Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: BP bullet shapes

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Better yet, just get a Saeco 645 mould and go.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUCE MOULDS View Post
    joe,
    my assumption is that it would be stable.
    assuming it is an 18" twist,
    it will be a little more stable than necessary, which means that it will have a little more yaw of repose in flight.
    with the proviso that dynamic stability cannot be calculated like gyroscopic stability.
    if you can do it in a lathe, it might pay to shorten some that way for firing tests prior to spending money.
    keep safe,
    bruce.
    Bruce
    gotcha - thanks - yes its 18 twist - yes can do in the lathe . That boolit is 550grain and I didnt want to go that heavy in my 76. CBE make decent molds and can get that one reasonable price - still nutting this stuff out. lots of good info coming forward here and my thanks to all for that
    Joe

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Better yet, just get a Saeco 645 mould and go.
    Don
    Thanks ---- was looking at the Saeco 745 - they both look ok to me - litle more lube than some of the others maybe? - searched around some and both these out of stock where I looked.
    Changed my range around today so got a bit more opportunity to test stuff - still playing with that LEE and it seems like wind is the issue.
    cheers and thanks
    Joe

Banned

i started using a led sled for 200yd load testing, and i believe it's helped. wind, if present, is the only real bugaboo.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    That 645 bullet carries plenty of lube, and it shoots well to 1000 yards from 45-70's. If I were to limit to one greaser in the 2.1 case that 645 would be my choice.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    That 645 bullet carries plenty of lube, and it shoots well to 1000 yards from 45-70's. If I were to limit to one greaser in the 2.1 case that 645 would be my choice.
    Don
    Shot again today - I guess we might call it dis proving the 500grain LEE !
    I have two versions of that mold they a little different shape at the nose - thought that might make some difference - the wide base band old version is what I have shot most and it has seemed ok - there was a bit of wind today - I already had my elevation setting so I let one go - got a hit - shot four more - went to investigate (this is 500yards and my scope is just not that good) anyhow the group is dead on for elevation but far right of the target - its ten inches high by seven inches wide, two are keyholed bad a third is definitely wobbly and a fourth the hole is not quite round - so we obviously have serious instability but from the look of it only in the last fifty yards or so ?
    So finally that has kinda made the point - I returned to fire five of the later version of that same mold - these boolits 15 grains lighter, same powder, same lube, same everything and from the look of the strikes they make a half reasonable group - BUT about four feet lower (on the ground in front of the target) still trying to figure that one out - the strikes were in line with the hits on the target with the other boolit - no sight change ??????????????? (something must have shifted there that I havent figured yet)
    Along the way I also tried the Lyman 490 grain Snover my mate gave me ten of - all over the place!!! I did manage to fell a small branch from a grey gum tree overhead at the 300yard mark - that was kinda fun.
    So at this point the saeco mold looks my best move - I want something with enough lube that I can shoot with the blow tube. While I wait I might put a few of those LEE boolits through the lathe and shorten the nose some - it might be interesting to figure just what is the problem.
    anyway thanks for the advice
    Joe

Boolit Mold
    Lee 500-3R is OK till ya get a crosswind. Me also thinks the heavy nose is the problem. Only took about 18 months to figure that out.

Boolit Master
    It was mentioned earlier in this thread that a man was testing a pointed bullet for the 45-70 at 1500 yards and placed results on utube. I couldn't find it. Could someone be a bit more specific in describing how it could be found?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Is this the one you were looking for?

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfRqwUcas3o&t=143s

Boolit Master
    What COL is being used by those of you who have loaded the Lee 459-500-3R?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    What COL is being used by those of you who have loaded the Lee 459-500-3R?
    Load mine with the front band just touching the lands and that puts the crimp just inside the last lube groove - so the boolit is well into the case.
    When I came on here I did not know of Don McDowell or his rep as a shooter - but he has this boolit figured (maybe a bit harsh on it) we have had good results to 700 yards on calm days but a bit of wind and it all goes to h#ll -- keyholing from about 400yards out. I tried some modifications - lathe turned a small flat nose and I think that inproved it . I stuck with it too long because of those big lube grooves - shoot a long string and not foul out is pretty darn attractive

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Load mine with the front band just touching the lands and that puts the crimp just inside the last lube groove - so the boolit is well into the case.
    When I came on here I did not know of Don McDowell or his rep as a shooter - but he has this boolit figured (maybe a bit harsh on it) we have had good results to 700 yards on calm days but a bit of wind and it all goes to h#ll -- keyholing from about 400yards out. I tried some modifications - lathe turned a small flat nose and I think that inproved it . I stuck with it too long because of those big lube grooves - shoot a long string and not foul out is pretty darn attractive
    That’s probably a lot longer shooting that what I’ll be doing because of eye sight. So far the 405 hollow base is working out well but thought I might try the 500 grain as I bought the mold the same time. I cast a few of them and was eye balling the bullet beside the case and that’s about what I came up with for COL as well.

Boolit Master
    That’s probably a lot longer shooting that what I’ll be doing because of eye sight. So far the 405 hollow base is working out well but thought I might try the 500 grain as I bought the mold the same time. I cast a few of them and was eye balling the bullet beside the case and that’s about what I came up with for COL as well.
    If you only shoot to 200yards (or maybe even 300) put a decent wad under that pointy LEE boolit - you likely be surprised at how well it does - provided that you didnt get one of those undersized molds they put out when they first changed to the newer style blocks (measure some of your casting - it should be .459 and right close on the 500 grain weight) - on these big lube groove boolits its important to get the lube grooves full all the way round for accuracy.

Boolit Master
    If you only shoot to 200yards (or maybe even 300) put a decent wad under that pointy LEE boolit - you likely be surprised at how well it does - provided that you didnt get one of those undersized molds they put out when they first changed to the newer style blocks (measure some of your casting - it should be .459 and right close on the 500 grain weight) - on these big lube groove boolits its important to get the lube grooves full all the way round for accuracy.
    I just started casting a couple months ago and have been concentrating on the 405 hollow base. I finally got those dropping at 405ish and .461 to .463. I only cast a few of the 500’s and they were about 490 or a little less in weight and .458 to .459. Now that I figured out the right temperature for the lead and moulds I think I should be ok with the 500 one.
    I’m going to powder coat them as well.

Boolit Master
    I just started casting a couple months ago and have been concentrating on the 405 hollow base. I finally got those dropping at 405ish and .461 to .463. I only cast a few of the 500’s and they were about 490 or a little less in weight and .458 to .459. Now that I figured out the right temperature for the lead and moulds I think I should be ok with the 500 one.
    I’m going to powder coat them as well.
    Ahhh I only shoot black powder - assumed from your choice of molds you were doing likewise - if you gonna go smokeyless and powder coat - there no advantage (over a bunch of others) in either of those boolits

Boolit Master
    Ahhh I only shoot black powder - assumed from your choice of molds you were doing likewise - if you gonna go smokeyless and powder coat - there no advantage (over a bunch of others) in either of those boolits
    Will be using both smokeless and black powder.

Boolit Master
    Will be using both smokeless and black powder.
    Never done it but I believe powder coating would be a bad idea with blackpowder
    Dont believe either that powder coating will gain you anything at all on those LEE boolits compared to a decent grease lube. ????

Boolit Master
    I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel but so far for me this has worked out very well.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...coated-bullets

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234