MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Go-to 444 Marlin Cast Loads and brass question???

I'm A Honcho!

Go-to 444 Marlin Cast Loads and brass question???

Greetings Fellow Casters,

Save me some time and experimentation and share some good 444 Marlin Loads. Would like a couple loads...one less than 300 and one 300 or more. If youre suggesting a cast Boolit....link the mold please.

Address the following also...is Hornady Leverevolution Brass too short to crimp with Lee Dies?

Any comments welcome.

Bluejay
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    I adopted a load that another member here shared. It is a Lee 310gr over 13.5gr of Red Dot with CCI-300 LPP.
    I had been using and re-using the Rem cases of a box of 20 a few times. In the resizing process I damaged 3 cases and instead of getting rid of them, I re-used them. Those 3 cases are way shorter than the Hornady cases by a lot and I don’t see significant accuracy issue reusing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot 22grs.of 5744, 240 gr. Keith style bullet , very accurate.

I have shot the Lee 310 gr gas checked over 13 grains of Red Dot. It did well for me.

If you call cloverleafs at 25, 75 and almost at 100 yards well. I'd of had it at 100 but I pulled the last shot half an inch up and left. Still inside an inch, but not quite a cloverleaf.

Mine were lubed with BLL if you are interested.

I've also had some success with what is essentially a .44 mag moderate load assembled in .444marlin brass.

220 gr no gc, over 6 grains of Red Dot.

Very mild, low noise, almost no recoil. But I had scope mount come loose so I need to retest one of these days.

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Ed View Post
    I shoot 22grs.of 5744, 240 gr. Keith style bullet , very accurate.
    What else can I load with 5744?
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

45/70
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

Bluejay
    Have you looked on Marlinowners? http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/444-marlin/
    lots of load info there. https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0i6p53upd...mo-7g.xls?dl=0

The Tech Notes on Beartooth Bullets is another good source, http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/17

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    Bluejay
    Have you looked on Marlinowners? http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/444-marlin/
    lots of load info there. https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0i6p53upd...mo-7g.xls?dl=0

The Tech Notes on Beartooth Bullets is another good source, http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/17
    Thanks!!!!!

Im a member and didn't know that was there.

Boolit Master
    I really enjoy shooting my 444 with a 260 gr. SWC plain base with 19 gr of 5744. Fun to shoot all day.

Banned
    l have been shooting 220gr wc, 230gr wc, 245gr swc, 250gr swc and penta hp, 255gr swc, 280gr wfn gc and lfn gc and 300gr saeco fn. i have been shooting trail boss, blue dot, red dot, unique, h322, h4198, rel7 and 2400.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Idea on the Leverevolution brass - If it's say 60 mils (thousandths) shorter than regular brass, "just" get some shim stock of the appropriate thickness i.e. 60 mils, make a washer that fits under your dies out of it, and insert that for the mouth expander and boollit seater dies when using regular 444 brass, remove it for the Leverevolution brass - You'd need to reset the dies' position on those two by the same amount to make it match. For FL sizing no washer and I think for just neck sizing no washer or not, it's been a hard day so if I'm wrong there sorry, asleep on my feet at this time. Same thing as you do with a 357 / 38 Spl or 44 Mag / 44 Spl die set with a .125" washer, just a different washer.

Side question - Is there a lot of Hornady Leverevolution Brass cheap for sale out there? Had the thought that it could be used for shot shells in the 44 Magnum - hmmm. If not usable for other loads. (I have some regular 444 Marlin brass to test out for shot loads, but if someone wants to sell some Leverevolution Brass I may be ready in a month or so. I'll post a separate question thread later, not time for it yet. And going to have some Levergun questions too, then. NOT hijacking this thread tho. Maybe PM me, if my inbox is full I'll trim it soon, trying to figure out how to do that w/o losing good info!)