MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W model 34 and 13

S&W model 34 and 13

I found a couple of S&W revolvers at different gun shops today. Both are in excellent condition. Sorry, no pictures as yet.
    One is a model 13-2 round butt with a 4 inch barrel. The other is a model 34 with a 4 inch barrel in 22LR.

The model 13 is going to come home in a few days. I got what I feel is an excellent deal. $350.

The model 34 is going to take some negotiating. I didn't have my trade goods with me when I found it so I will have to go back.

I have been looking for a kit gun for some time now. Finding two candidates in the same day is remarkable.

Anyone have any notion what the model 34 might be worth?

Boolit Grand Master

In this area 34's start at $750 and really nice ones go for almost double that.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    In this area 34's start at $750 and really nice ones go for almost double that.
    Same here on those prices. Was happy to pick up a 17-2 that left the factory in 1966 in about 99% condition. Paid $800 for it. One of those bucket list guns that are not made anymore.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You got a great deal on the 13-2, even if it needs a little TLC from heavy duty use. They are great guns, easy to work on and parts readily available. They go around here for $450-600 depending upon condition.

The Model 34 Kit Guns go sky high.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I should have stated that I saw another model 34 a few days ago on consignment at another store. It was in only slightly better condition than the one I am looking at. It was listed at $2150.
    The one I am considering is listed for $650. Sounds like I need to get back to the store as they open tomorrow.

The model 13 I am getting is in very good shape. No holster wear that I noticed. Cylinder ring is barely visible. Only thing missing is the grips were changed for Pachmayr grips which I would do anyway.

Banned
    That model 13 is a nice gun. Basically a model 19 with fixed sights or if you want to look at it another way, a model 65 but made with carbon steel and a blued finish.
    One of the few good decisions ever made by the FBI was to adopt the 3", RB, model 13.

If you want something that is both practical and "old school cool", set it up with the factory grip panels and a Tyler T-grip adaptor. Or, find some smooth S&W combat grips.
    The round butt configuration was often preferred by people that carried the gun concealed. If you prefer the square butt configuration there are grips that fit the round butt frame profile but have the external style of square butt grips. Your dash 2 model 13 was made between 1977 -1981.

The last time I saw a model 34 that was both affordable and in good shape, President Bush was in office - H.W. Bush.

Banned
    And just for a little history, one of the early adopters of the Model 13 was the New York State Police. The original ones were actually marked as model 10 but manufactured by S&W as magnum K-frames. The bulk of those early model 13's (marked as model 10's) were delivered to the New York State Police via a single distributor. When I first heard about the magnum model 10's, I was a bit skeptical. After some research, including a conversation with a friend who was a S&W factory trained armorer from that era, I learned a bit.

Back in the revolver era, a lot of law enforcement agencies preferred fixed sights. Many agencies that purchased guns for their officers would specify fixed sights. Agencies that allowed (or required ) their officers to buy their own guns, were more likely to allow adjustable sights. It wasn't a hard rule and you would see some agencies that issued adjustable sights (LAPD was one of the larger ones) but overall guns with fixed sights were more common in duty holsters than adjustable sighted models.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    When I was a kid in 1980's Kentucky, S&W .357's with adjustable sights and coke bottle grips were de rigeur in police holsters. One old Lexington PD copper told me that .38 Special ammo was still issued though.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Any decent K frame Smith for $350 is a screaming deal IMHO.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Any decent K frame Smith for $350 is a screaming deal IMHO.
    A few years ago I would hesitate at spending $300+ for a used K-frame. Today if I saw a lightly used K-frame in excellent condition for $350, I wouldn't think twice about laying my money down.

Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1808.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	247908

On the left, A 2.75" barrel Ruger Speed-Six with a Tyler T-grip Adaptor
    and
    On the right, A 3" barrel, S&W model 65, round butt with the S&W combat grips.

A 4" Model 13 RB would be an excellent addition to any revolver dude's collection.

P&P-- Very nice. I would have preferred stainless except that, for some reason, my eyes do not work well with the shiny sighting surfaces. Got to have black.
    I know, I could color them but that never seems to work well for me.

I noticed something a bit unusual about the 34 when I went to deal on it today. The revolver is a round butt, however, it has a set of grips from the factory that turn it into a square butt.
    I have never seen that on any of the older round butt guns.
    They have a very nice feel to them.
    In any case, I got the deal done and will pick up both revolvers on Monday assuming the permissions come through okay.
    I will post some pictures then.

Boolit Master
    I bought a used blue 34 with a 2'' barrel back in the 80's, It's nice but not perfect. Just for fun I looked them up on Gun Broker. It's hard to believe what the starting bid is on some of them. I haven't to a lot of shops or shows lately so I guess I am behind the curve.

Banned
    Taz, we'll be waiting on the pictures but I think you may have just drawn into a full house of Kings & Queens.

I made it home with the revolvers today and here are the pictures

Name:	resized2600001.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	248103
    The mod 13 has slight holster wear on the barrel and cylinder. The model 34 has no wear.
    It is actually a 34-1. Serial is M30xxx. I don't have the resources to find out when it was made.
    The grips seem to be unusual in that the shape is more like a square butt than you find on a standard round butt j-frame.

Name:	resized26100001.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	248104
    In the next couple of days, I hope to get a chance to shoot them and see just how good they are. I have high hopes for them.

Banned
    You hit a home run Taz !

Those are some nice DA Smith's.

Boolit Master

The model 34-1 began the M prefix in 1969.
    With serial number M30xxx your gun could have been made late 1970 or early 1971.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

That's not a round butt m34. Those are J frame Target Grips that will fit sq or rd butts. Grips in that shape will bring $100. Gun was likely shipped with Magna style grips and owner bought Targets for upgrade.

Very nice pair of pistols and good deal on m13. The m34 and the other models of 22rf on J frame are bringing premium prices. A high condition gun is hard to find at less than $600. M17s & M18s aren't cheap either. All the older S&Ws are creeping up in price. The fixed sight service models too.

I thank you guys for the information.
    I have little to no experience with the small frame S&W revolvers. It just seemed like too good a deal to pass up.

I took both revolvers to the range today and gave them a workout.
    The model 13 performed exactly like you would expect a S&W K frame to perform. !58 grain boolits shot to point of aim and good groups.
    The model 34 was a little bit of a surprise. I wasn't expecting a lot due to the gun being small but I was wrong about that.
    It shot outstanding. I ran 4 different types of ammo through it and it shot great with all of them.
    Here is a target I shot from a rest at 15 yards with Federal Auto Match. There are 24 rounds in that group.
    I have a pair of keepers here.

Name:	resized26200001.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	248142

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast