Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-30 Flat Nose mold choice?

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I have one and really like it , But I have only used it in my trusty 30-30 Winchester . I kept a eye out for a ideal Lyman for a year or so but most of what I saw were in ruff shape or rather pricey so for a shore- thing I went to NOE . If you want to try some I'd be glad to send you some .
    Thanks toallmy. PM sent.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 05-14-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Like many, I'm especially fond of the Lee C309-170-FN.
    Tatume, if the Lee mold dropped to spec size (0.309), the bullets would be useless in my rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    I own a Marlin 336 built in 1948 and the Lee C309-150-F is it's favorite. If bullet is to be used for hunting anything larger than small deer you might be better served with more weight. Be careful in looking over the specs before you buy. A lot of the heavier bullets have a nose that is too long to feed in the lever actions when seated to the crimp groove. Gp
    Thank you for that reminder, gpidaho.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    The NOE 30 caliber bullets are on sale right now, so this is a good time to get one.
    Thanks ELkins. The sale is what prompted ths thread. I should look into the RanchDog designs before buying. I've read some about them and come away confused as to which version would be best suited for my needs.

Boolit Master
    Got your message , I'm sorta confused with the ranch dog molds also , I see the tumble and standard lube grove , but they come in different weight also .

Banned
    I usually shoot the Lee 150-RF in my 336. I have to "Beagle" it to get it to size and gas check at .311" but it shoots very well.

I have recently purchased an Arsenal mold:

http://arsenalmolds.com/bullet-molds...it=99999999999

It drops large enough to gas check and size to .311".

I have only had it long enough for one range trip but 25 gr of IMR3031 had me hitting clay pigeons at 75 yards with ease.

My rifle is a 1952 Marlin 336 with a Skinner peep sight.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    I've had a Ranch Dog mold for years. Sized, lubed and with a gas check it weighs 170 grains or so. I mostly use it for Fire forming my 30-06 A.I. with light loads of Red Dot, but Have used it and loaded it for a late hunting buddy of mine for his 30/30, and it works like a dream! My youngest son has used it with my NEF single shot 30/30 and did really well with it, too. I'm in the process of loading up some 30/30 rounds now, I just got the dies set up for my press and am deciding on a powder to use. I probably won't hunt with the rifle, but just getting out and shooting accurate rounds that I put together has a benefit....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    I usually shoot the Lee 150-RF in my 336. I have to "Beagle" it to get it to size and gas check at .311" but it shoots very well.

I have recently purchased an Arsenal mold:

http://arsenalmolds.com/bullet-molds...it=99999999999

It drops large enough to gas check and size to .311".

I have only had it long enough for one range trip but 25 gr of IMR3031 had me hitting clay pigeons at 75 yards with ease.

My rifle is a 1952 Marlin 336 with a Skinner peep sight.

Steve in N CA
    25 grs of 3031 and the Lee 150f sized .309 will put 3 shots in an inch and a quarter consistently from my 30-30 bolt action.
    A great combo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I guess I will give the ranch dog a try , I ordered one yesterday a 165 gr plan base with lube groves .

Boolit Grand Master
    I can't seem to get the .311 size with any alloy. Larry Gibson recommended Lyman #2. I make about .3105 with it. For my rifle, i'd really like to try a .31141 that ois .311. Other factor is the limitations of the rifle and the shooters vision.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    I can't seem to get the .311 size with any alloy. Larry Gibson recommended Lyman #2. I make about .3105 with it. For my rifle, i'd really like to try a .31141 that ois .311. Other factor is the limitations of the rifle and the shooters vision.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12