together in 40 years. A true blessing indeed
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

Truly a blessing to have family and friends to laugh with.

Heartwarming, it's always good to touch base with family. A blessing indeed.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Charlie my family is all gone. You are blessed to have some and for them to come for a visit.
    Lass time I had my adopted family surprise me was your visit.

Moderator Emeritus

When Tom T. Hall wrote that old song, "Watermellon Wine," that's one of the great pleasures he left out. Old friends who happen to be kinfolk, and the homies we grew up with, area always a special treat. Had our 50th year class reunion last year, and it was amazing how little most of us had changed, other than being fatter, saggier, etc. - the usual. But personalities just don't change much over a lifetime, unless some catastrophe hits and makes a person refigure everything from A to Z. We're gonna' have another one this summer, just for drill, an' cause it's so darned enjoyable to get together and talk .... and talk and talk and talk.

Two of my cousins have continued the "Pickin' Parties" their Mom and Dad started well over 20 years ago. They just invite folks, including some Nashville bluegrass recording artists, and everyone just gathers around the pickin' shed where they set the stage up, and all day and most of the night long, somebody's playing and joking around and everybody is havin' a grand old time. I don't believe there's ever been a fight break out, despite the presence of alcohol and a few who imbibe too much. It's just like turnin' back th' clock 50 or 60 years or more. What a great time it is!

Family stories ..happy , crazy , sad and funny . Not seeing one another makes getting together a special thing . The reason I put it in the Chapel is why the title ..Blessed ! Southern Okies and a North Texas redneck unencumbered and unrestrained talking in our native dialect that young folks can only stare in wonder at what the heck we are saying .. They can't understand old folks talking together but we understand them ...I guess we are bilingual and they are not ?

Mr. Knotts and his wife were old when I was a kid . They had a little run down neighborhood grocery on Walnut street in Duncan Oklahoma . My Grandma lived on the next corner north at Walnut and Ash . My aunt Babe lived down the street from Grandma on Ash . I stayed with Aunt Babe a lot in the summers when I was a kid ...till when I was twelve I 'ran away' from her house , lol..I took my 410 shotgun and fishing pole with me .
    Me and my cousins would pool our money and go to Mr. Knotts store and buy an RC Cola , pour a pack of peanuts in it and sit on the steps of the store watching people and cars while we passed the RC cola around . We didn't have much but it didn't take much to make us happy .
    Mr. Knotts store exactly as I remember it , that's Mr. Knotts sitting on the steps in his overalls.

Boolit Master

I'll never forget when the price of a coke ( or cold drink as we called anything sweet in a bottle ) went from 5 cents to 7 cents - that extra 2 cents as a deposit for the bottle. We were p. o.' ed until we figured out we could walk the ditches and find enough bottles to go back and get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    I'll never forget when the price of a coke ( or cold drink as we called anything sweet in a bottle ) went from 5 cents to 7 cents - that extra 2 cents as a deposit for the bottle. We were p. o.' ed until we figured out we could walk the ditches and find enough bottles to go back and get another one.
    Yep ! Every once in a while you would find a glass quart milk bottle , they paid you a nickel for those but were a rare find .. Which would buy a Hershey bar , Butterfinger , Three Musketeers , big pack of peanuts .....................

In my country if you wanted anything made with chocolate in the summer you had to go to the butcher department where they kept chocolate in the ice filled cases with the meat . No stores had air conditioning .
    Last edited by Boaz; 05-12-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Boolit Master

I'd turn it back to 1958 or 59 and hit the pause button if i could

I remember distinctly telling one of my boyhood friends that I thought 1958 was a lot better year than 1959; not sure why I thought that. I was seven at the time.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    Charlie my family is all gone. You are blessed to have some and for them to come for a visit.
    Lass time I had my adopted family surprise me was your visit.
    LOL , you never know when you might see a vehicle in your parking lot with Texas plates Jim .

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Just come to spend some time have plenty of space and spare bathroom . You are family.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    Just come to spend some time have plenty of space and spare bathroom . You are family.
    Thank you sir ! I get a few things out of the way you most likely will see me .

Moderator Emeritus

Charlie, family is great and when they come by it makes the visit that more memorable.....you are a great man and I consider it an honor to know ya brother! Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    Charlie, family is great and when they come by it makes the visit that more memorable.....you are a great man and I consider it an honor to know ya brother! Paul
    Your visits my way were timely Paul , you have been a blessing . He has worked through you more than you know . I thank you brother .
    Last edited by Boaz; 05-15-2018 at 08:46 PM.