Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Mountain Molds salvaged from fire

Banner Sponsor

Mountain Molds salvaged from fire

I've got a few molds that were in my shop fire 3 years ago that have been soaking in a bucket of diesel. I've dug a few out and cleaned them up as much as I can. I have one from Mountain Molds that is a 452 double cavity that casts a plain based 340gn with 70% meplat and the second cavity casts a gas checked 350gn 90% meplat.
    These used to shoot rather good in my Taurus Raging Bull 454. I cast a few and it looks like the alignment pins aren't keeping the mold halves lined up on center. The cast bullets are oblong at about .464".
    I've tried moving the pins out further until it will just close, but it still doesn't line up.
    I'd like to save the mold if I can. Any thoughts?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm454-01.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	220274

Name:	mm454-02.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	220275

Name:	mm454-03.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	220276

Name:	mm454-04.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	220277
    Last edited by lar45; 05-12-2018 at 01:49 AM.

Boolit Master

It looks like it is closing tight. Same on both top and bottom? How does it look from both sides? If it closes tight all around, it is likely the blocks were warped in the fire. Might be able to pull the pins and lap the faces lightly. Might result in a bullet that is slightly out-of-round, but likely be OK after a pass through the sizing die.

I'm not sure what the .364 dimension is describing. Can you provide a description or sketch? What did it measure before the fire?

Boolit Master

Just a wild --- guess, but it might line up if you rotated the pins a 180*. I hope it's that easy to fix!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    I tried to save a 429421 4c but fire oxidized the inside surface of the cavities. Only one piece has flaked off but it wouldn't stand up to casting. Never found the aluminum or brass ones. LOL If you are looking for precision a new mold might be easier. Heat warps and can cause the top layer to flake off.

Been there, I feel your pain.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banner Sponsor

With the mold not lining up the measurement across the parting line is .464" instead of .454" . Sorry, wrote 364 instead of 464.
    I'll try rotating the alignment pins.
    I had somewhere around 110 molds with lots of the group buys from over the years. The fire was hot enough to melt bronze, sothe aluminum molds were mostly toasted. On a few of them the only thing left was the handles.
    Last edited by lar45; 05-12-2018 at 02:02 AM.

Boolit Master

Send it back for warrenty work, LOL. In reallity, only one side might be warped. A surface plate and some prussion blue will tell the tale. I'de inspect the handles/ swap out to see if maybe the handles took the hit. This might be correctable on a surface grinder.

Lar45 this is just my 2 cents worth of info for you if the fire got hot enough to melt brass and aul. your steel molds have lost there temper and once that happens they are trash unless you can temper them again and that is dicey at best I could be wrong but when the cavity is cut the steel is already tempered it is something that you might want to check on I wish you the best on this one D Crockett

Banner Sponsor

This one is a brass mold with Aluminum sprue plate.
    I tried rotating the alignment pins, but there was no change.
    I can't get the screws out to try swapping handles. I even tried preheating the mold on a hotplate, but all I managed to do was strip out the allen head socket and then nearly twist off the head of a torx bit that was hammered in place.
    So I guess it's time to look for a replacement.

Boolit Buddy
    I know you had mold soaking in diesel but have you tried Kroil on those screws ? Or 50/50 atf and acetone. either one of these will get alot of stuck threads loose. But most likely the brass galled on the threads. Sorry about your misfortune

Boolit Master
    Send it back to Dan and see if he can fix it.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.