MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Have a can of WSF and want to load light cast bullet loads, any experiences??

Banned

Have a can of WSF and want to load light cast bullet loads, any experiences??

I discovered a can of Winchester WSF and want to use it to load .38, .32, .256, 57TCU, 7-30 Waterts, 30-30 Need some infor. will start light and study burn rates, any experience appreciated. Thank You!!

Boolit Master

In the .38 special it tracked Herco exactly for me. There is pistol load data out there from Winchester. IMO if you treat it like Unique you should be ok.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I do most of that with Red Dot myself. See no reason it can't be done. Just takes work searching.

I would start with the maker's data recipes and work from there. Cross check with a good manual.
    Take your time, pick an easy one and do the due diligence. You can do this. No shortcuts.

I have looked for info on using WSF, as I have some, in lighter loads. Its my understanding, that the powder is not the best choice for light bullets, or light loads as its erratic when its out of its optimum conditions.

I have seen data for 38 special in a the Loadbooks USA Manual I have. If it is interest to you, I can report back with the info. I dont have the book with me.

Boolit Master

Which 32?

I used a bunch of it in 45 ACP which, around 20KPSI with some minimal air space and a 230gr it was right at home. Likewise for 12ga with no air space, around 12.5K PSI like most 12 ga loads. Keep these pressures and air space ratios in mind as you develop loads.

I am not a fan of low psi, high air space loads with deterent coated WW double baseball powders. The usual paradigm of starting light and working up usually means starting out with the worst loads. 231 is not an issue because it is not a high deterrent powder.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by donald duck View Post
    I discovered a can of Winchester WSF and want to use it to load .38, .32, .256, 57TCU, 7-30 Waterts, 30-30 Need some infor. will start light and study burn rates, any experience appreciated. Thank You!!
    I've been using it in .303 British: 13.5 gr. behind a Lee 312-185-1R, powder coated.

I first tried WSF (10.1 gr., I think) as kind of a desperation measure, just trying everything, because this particular .303 is worn pretty loose, and loves to keyhole.

I was firing for pressure signs, over the club chronograph, and just had to stop & stare for a minute, when the shot-to-shot velocity differences came in around 10 fps -- about 1%. Wow.

Something like this ought to work in your .30-30 and 7-30 Waters, assuming of course that you have a solid action, and adjust appropriately for .30-30 vs. .303 case capacity.

FWIW, my 13.5 gr. .303 load above runs about 1500 fps, so you might end up having to powder coat or paper patch, if you're using cast bullets. (As I am.)

Hope this helps.

P.S. -- My .303 is a P-14, solid front-lug lockup. I do not know whether or not this WSF load would be okay in the squishy No. 1 & No. 4 SMLE action. If you're thinking .303, and want to try that, please start from square 1. Just sayin'.