Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman 358430 200 Grain RN in 357 Magnum

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 358430 200 Grain RN in 357 Magnum

I bought this mold 4 years ago. I had read with interest comments about this bullet, especially its accuracy in 38 special and .357 magnum. Well, after 4 years of shooting this bullet I find it to be very accurate in all of my guns -- snubbies and Blackhawk. While the bullet prints high in the fixed sight snubbies, it is very pleasant to shoot. Although it takes a bit more lead, you can get good results with economical charges of Unique, Red Dot, Green Dot. I have even used Blue Dot (5.3 grains for a +P load) with some success in 38 special.

Today, I headed to the range with the NM Blackhawk. Since I have a few pounds of Blue Dot, I decided to try a couple of loads from from Lee Second Edition: 7.5 grain Blue Dot and 8.2 grain Blue Dot, which is a max load. Published data says the first load gets a little over 1100 Fps and the second one gets 1225. I don't know since I do not have a chrony. I do know this, however, both loads were laser accurate and real pleasant to shoot. The NMBH sights are regulated for my Lyman 358432, but once you make adjustments for elevation, you can bounce golf balls and cans all over the range with little effort. I am tickled. I am going to have to set the sights on the NMBH for the 358430 and get me Vaquero for the 358432. While I have several molds for 38 special and .357 magnum, I have pretty much settled on the 358430 and 358432 as the best shooters in my guns. YMMV.

Boolit Buddy
    1200+ FPS out of what barrel length? That sounds pretty hot for Blue Dot, which I consider an upper middle of the road powder for .357 compared to H110 and 2400.