MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Pondering about which scope???

Boolit Man

Pondering about which scope???

Picked up an old custom .257 Roberts last weekend... 24" barrel, Timney trigger, JC Higgins stock and cost me $300. Rifle is in nice shape...had bluing wear from where the barrel contacted the gun cabinet/safe. All in all, looks like a nice, honest hunting rifle. Came with Leupold STD base and rings and now I am looking for a scope....
    I have a B&L Elite 4200, 2.5-10X that is sitting on an underused Handi-rifle in .223 that I could throw on it. Or, should I look for more of a "period" piece of glass like an old Redfield, Weaver, Lyman, etc.? Looking for suggestions and experiences. Only "old" scopes I have are a pair of Japanese Tasco scopes that I have on some Contender barrels...and the glass is better than my M8.

Jim

Boolit Master

I'd just run with the 4200. I have B&L Elites in 3000 and a 4500 in 3-9 and 2-8 and they both work great.

Period scopes are for collectors, not shooters... so maybe it depends on whether you plan to use it!
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post

Period scopes are for collectors, not shooters... so maybe it depends on whether you plan to use it!
    ....good call.

Jim

Banned

put modern optics on it if your going to hunt with it. Its just not worth taking the chance that some old scope looses its seal or fails in any way. Add to that that optical glass and coatings have come along ways since the 60s and 70s. Your Elite is probably a better scope opticaly and mechanicaly then even an old high dollar german brand was back then.

Banned
    Agreed, if you intend to use it and not just admire it, put a new scope on it.

I'm a fan of less magnification as opposed to more. If you want a variable power scope on a hunting rifle, I would recommend something that tops out at no more than 7 power and 6 power is plenty.

Optics is one of those fields where you really do get what you pay for. You don't have to spend $3000 to get a scope that is "good enough" but you cannot get a good scope for $20. Leupold is still the leader in high quality scopes that are affordable. There are other options out there.
    The only way for a manufacturer to produce a cheap scope is to reduce quality. There is just no way to make quality optics cheaply. Everything involved with optics is a compromise; light transmission, weight, field of view, magnification, eye relief, durability, cost, etc., are all linked and cannot be separated out of the equation.

I'll end with this possibility; Don't forget fixed power scopes. They are simpler than variable power scopes. They are generally lighter and more compact than variable power scopes of the same maximum magnification and they are very functional.
    A fixed 4 or 6 power scope can get the job done nicely.

Boolit Master
    Put modern glass on it. 'Period Correct' scopes are for collectors or people who like to sit inside fondling their rifles. Get the best glass you can afford and hope it holds up. The 257 should not beat up a scope too badly. I consider the Leopold V3i 1.75-6x32 close enough to 'Period' appearance and enough for all big game hunting - antelope and bigger. A 2.5-4 low to 10-16 high end would work well on a 257, but get the best you can. I have a couple old EL paso Weaver's, 2.5x, 3x, 4x, 6x and 12x - the clarity and brightness is nowhere near my modern Leupold VX2 or VX3i, Nikon Monarch 3 or Burris Fullfield II scopes.

Boolit Master
    I have a nice weaver 6x that I really like. It is an older one with the steel tube. It is on a rifle that deosn't see a lot of use, buit is still pretty good. They turn up on ebay for around $75, but you have to look for them.

I like the old steel Weaver scopes, and have several of the K2.5 models.

Boolit Bub
    I think one of the best deals around are used Leupold scopes. I favor fixed power 4X and 6X for hunting and 12X and 24X for target. Their warranty is the best around and their still in business. This is not to knock B&L products. Sometimes a deal can be found in a shop or gun show. Can't beat a .257 for any practical use. New optics are getting out of sight cost wise.